Thread: Gay perspectives on Dawn/Day?

United States

Gay perspectives on Dawn/Day?

Hey, forum newbie here. I've been trying to find any writings/articles/blog posts/whatever that look at Romero's movies, but most specifically the original Dawn and Day, through a gay lens. I was wondering if anyone had anything! Or even your own thoughts on the subject, if you'd like!

I know the Dawn remake has a gay character (but I'm so hesitant to watch remakes), and of course there's Knightrider, but yeah. It doesn't seem like something Romero would shy away from, in his political messages and subtext, etc.

John & Bill live together in their little trailer that as far as I can tell only has one bed, and Peter & Roger always seemed really close to me. I'm not saying any of this was done intentionally (particularly Roger & Peter since I know it's supposed to be a "bond between soldiers" thing), but as a gay fan myself, it's hard not to read it that way, just for the fun of it if nothing else.

So if anyone has anything they could pass along I'd be really grateful! ^.^

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    This is going to be difficult to dig up since the films are fairly prevalent with other themes that no doubt have dominated all analysis' of the films. But there might be something out there!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Cool, welcome to the forums! Sorry I don't have any analysis of this myself to share, but I sympathize with your endeavors and wish you the best of luck. Also, y'know, I hope we can be friends. Okay, talk later!

United States
    Only one bed in Day? I gotta go back and look, never thought about them like that haha.

Also, bonus points for mentioning Knightriders!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I also never picked up on the single bed in Day! I’m not gay, but I’ve never noticed anything suggesting any gay characters in the trilogy. Interesting to hear that perspective!

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I also never picked up on the single bed in Day! I’m not gay, but I’ve never noticed anything suggesting any gay characters in the trilogy. Interesting to hear that perspective!
    Neither have I. The "one bed" thing is not very convincing either. The Three Stooges were often also shown sharing one bed, for example. That doesn't really mean much. It was during the Great Depression. Many people were lucky if they could afford to sleep on a bed, let alone have it all for themselves. Substitute the depression with a zombie apocalypse and you may get an answer as to why two or more people might have to share one bed, not because they really want to, but because they haven't got much of a choice. Add to that the fact that John obviously has got the hots for Sarah. John's only purpose left in life: live on an island and procreate with Sarah! McDermott's only purpose left in life: get fucking drunk out of his mind!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Neither have I. The "one bed" thing is not very convincing either. The Three Stooges were often also shown sharing one bed, for example. That doesn't really mean much. It was during the Great Depression. Many people were lucky if they could afford to sleep on a bed, let alone have it all for themselves. Substitute the depression with a zombie apocalypse and you may get an answer as to why two or more people might have to share one bed, not because they really want to, but because they haven't got much of a choice. Add to that the fact that John obviously has got the hots for Sarah. John's only purpose left in life: live on an island and procreate with Sarah! McDermott's only purpose left in life: get fucking drunk out of his mind!
    Freakin’ hilarious.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I think they just both share a disdain for the military hostility and the whole operation in general. They also share a vested interest in each other with one being the only pilot and the other the only one that can fix electronics.
    I am not saying it could not have worked and increased their tensions with the over whelming alpha male element in the story, but I just do not see it as it was written and presented

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Happy Pride Month, everyone!!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Happy Pride Month, everyone!!
    Cheers.

Fresh Meat

United States
    Very late to the party but I think you're actually on to something. If you want a source to back it I'd recommend reading the Dawn of the Dead novelization. It raised my eyebrow a few times when covering Roger's view of Peter. The movie doesn't have that in their head perspective but check it out. I'd also throw in Miguel in Day, more than a few viewers have assumed Sarah was not as much sleeping with him but perhaps covering for him as you can imagine Rhodes and the boys didn't need another reason to bully him.