Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead: Season 5 TRAILER

Ireland
    There are very serious problems with both series. But yeh, on the whole, 'Fear the Walking Dead' comes off the worst. But, 'The Walking Dead' has had the benefit of the comic to use as a basic skeleton to hang the skin on, as it were. 'Fear the Walking Dead' had to be it's own beast, which it failed at right from the get go, it has to be said. But, I'll be honest, I thought there were a number of episodes in S03 and S04 that were better than the flagship show, which has been getting further and further away from my interest for some time now and I'm certainly no alone in that at this point. I've probably said it before, but there's nobody in real life that gives a crap about it now and the folk that do still look at it, do so more out of habit than real interest.

As to the villain thing, with 'The Walking Dead', villains have waaaaay too much plot armour going on. Far too often they escape situations they really shouldn't and it's arguable that they shouldn't have been written into those situations to begin with. Negan is a prime example of this. There's too much of a "Stop talking, just shoot the fucker" happening.

The villains in 'Fear the Walking Dead' are worse though, in that the protagonists are constantly trying to bring the psycho villains into their flock, despite the obvious bleedin danger to EVERYONE! It's absolutely mind numbing. I had no problem really with Troy or even Martha as villains. It was the flippin good guy's dumbass actions that drove me nuts. Our "heroes" are endlessly giving the benefit of the doubt to the most obviously dangerous people, when the reality of the situation is that they've have a bullet in their head fairly sharpish. What's even more infuriating is that minor antagonists, who are of a less dangerous nature, are off'd quickly. But the truly dangerous folk are kept around, artificially.

I find myself muttering Seth Green's "just kill him" way too often with these shows.

Another problem is the inconsistency that parades around in too, re: zombie siege situations. In the Walking Dead universe, covering yourself in zombie guts is a bolted on get outta jail card and yet the characters CONSTANTLY don't use it to negate their foe. In 'Fear the Walking Dead', this has been even more egregious than it has in 'The Walking Dead'. Nick spent more time covered in shit than he didn't and yet, the characters are routinely written into zombie dilemmas which can be solved using the guts manoeuvre.

I know I've been banging on about bollocks since 'The Walking Dead' started, but it's the absolute worst aspect of both shows. It's damn near insulting really.

I've abandoned other TV shows for less writing/production crimes and I reckon that the only reason I still tune in, is because I'm still happy that there's a zombie TV show on the air. But, by christ, does it really test my patience.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I've probably said it before, but there's nobody in real life that gives a crap about it now and the folk that do still look at it, do so more out of habit than real interest.

Another problem is the inconsistency that parades around in too, re: zombie siege situations. In the Walking Dead universe, covering yourself in zombie guts is a bolted on get outta jail card and yet the characters CONSTANTLY don't use it to negate their foe. In 'Fear the Walking Dead', this has been even more egregious than it has in 'The Walking Dead'. Nick spent more time covered in shit than he didn't and yet, the characters are routinely written into zombie dilemmas which can be solved using the guts manoeuvre.
    1) That's patently untrue. Don't devolve yourself to the Twitter level of argument, you're better than that.

2) At least in TWD it was only used as a last resort. In 1x02 they were surrounded in a city full of walkers and they needed to pass through the swarm to get what they needed (the truck), but they also showed how utterly disgusting it was to do that.

Again, in 6x09 it was a last resort. Alexandria had been flooded with walkers and they needed to reach a safe place - again, passing through a herd of walkers.

Then, in season 8 it was used once again as a last resort AND the danger of using it was also shown as Gabriel ended up getting extremely ill to the point that he almost died. In the end he pulled through, but lost the sight in one eye.

So, in TWD, they've used it very sparingly and only in extreme situations where the only option is to literally pass through a herd of walkers. FearTWD, on the other hand, takes the fucking piss when it comes to using zombie guts/blood as camouflage. It infuriated to see Nick doing it all the damn time, just wandering through the wild like he was going on a stroll and that the amount he used was so minimal at times, a few smears on his face and a bit on his t-shirt. Ridiculous.

IMHO the season 8 episode entirely justified the very rare moments when it was used in TWD, but FearTWD used it as a silly crutch, but FearTWD has also done some exceptionally silly, nonsensical things (e.g. the season 4b moment where the beer guy jumps from the building and his corpse reanimates but is only wounded in a minor way - for him/it to be able to walk at all after that fall was just preposterous, similarly for the herd to be distracted by a car alarm when fresh meat is moving right there in front of them just a few feet away).

