Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Chernobyl (TV series)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Right up there as one of the best series ever, along with Band Of Brothers for me...
    Darn tootin'.

I've watched Band of Brothers several times through over the years and no doubt I'll do the same with Chernobyl as well (twice so far).

Administrator

England
    I would include Game Of Thrones in there too, excepty the last 1-2 seasons are so poor in comparison to the rest of the series, they rip out my will to watch them all again
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I would include Game Of Thrones in there too, excepty the last 1-2 seasons are so poor in comparison to the rest of the series, they rip out my will to watch them all again
    I thought the penultimate season was really good. Didn't have any issues with it.

I think it is fair to say that season 8 felt like it was in a little too much of a rush at times, trying to tie everything up slightly quickly, but then again Seasons 7 and 8 are basically the third act of the whole thing, so their pacing should indeed be much more brisk and all aiming towards conclusion.

I had no issues with how Dany ended up - the clues were all there from season one - and I was satisfied with how everything wrapped up. It's a bit 'cool' to hate on GoT's ending, I feel, it's basically a meme unto itself at this point. Last week's episode of Inside No.9 even did their spin on it, haha!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I thought the penultimate season was really good. Didn't have any issues with it.

I think it is fair to say that season 8 felt like it was in a little too much of a rush at times, trying to tie everything up slightly quickly, but then again Seasons 7 and 8 are basically the third act of the whole thing, so their pacing should indeed be much more brisk and all aiming towards conclusion.

I had no issues with how Dany ended up - the clues were all there from season one - and I was satisfied with how everything wrapped up. It's a bit 'cool' to hate on GoT's ending, I feel, it's basically a meme unto itself at this point. Last week's episode of Inside No.9 even did their spin on it, haha!
    GoT - Season 7 was OK, but 8 for me just felt - as you say - rushed, and almost a lazy box ticking exercise, where the depth of the earlier seasons (story/characters) was squandered, almost to frustrating levels...

Anyhoo
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    GoT - Season 7 was OK, but 8 for me just felt - as you say - rushed, and almost a lazy box ticking exercise, where the depth of the earlier seasons (story/characters) was squandered, almost to frustrating levels...

Anyhoo
    I don't really agree there on 8, as I feel all that deep character legwork stuff had already been done, so why trundle through yet more of it without really adding much at this point after so many seasons and episodes of rich development. Like I said, it was time for the big-ass payoff of the whole tale's third act.

Was it perfect? No. Does it deserve the flack it has received? No.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Saw "The Lost Tapes" a little while back - very worthwhile seeing.

Lots of fascinating documentary footage throughout, as well as some quite revealing clips in the wake of the disaster and how the citizens were questioning the 'reality' that the Soviets were presenting to them. They saw the fallout with their own eyes, yet their Soviet overlords insisted otherwise.