Thread: The Dead Don't Die (2019)

United States

The Dead Don't Die (2019)

This looks promising. Has an all star cast including Bill Murray, Danny Glover etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5ZOcU6Bnw

Release Date: June 14
    Last edited by beat_truck; 02-Apr-2019 at 05:08 AM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    That does actually look quite fun - and thank fudge they're not runners! Seems a little more in the 'this was an important place in their lives' vein, albeit with some talking, haha. Really good cast, too, loads of names in there.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Looks like a good comedy, although I’m sure we’ll see lots of complaints about the effectiveness of the film as a zombie effort, which isn’t really the point.

United States
    Pretty random and outta nowhere.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Huh. Huh! I'm actually kinda interested!

United States
    kinda off subject, but "the mammoth book of zombies" has a story i've re-read a handful of times over the last couple decades called "the dead don't die" by robert bloch (the author of psycho). it is an awesome noir short story from 1951 that concerns a different sort of reanimation method and type of zombie. it got a super-lame and butchered film version starring george hamilton in the 70's that doesn't do the story the first bit of justice.

when i first saw this thread, i was very intrigued but as soon as i saw bill murray and the new star wars cat, i was let down big-time. trailer was amusing enough, however, so i might give it a go one of these days.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I imagine you were probably just making a point of reference, but Adam Driver is actually probably one of the best actors working today. He does what he can with what he’s given in Star Wars, but where he really shines are the smaller independent films. He’s a phenomenal actor, actually.

Murray is a legend, no need to defend that!
    Last edited by bassman; 04-Apr-2019 at 02:13 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    it got a super-lame and butchered film version starring george hamilton in the 70's that doesn't do the story the first bit of justice.
    I remember that prof.

Kid me was so excited to see it on TV one night. Just imagine my disappointment.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Aaland
    Good to see a movie with traditional, decayed shamblers for once, sick to death of freshly dead, rabid runners.
    My comic store Creepy and funny comics for sale.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    The deadpan humor definitely ain't for everyone.

Really liked the Sturgill Simpson song. Good cameo too.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Bill F'n Murray!! and I bet Danny Glover will be "Too old for this shit"
    Last edited by Zombie Snack; 27-Aug-2019 at 02:50 PM. Reason: duh duh
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

England
    Kermode is absolutely spot on with his review. I got SOME enjoyment from this, the atmosphere is great, one of dread, but overall it's kind of meh.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Kermode is absolutely spot on with his review. I got SOME enjoyment from this, the atmosphere is great, one of dread, but overall it's kind of meh.
    Yeah, I tend to trust his reviews for the most part as my taste oftentimes jives with his ... not always, certainly, but I saw his review of The Dead Don't Die. I'll check the movie out some time, but I'm in no rush - although at least now I know to leave my expectations low. Shame, really.

Aaland
    It was okay. Pacing could've been better, some parts felt very random, the jokes weren't that great and it felt tonally inconsistent. It was neat to see classic cemetery resurrection scenes, been ages since a zombie film gave us that. I liked that while the zombies occasionally did silly things they did pose a legitimate threat. What's up with them bleeding dirt/ash when killed though? Even the recently dead ones.
    My comic store Creepy and funny comics for sale.