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1) That's patently untrue. Don't devolve yourself to the Twitter level of argument, you're better than that.

2) At least in TWD it was only used as a last resort. In 1x02 they were surrounded in a city full of walkers and they needed to pass through the swarm to get what they needed (the truck), but they also showed how utterly disgusting it was to do that.

Again, in 6x09 it was a last resort. Alexandria had been flooded with walkers and they needed to reach a safe place - again, passing through a herd of walkers.

Then, in season 8 it was used once again as a last resort AND the danger of using it was also shown as Gabriel ended up getting extremely ill to the point that he almost died. In the end he pulled through, but lost the sight in one eye.

So, in TWD, they've used it very sparingly and only in extreme situations where the only option is to literally pass through a herd of walkers. FearTWD, on the other hand, takes the fucking piss when it comes to using zombie guts/blood as camouflage. It infuriated to see Nick doing it all the damn time, just wandering through the wild like he was going on a stroll and that the amount he used was so minimal at times, a few smears on his face and a bit on his t-shirt. Ridiculous.

IMHO the season 8 episode entirely justified the very rare moments when it was used in TWD, but FearTWD used it as a silly crutch, but FearTWD has also done some exceptionally silly, nonsensical things (e.g. the season 4b moment where the beer guy jumps from the building and his corpse reanimates but is only wounded in a minor way - for him/it to be able to walk at all after that fall was just preposterous, similarly for the herd to be distracted by a car alarm when fresh meat is moving right there in front of them just a few feet away).
    1. That should read. Nobody I KNOW in real life...

2. It should be used all the time though, because it's shown to work on a continual basis. It's one of the most inconsistent actions in the show and it's always been ridiculous. The salient point is, it works, so these "dramatic" sieges shouldn't really be an issue. There should be no "Oh what will we do now. How do we get out of this predicament" situation. It's really silly.

The "falling from a great height and not being bothered" has plagued 'Fear the Walking Dead' since S02. It's beyond stupid.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

UK
    I've just bought series 1-5 off eBay to watch while we are waiting for TWD to finish. I have to say reading this thread I'm starting to regret the decision to buy them!!!

I watched series one back when it first aired and although it rushed the story I quite enjoyed it. Series Two I watched the first half and stopped, don't remember much about the half I saw.

If nothing else the DVDS look good at the side of my TWD ones!!!

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by DayoftheZ View Post
    I've just bought series 1-5 off eBay to watch while we are waiting for TWD to finish. I have to say reading this thread I'm starting to regret the decision to buy them!!!

I watched series one back when it first aired and although it rushed the story I quite enjoyed it. Series Two I watched the first half and stopped, don't remember much about the half I saw.

If nothing else the DVDS look good at the side of my TWD ones!!!
    The whole event that is Fear the Walking Dead should have been the events of season 1 spread over 2 or 3 normal length seasons and this particular spin off ending with them taking to the sea and it being left to our imagination what happens next to them.

I thought FtWD season 1was top telly and still do when I re-watch it. An opportunity was missed to show the outbreak properly and the rush to bring it in line with the TWD time-line ruined it.

Even season 2 had some good ideas. The coastguard were carrying out the Cobalt order on the seafaring survivors. The episode where they meet the family in the house by the shore. Even holing up in the hotel wasn't the worst.
    Last edited by MagicMoonMonkey; 04-May-2020 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo

Administrator

England
    I agree... I thought FTWD was going to really sink its teeth into that juicy bit of society falling apart and dealing with the outcome... But it seemed to skip past a lot of that very quickly
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I agree... I thought FTWD was going to really sink its teeth into that juicy bit of society falling apart and dealing with the outcome... But it seemed to skip past a lot of that very quickly
    I gave up last time when the boat got hijacked because of Alicia. I am up to the hotel bit now and have enjoyed it much more than I thought I was going to.

I think FTWD is best watched with the brain switched off, because it doesn't feel as grounded as the main show.

You are both right about Season 1 though, if they had slowed right down and told that story in full it would have been brilliant. Maybe with Scott Gimbles dream of an extended universe we may get that story one day.