Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chernobyl (TV series)

Super Moderator

UK
    I've just realised that the actor who plays Dyatlov is the father in Friday Night Dinner (which, admittedly, I only just got around to watching last month - bingeing all six series).

Dyatlov ... what a pillocking pillock.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 12-Mar-2021 at 04:57 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've just realised that the actor who plays Dyatlov is the father in Friday Night Dinner (which, admittedly, I only just got around to watching last month - bingeing all six series).

Dyatlov ... what a pillocking pillock.
    Yes... He's great - "Shit on it!"

"Friday Night Dinner"... We still regularly watch it, even though we've seen every episode like 3-4 times!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yes... He's great - "Shit on it!"

"Friday Night Dinner"... We still regularly watch it, even though we've seen every episode like 3-4 times!
    "Alright bambinos? Any females?"

I never got into it when it first started in 2011, as I had plenty of other things to watch, and then once it was 2 or 3 series deep they still weren't really doing On Demand properly, so I was never able to catch up. However, I stumbled across it on Netflix (first five series) and then downloaded series 6 via Sky and just rinsed through them. Excellent series! It's been very tough times here lately, but FND was able to bring some much-needed wheezes of laughter.

All this talk of Chernobyl's really getting me hot to trot for a rewatch now ... I'm half-way through season one of The Man In The High Castle right now, and come Friday season three of Formula 1: Drive To Survive will be on (but considering how fast I blasted through season two last year I'll have that done in a jiffy). Perhaps I'll have a Chernobyl-shaped interlude between High Castle seasons, while I'm all hot and bothered for it.

Administrator

England
    "Alright bambinos? Any females?"

I never got into it when it first started in 2011, as I had plenty of other things to watch, and then once it was 2 or 3 series deep they still weren't really doing On Demand properly, so I was never able to catch up. However, I stumbled across it on Netflix (first five series) and then downloaded series 6 via Sky and just rinsed through them. Excellent series! It's been very tough times here lately, but FND was able to bring some much-needed wheezes of laughter.

All this talk of Chernobyl's really getting me hot to trot for a rewatch now ... I'm half-way through season one of The Man In The High Castle right now, and come Friday season three of Formula 1: Drive To Survive will be on (but considering how fast I blasted through season two last year I'll have that done in a jiffy). Perhaps I'll have a Chernobyl-shaped interlude between High Castle seasons, while I'm all hot and bothered for it.
    One last off topic Friday Night Dinner point. Did you see the 2nd or 3rd episode of the first series where Jim was talking totally normally? It was really odd! It was I believe the first episode they shot and the actor hadn't decided on the character's voice, hence him coming across as 'normal', and just not as effective (funny)!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    One last off topic Friday Night Dinner point. Did you see the 2nd or 3rd episode of the first series where Jim was talking totally normally? It was really odd! It was I believe the first episode they shot and the actor hadn't decided on the character's voice, hence him coming across as 'normal', and just not as effective (funny)!
    I'm not sure if I recall ... I think so ... might have to look again just to see. He must have settled into the voice and intonation quite quickly, although I think he sunk further into it over the first few episodes and really cemented Jim's voice.

Super Moderator

UK
    Paul Ritter - that's the name of the actor we're talking about.

Anyway - I started on my rewatch of Chernobyl last night with episode one. Again, bloody amazing. It was so clever to begin everything (well, aside from the opening sequence) with the explosion being miles away through a window, to not view it from the inside initially, and to slowly peel back the layers of just how bad the situation was, drawing the viewer in - plus the madness of the government members.

"I saw graphite."
    "No you didn't."

Administrator

England
    Paul Ritter - that's the name of the actor we're talking about.

Anyway - I started on my rewatch of Chernobyl last night with episode one. Again, bloody amazing. It was so clever to begin everything (well, aside from the opening sequence) with the explosion being miles away through a window, to not view it from the inside initially, and to slowly peel back the layers of just how bad the situation was, drawing the viewer in - plus the madness of the government members.

"I saw graphite."
    "No you didn't."
    Yes, and then go into the full detail/reveal of the explosion in the last episode...

And the music/audio is great too!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Yes, and then go into the full detail/reveal of the explosion in the last episode...

And the music/audio is great too!
    There's a great atmosphere to the music, yes - has that sense of tragic obliviousness that many of the people caught up in it had, like those people watching on from the bridge, thinking the light beaming up into the night sky was beautiful, or that sense of despair stalking closer to shove an ugly dose of realisation in the face of those right there in the middle of the disaster itself. There's an immense feeling of "uh oh" about the music, of a tragedy unfolding, of this invisible killer lurking in the atmosphere.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, I re-watched it - and it was brilliant a second time around.

Anyone else re-watched it after Ben Fogle got them revved up to do so?

Also - this haunting piece of music from the closing historical montage in episode five:

Homin Lviv Municipal Choir - Vichnaya Pamyat

Last edited by MinionZombie; 31-Mar-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Administrator

England
    Yep, epic! And the audio/music too!

And yes, watched it after the Ben Fogle thingy.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I've been re-listening to the Chernobyl podcast with writer Craig Mazin, too - excellent background information on not only the production and writing process, but on the actual history of certain people and moments from the story.

Administrator

England
    I've been re-listening to the Chernobyl podcast with writer Craig Mazin, too - excellent background information on not only the production and writing process, but on the actual history of certain people and moments from the story.
    This? - https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...t/id1459712981
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, that's the one. Highly recommended listening for fans of the miniseries, and only six 45-50 minute episodes, so it's not a huge time suck either.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 01-Apr-2021 at 10:42 AM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Aye, that's the one. Highly recommended listening for fans of the miniseries, and only six 45-50 minute episodes, so it's not a huge time suck either.
    I took your advice and recently gave the series another spin, listening to the podcasts after every episode. Thank you kindly for that recommendation! Loved it!

I discovered this may be a regular thing for HBO’s series going forward, as there is also an official podcast for Watchmen. Coincidentally, hosted by Chernobyl creator Greg Mazin. Also a fantastic way to revisit that phenomenal series!

Administrator

England
    Right up there as one of the best series ever, along with Band Of Brothers for me...
    -Carl Sagan