Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: FEAR The Walking Dead - Season 5 discussion...

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, it's a bit of a rollercoaster where sometimes it can be really good and then do a sudden lurch and be pretty naff.
    Agreed. But sure you know my opinions on the show, as whole, already.

I'm not keen on Al all that much. This "I'm a journalist, I must get my story" thing feels kinda pointless in a survival scenario and her justification doesn't seem that strong (you're just leaning into the thing that meant you weren't there for your brother, and that doesn't really make any kind of sense to do). She's become a bit of an irritating character as a result, unfortunately.
    Yeh, that nonsense isn't working for me either. The recording of people's stories was fine. But the silly lengths that she goes to get "her story" is ridiculous. It lets her character down and the show as well. People doing stupid things is never a good way to progress a plot.

I think my fave characters, at the moment, in FTWD are John and Jenna Elfman, who has come on leaps and bounds since her introduction. She was an awful character in S4. Couldn't stand her and it's good to see Dwight on board too. There was a bit of an issue with getting rid of Kim Dickens as she was pretty much the anchor for the entire series, but I think they've overcome that. Far better than TWD has, which is now just a mush of meh characters at the moment, since Rick took a chopper flight.

Still though, I'm constantly in two minds about the show and I can't see that changing.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    We learned a smidge about the chopper people (e.g. some of their security protocols, that it's something big) but not much in the grand scheme of things, which added to the lack of oomph this episode had, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I think my fave characters, at the moment, in FTWD are John and Jenna Elfman, who has come on leaps and bounds since her introduction. She was an awful character in S4. Couldn't stand her and it's good to see Dwight on board too. There was a bit of an issue with getting rid of Kim Dickens as she was pretty much the anchor for the entire series, but I think they've overcome that. Far better than TWD has, which is now just a mush of meh characters at the moment, since Rick took a chopper flight.
    John and Naomi (Elfman's character) are indeed two highlights in the cast, especially John who I warmed to immediately in 4x01, and to have Dwight on board is great (although he's been absent the last couple of weeks our time because of this way of structuring everything). Season 4 did have a bit of a feel of abandonment and having to weather that storm with actors packing it in after some ropey seasons, and while the show still needs an awful lot of work to bring it up to standard, it is getting some stuff right and moving in some correct directions ... not that an episode like this one would have anyone believe that, mind you.

Although I'd argue that TWD has weathered the vanishing of Rick quite well, far better than I'd ever thought it would. It certainly has skewed to more of an ensemble show in general now, whereas before it was an ensemble show with a lead. TWD has also managed to refocus on a sense of 'community' and people working together, which had been lost for quite a while to the show's detriment, so it's nice to have that back.

Super Moderator

UK
    5x06 "The Little Prince" (aired July 7th 2019)

Directed by: Sharat Raju
    Written by: Mallory Westfall

Last week's live viewing figure was 1.71m.

So this week's episode was kinda meh. I liked bits of it here and there (i.e. Dwight & John), but there were so many bits where dialogue was written and/or performed to sound profound, and it was irritating the crap out of me.

The gaggle of kids are annoying, too.

I did like the beer bottle hot air balloon though.

United States
    They should just let the kids run off. I can’t stand these characters that just has to leave groups. Carol, June, ect. Ughhhh stop it already.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    A bunch of random survivors with the knowledge and skill to rebuild a majorly crashed airplane. In the apocalypse nonetheless
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    A bunch of random survivors with the knowledge and skill to rebuild a majorly crashed airplane. In the apocalypse nonetheless
    Yeah ... it's a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Speaking of stretches - I'm not a fan of tying the walkers together with their entrails. Sure, it looks cool, but it's rotting meat and not even big thick chunky bits, it's a wibbly wobbly flesh tube.

United States
    Yeah ... it's a bit of a stretch, isn't it?

