Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl (TV series)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I recently read a book called Chernobyl: A History of a Nuclear Catastrophe which dwelves into great detail. Having recently read it I had the events fairly fresh in my memory. It's amazing how the creators of the show decided to stick so close to the truth.

Amazing show. Loved pretty much all of it.

To include the Belorussian scientist played by Emily Watson, while not a real character, was also a wise creative choice.

It's directed by a Swede, who I've worked with briefly. A lot of my friends worked on the show. I knew they were shooting a series on Chernobyl, but not that it'd be this great. A lot of Swedish actors turn up. Stellan Skarsgård plays Sjerbina, David Dencik plays Gorbachev and Alexej Manvelov and Fares Fares play the two soldier sin Ep4. I work with Alexej now on another shoot.

Super Moderator

UK
    There's been a few snide articles floating about the web - nothing can gain high acclaim without someone coming along to thumb their nose at it, certainly not in the age of the Internet.

Anyway, one article I read got sniffy about the helicopter crash atop the CNPP, wrongly claiming that the show depicted the chopper as failing from radiation - but that's not what they show, they show it clipping a cable/chain (as in real life) which then causes it to crash. The only thing that changed with that event in the show was the placement of it - a bit of time compression so as to include that important stand-out moment, but understandably to do so in the episode that heavily featured the helicopter stuff. To have to cram everything in precisely at the time it happened would lead to a screenwriting mess.

There was some complaint regarding 'nuclear contamination', particularly in regard to the firefighter's wife. Now, do any of us know specifically what lead to the death of her infant soon after its birth? Perhaps not. Perhaps the difference between when an irradiated person is and isn't capable of spreading that nuclear infection could have helped (once clothing is removed and the body has been thoroughly washed it's then a case of internal poisoning for the poor soul who has been scuppered by the atom). Perhaps some of these things fall into subjective opinion, others into scientific fact, and yet more into the mists of a lack of data thanks to the Soviets wanting to keep a lid on the whole thing.

Another bone of contention for one writer of an article in Forbes seems to be the 'Bridge of Death' and the fates of those who were on it. But then again, there seems to be so little actual documented evidence of exactly who is alive and dead and who suffered consequences (cancers, birth defects etc). I do seem to recall some charity or organisation along the lines of 'Children of Chernobyl' in which they looked after a lot of children with various birth defects across mental and physical disabilities, plus a range of cancers. In that same article they decried the 'demonisation of nuclear' (despite the fact that Mazin explicitly said that was never his intention at all), but it seemed to skew off more into other issues and opinions and misunderstandings that have existed long before this show was created. Although, the article did raise an interesting point which I agreed with/understood - quite ironically the creation of nuclear weapons had led to fewer wars (and casualties of war therefore). Naturally, this is 'mutually assured destruction', now that Pandora's Box has been opened the knowledge of how to create a nuclear weapon cannot be unlearned, but the vast irony of it all is that the weapons are so devastating that they cannot be used (by any half-sensible mind, at least!) ... but weaponry and power are indeed two very different things, but common sense and honesty about these weapons and power facilities need to be maintained. The absolute farce of the safety button's flaw and why it wasn't fixed immediately, and anything like it, cannot be allowed to happen.

One of the pissier little complaints has been the use of "Comrade", however the writer had fewer instances of that until a woman who was there in Ukraine at the time went through the script and added in more instances of "Comrade".

As for Emily Watson's character - aye, makes total sense to have a representative single character to cover dozens and dozens of different people, again for narrative purposes, but it was nice to see that they flagged that up in the closing montage.

Anyway ... hopefully there'll be a nice Blu-Ray release of this. I'll certainly be picking it up! Great to see that the show has been receiving high acclaim from critics and viewers alike, and is getting seen more and more. It's a wonderfully written piece of historical drama. Certain choices that Mazin made in the first episode quite impressed me too - such as showing the suicide straight away (in case anyone Googled it and had that event 'spoiled' for them), and to show the explosion far in the distance through a kitchen window and within the first ten minutes. Conventional writing wisdom would have had the explosion nearer the end of episode one, but to show what lead towards it in the final episode in the context of the trial was an excellent way to pace it.

