Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AMC plans third walking dead series

United States

AMC plans third walking dead series

Ireland
    This isn't going to go the way they think it's going to go.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    My theory is FTWD is ending this season. No way they can have three shows at once. Even I don’t want that.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 09-Apr-2019 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Really
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    My theory is FTWD is ending this season. No way they can have three shows at once. Even I don’t want that.
    I would not be so sure:

The new drama, which is as yet untitled, will stand alongside two other series in the franchise – “The Walking Dead” and “Fear the Walking Dead” – and allow the cable network to feature content from a growing “universe” of “Walking Dead” stories for the bulk of the year, according to executives from AMC Networks, the outlet’s parent company.

“This allows us to come to the marketplace with completely uninterrupted ‘Walking Dead’ universe content from post-Super Bowl Sunday to Thanksgiving,” says Scott Collins, president of ad sales for AMC Networks, in an interview.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I would not be so sure:

The new drama, which is as yet untitled, will stand alongside two other series in the franchise – “The Walking Dead” and “Fear the Walking Dead” – and allow the cable network to feature content from a growing “universe” of “Walking Dead” stories for the bulk of the year, according to executives from AMC Networks, the outlet’s parent company.

“This allows us to come to the marketplace with completely uninterrupted ‘Walking Dead’ universe content from post-Super Bowl Sunday to Thanksgiving,” says Scott Collins, president of ad sales for AMC Networks, in an interview.
    Yeah, that’s too much.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, that’s too much.
    Yup, definitely. With two shows there's already too much zombie content on AMC. At the very least they need to cut the episode orders down on the spin-offs to, like, 8 episodes each but they sure as hell won't do that (even though, creatively, it'd be a smart thing to do rather than straining every drop from the flannel).

Yeah, I had hoped this would be part of some wrapping up of FearTWD as frankly it needs it as it has continually struggled since season 2 (too many episodes, going over plot points we've seen done before and done better on TWD etc). FearTWD really does feel like a bit of a Frankenstein's Monster of a show with two characters from TWD inserted into it and only one (actually two, if you've seen the trailer) characters from FearTWD's first season left on the show.

Season 4 got off to a great start, but then it began unravelling quickly. The back-half of the season was, sadly, pretty darn iffy (lots of filler, naff villain, beyond silly moments - the beer guy takes that huge fall but his zombie can walk perfectly fine!).

Having zombie content almost year-round on AMC smacks of corporate morons who went to Daddy's business school and have sod all idea about anything creative. There's such a thing as too much of a good thing (zombies) and FearTWD has already pushed that to the limit.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Nearly year-round content from one IP is the very definition of putting your eggs all in one basket. There’s a small chance it could pay off, but likely for a very short time period. Then it quickly becomes over-saturated. I can’t speak to the most recent episodes of the original series or FTWD, but I believe it’d be wiser to focus all the effort in making the existing series’ better.

AMC used to be one of the top tier channels for groundbreaking dramas, but once they owned their own successful series, they seem to have lost track of what put them on top...

United States
    Third series will be a 10 episode season with Matt Negrete as showrunner. He’s co-written some of TWD’s best episodes alongside Angela Kang.

Super Moderator

UK
    Third series will be a 10 episode season with Matt Negrete as showrunner. He’s co-written some of TWD’s best episodes alongside Angela Kang.
    Ten episodes? Well, at least that's something! Even AMC boardroom executives can learn (albeit slowly).

Still, though, I feel as if FearTWD needs wrapping up and then do another spin-off, you know? Plus, my other concern is then that Negrete, being one of TWD's best writers, is now getting poached away from TWD for this thing. It's a good thing for the new spin-off, but it's a bad thing for the main show. Sure, they've got a good roster of great writers on TWD, but still, one less good one on-staff isn't a help ... although it will be a good career boost for Negrete, so it's a no-brainer from his perspective.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Apr-2019 at 07:34 PM.

United States
    This new series will have to be really special and different for me to get excited. A coming of age story featuring two female protagonist doesn’t really thrill me.

United States
    aren't they also doing a set of films with rick? give it a fucking rest...

i'm not really a tech-savvy photoshop type of guy, but substitute AMC for mickey and the zombie genre for the star wars cow, and this is rather apropos.

Super Moderator

UK
    This new series will have to be really special and different for me to get excited. A coming of age story featuring two female protagonist doesn’t really thrill me.
    Yeah ... yet another civilian story in the TWD world isn't what we need. We didn't need it with FearTWD, so to seemingly have yet another civvie story in the ZA is underwhelming to put it mildly.

Ireland
    Nobody I know in real life is even caring that much about the original show. They're just waiting for it to end. Many of them say they're just watching out of habit now and I kind of understand what they mean. I think a lot of folk think it's just wandering aimlessly now.

I, myself, gave up on FTWD because it was pretty pointless and there's only a couple of people I know that are watching it. Even so, they're pretty meh about it.

So, I just don't see the point in another same old show. Sure, they can keep the "world", but they need to shake it up a little and start looking at other sectors and time periods.

However, concentrating on Joe Soap is cheap. If you're going to do other areas of society, like the military, your budget will need to be adjusted accordingly and the likes of AMC isn't going to do that. But, we've already seen ordinary Joe's battling with zombies for nearly ten years on 'The Walking Dead'.

I reckon AMC will keep churning this shit out until it flops ('Solo' style) and then they'll "re-evaluate" their position (Disney style). It's the only thing the bean counters at these companies seem to understand.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 10-Apr-2019 at 11:55 AM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

England
    Well, I'm looking forward to it... At least the zombies in the TWD universe aren't the Nike sprinter / infected variety. I still have to pinch myself that there's even one semi-decent zombie show on TV!

I hope though that they've learnt from the rather nonsensical re-animation of bodies which have fallen great heights & other equally stupid logic gaps.

United States
    I'm sure I will tune in, I'm a sucker for all things zombie related
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.