Speaking of stretches - I'm not a fan of tying the walkers together with their entrails. Sure, it looks cool, but it's rotting meat and not even big thick chunky bits, it's a wibbly wobbly flesh tube.
    Kids doing it nonetheless. Hate it.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    5x07 "Still Standing" (aired July 14th 2019)

Directed by: Marta Cunningham
    Written by: Richard Naing

Last week's live viewing figure was 1.49m.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Jul-2019 at 09:59 AM.

United States
    I really hope they end the series this season and move over the best characters. Not as bad as last week and next week looks promising but a first half with Alicia and Morgan babysitting doesn't really scream exciting.

With a third show coming I can't see them doing all three at once. Fingers crossed.

Super Moderator

UK
    Another slip in the ratings - 5x07's live figure was 1.39m

This episode was very frustrating at times - there's Strand dragging a propeller like it'd actually weigh, but in 5x01 (and in another scene) we saw Alicia flinging a propeller blade around like it was a baseball bat ... ... ... then there's that gang of kids, who just irritate me, especially their wilfully stupid leader. You know there's a nuclear reactor in the area, you know there are irradiated zombies about, you even know the reactor is about to go into meltdown, but nope, this shonky tree house (which doesn't even have an escape ladder!) will be the ideal place to stick around. FFS!

Similarly - we've got 12-24 hours to get outta dodge with a not-quite-ready plane needing to be fixed ... ... so let's chill out by the fuel tanks and have a chat about relationships. Are you friggin' kidding me?! At least have them loading the tanks during that, or have them talking about it whilst driving, not sitting around gabbing while the clock ticks!

There were a couple of cool walkers in it though, and there was one which Alicia sees a couple of times (which is how she knows she has gone in circle), which kinda looked like a reference to the deadite hag from the death pit in Army of Darkness. I wonder if that was the case.

I have enjoyed this subplot about the nuclear reactor, although I would have liked far more of it, to be honest. The kids are really annoying, as are the various lines which feel like they are being forced to feel weighty and important, even profound ... that was really grating on me while watching this too.

Did Alicia get the blood in her mouth? Either way I guess they're killing her off now - so we'll be down to just one character from season one remaining! Kinda says it all, doesn't it? The air of 'jumping ship' in the last couple of seasons has been hanging around this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    With a third show coming I can't see them doing all three at once. Fingers crossed.
    Aye, fingers crossed!

While I've still got to catch up on the TWD comics, apparently they came to a surprise conclusion recently (no spoilers, please!). So with that in mind, perhaps Fear and the main show will be wrapping up, and with those three movies on the horizon I think we might possibly be moving into an endgame here with it all getting tied together. It needs to happen. I love TWD, but it does need to be wrapped up, even though Angela Kang has done a fantastic job of pulling it back up (hopefully it'll conclude in good form, then!). FearTWD certainly needs to be wrapped up, and the new show can come after all that (and hopefully it'll tell a very different ZA story, not just the same old civilian stories we've seen plenty of across two long-running shows).

United States
    Don’t think the main show is coming to an end anytime soon, even with the comic coming to a surprise halt.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Don’t think the main show is coming to an end anytime soon, even with the comic coming to a surprise halt.
    Maybe the main show could end, but then some newer characters from it could segue into the latest spin-off?

United States
    Maybe the main show could end, but then some newer characters from it could segue into the latest spin-off?
    I personally don't think so, that's a big risk. More than half the current audience wouldn't come back.

The main series would continue with Daryl. Norman is in till the end.

Super Moderator

UK
    5x08 "Is Anybody Out There?" (aired July 21st 2019)

Directed by: Michael E. Satrazemis
    Written by: Michael Alaimo

Last week's episode had a live viewing figure of 1.39m.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Jul-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    So I presume we'll be getting into radiation sickness in the back-half of the season.

A decent episode. Getting the plane in the air and then landed again in the dark was pretty well shot and put together, had some solid tension to it, and the setup of fuel being a resource that has now become precious (with the leftover fuel becoming unstable) will be interesting to see explored in more depth (I assume it'll be a small refinery or something).