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4siRRMN4Nk

A video from 2016 where a group go and have a looksee at the control room for Reactor 4.

Apparently there has been a 40% rise in tourism bookings for Pripyat and the surrounding area.

There's also been some fucking "influencer" morons posing for 'sexy selfies' in Pripyat, some of them with their arses literally hanging out, or posing for 'ooh, look at me' pictures in the area. Morons with low numbers of followers (three figures, maybe squeaking into four figures) trying to get some attention - and have quite justifiably been mocked or blasted for their idiocy. It's like people who pose for selfies at concentration camps ... the obliviousness knows no bounds.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    At the end she says “what an exciting place to be!”. Yeah, it’s exciting, I’m sure, but I’d probably describe it as terrifying first and foremost!

I love watching the videos, docs, pictures, etc....but I don’t know if I’d ever have the balls to go in there, so I tip my hat to those folks.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah. I'm fascinated with the place, but I don't think I'd want to tempt fate by going there. At the very least I just know I'd be the one fucker on the tour group who'd pick up radioactive particles and have to get stripped and decontaminated ... and/or have it affect my health or something messed up.

I'm sure it's probably fine the way they're going about it, but then again do we have any kind of health stats relating to the people who regularly go there/have worked in the area for the last thirty-three years? Yeah ... I think I'm fine with some armchair tourism on this one.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah. I'm fascinated with the place, but I don't think I'd want to tempt fate by going there. At the very least I just know I'd be the one fucker on the tour group who'd pick up radioactive particles and have to get stripped and decontaminated ... and/or have it affect my health or something messed up.

I'm sure it's probably fine the way they're going about it, but then again do we have any kind of health stats relating to the people who regularly go there/have worked in the area for the last thirty-three years? Yeah ... I think I'm fine with some armchair tourism on this one.
    I still can't believe the three workers who went in the for the water valve all survived radiation free!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I still can't believe the three workers who went in the for the water valve all survived radiation free!
    Well, I guess it was down to them having far more protection compared to some white cotton coveralls like the guys in the control room, but even still it is stunning. I wouldn't be surprised if they had some sort of health issues later on, but the fact that they survived is astonishing.

The liquidators who had to go up onto the highest part of the roof - that was quite fascinating as again there was a lot of protection (including lead armour plates), but they had their strict time limit to be up there and then that was their lifetime's fill of radiation in 90 seconds. They got scrubbed down and off they went back to normal life.

What's also fascinating is how certain wildlife has thrived in the area despite the radiation.

Super Moderator

UK
    It seems Dyatlov's delusion has become something of a meme...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckdfSzN07Y

This is a fan's 'delusion montage' video ... the comments below are morbidly hilarious.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    “The reactor core has exploded!”

“It’s delusional, take it to the infirmary”

Ireland
    A decent and entertaining drama. But, no doubt highly fictionalised in some areas and it's depiction of contemporary Russia and Russians is clearly a "westernised" one to a bit of a silly degree, which was completely unnecessary.

I also never really like composite characters in general, but I liked Emily Watson in her role (she's always a good watch) and it's understandable why the producers would create this character as a means to drive the procedural part of the show, otherwise we'd have a series three times its length.

Over all though, it's pretty good and well worth a watch. But, like all supposed TV shows and movies that are "based on true events", I'd have some salt ready to be taken in regular pinches.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    “The reactor core has exploded!”

“It’s delusional, take it to the infirmary”

There's quite a few creative spins on it in the comments, isn't there?

"Netflix: HBO dies with GOT.
    HBO: Hold my Graphite."

"it's not 3 roentgen , it's 15000
    dyatlov : the decimeter is in shock , take it to the infirmary"

"It will burn and spread its poison until the entire continent is dead!
    Dyatlov: "Completely normal phenomenon, can happen with minimal radiation."

"Comrade Dyatlov did you see graphite?
    Yes i did but i was delusional. Take me to the infirmary."

"AKIMOV BREATHES
    DYATLOV: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE."

"starts vomiting his organs out
    Dyatlov: "Not good, but not terrible"

"Joffrey: I am the most delusional character in any HBO series.
    Dyatlov: Hold my graphite."

"You didn't see graphite. This is not the graphite you're looking for" - obi wan dyatlov

"Dyatlovs pencil stops working*
    Dyatlov: THERE IS NO GRAPHITE!!! Take it to the infirmary."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    A decent and entertaining drama. But, no doubt highly fictionalised in some areas and it's depiction of contemporary Russia and Russians is clearly a "westernised" one to a bit of a silly degree, which was completely unnecessary.

I also never really like composite characters in general, but I liked Emily Watson in her role (she's always a good watch) and it's understandable why the producers would create this character as a means to drive the procedural part of the show, otherwise we'd have a series three times its length.
    Watch the documentary "The Real Chernobyl" - I think you might be surprised maybe how reasonable the interpretation of the depiction of the "Russian system" was.

And don't forget, Gorbachev himself said the issues around the processes in and around the accident caused the end of the Soviet Union.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Watch the documentary "The Real Chernobyl" - I think you might be surprised maybe how reasonable the interpretation of the depiction of the "Russian system" was.

And don't forget, Gorbachev himself said the issues around the processes in and around the accident caused the end of the Soviet Union.
    Aye, that was a good little overview of the main events, a nice supplement.

Also well worth listening to is the Chernobyl Podcast, in which the writer Craig Mazin goes over each episode.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

Over all though, it's pretty good and well worth a watch. But, like all supposed TV shows and movies that are "based on true events", I'd have some salt ready to be taken in regular pinches.
    I don't agree at all. Having recently read a book on the events surrounding the accidents I found the series remarkeably accurate in it's depiction of what happened. The sole exception I can think of (apart from the stated Emily Watson character) is the depiction of Bruchanov as a villain - which by most accounts he was not.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 21-Jun-2019 at 11:07 AM. Reason: dd

Ireland

I've seen plenty of Chernobyl documentaries over the years.

That's a bit of Hyperbole on behalf of Gorby. The Soviet Union was heading inexorably toward its end long before Chernobyl happened and it would have happened with or without it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I don't agree at all. Having recently read a book on the events surrounding the accidents I found the series remarkeably accurate in it's depiction of what happened. The sole exception I can think of (apart from the stated Emily Watson character) is the depiction of Bruchanov as a villain - which by most accounts he was not.
    There are too many "villainous" roles going on and an unnecessary "evil commie" slant in the show. It comes across as a of bit petty drama. Bryukhanov is practically made up of whole cloth, and is about as fictional as Emily Watson's character. He also accepted his responsibility for the accident too. Dyatlov, as well, is almost a panto villain and was nothing like that in real life. Additionally, Shcherbina starts off as a caricature, even if he does balance out toward the end. All the KGB nonsense is pure fiction also. Legasov was interviewed, but he wasn't detained by the KGB or threatened either and he never met Chebrikov. He wasn't even at the trial, as depicted in Ep.5. Nobody followed him and he didn't have hidden tapes of information as shown at the the beginning of EP.1. The miners, as well, were never threatened at gunpoint to dig the underground tunnel to help prevent the core from further depression. All of that as done to create a certain type of sinister atmosphere and it really wasn't needed.

It's a good show, well made and, yes reasonably accurate for the most part. But, I could have done without the unnecessary and cheap political point scoring. For instance the lines by the absurdly cartoonish and completely fictional party apparatchik, "Yes, I worked in a shoe factory. And now I’m in charge. To the workers of the world." are particularly eye rolling.

On the flip side we have silly reactions from modern day Russian media claiming that 'Chernobyl' was just pure propaganda, with Russian TV station NTV writing its own version to combat HBO's, in which they're trying to claim that it was a CIA operation all along.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....