Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FEAR The Walking Dead - Season 5 discussion...

Super Moderator

UK

FEAR The Walking Dead - Season 5 discussion...

This thread is to discuss all of Season 5 of Fear The Walking Dead - bear in mind that there will be spoilers current to the latest episode that has been broadcast as the conversation continues.

5x01 "Here to Help" (aired June 2nd 2019)

Directed by: Michael E. Satrazemis
    Written by: Ian Goldberg & Andrew Chambliss

In “Fear the Walking Dead” Season 5, the group’s mission is clear: locate survivors and help make what’s left of the world a slightly better place. With dogged determination, Morgan Jones (Lennie James) leads the group with a philosophy rooted in benevolence, community and hope. Each character believes that helping others will allow them to make up for the wrongs of their pasts. But trust won't be easily earned. Their mission of helping others will be put to the ultimate test when our group finds themselves in unchartered territory, one which will force them to face not just their pasts but also their fears. It is only through facing those fears that the group will discover an entirely new way to live, one that will leave them forever changed.

United States
    Pretty cool opening, didn’t expect our people to be flying a plane. Course it crashes lol.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    The bit where Al - of course - defies common sense and a supposed agreement with Morgan to go traipsing back to the crash site in the middle of the night (and a rain storm) to investigate the zombie wearing that weird body armour stuff (and the helmet that seems as if you can't see out of it?) wound me up something rotten, I gotta say. I was even like "don't open that in the rain, get inside your dry vehicle and have a look there!!!" ... I know why it was blocked that way for practical reasons, but it's one of those things that grates me, lol.

The plane crash bit was pretty cool, and there was some nice walker moments ... Alicia's 'broken gun barrel' weapon is crap though, get rid of it FFS. It worked for the one episode when it was introduced, but why on earth would anyone opt for that as their day-to-day weapon?

Don't care for those new kids ... kids are usually so annoying when amidst adults in TV and movies. It's surprisingly rare to find well written/not annoying kid characters, something which has been the case for decades. Every now and then you find gold (The Monster Squad, Stranger Things), but it's a rarity.

I imagine this season will be sixteen episodes long? No ruddy need for that at all.

United States
    Man, FTWD does have great cinematography, acting, make-up, and score, but the logic seems to disappear. The kind's gun jamming had me like, c'mon, man, really, this all you got, writers? And of course Al making stupid decisions to further move the plot is a mainstay on this show.

I hate kids involved in anything too. Such a pet peeve of mine. With that said, this bunch hasn't grated my nerves. Yet.

I agree 100% on Alicia's weapon. It's almost laughable.

I like Matt Frewer who plays Logan, cool to see him invloved in the TWD universe.

The body armor and the connection to Jadis definitely has ties to the Rick movies. I just hope it isn't the boring Commonwealth.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 06-Jun-2019 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Skidmark.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    Stupid characters doing stupid things again.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Alicia's 'broken gun barrel' weapon is crap though, get rid of it FFS.
    Not only that, but it doesn't penetrate the brain numerous occasions. Really sick of both TWD and FTWD's propensity for this. A number of times, characters have stuck tiny knives and whatnot into parts of zombie's heads that wouldn't have the capacity to damage the brain.

I mean, really, that kind of thing is very easy to get right.

Even worse than her gun barrel nonsense was her wielding a propeller blade after the plane crashed. That was just ridiculous. Do the writers not know how heavy one of those blades would be?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Stupid characters doing stupid things again.

Not only that, but it doesn't penetrate the brain numerous occasions. Really sick of both TWD and FTWD's propensity for this. A number of times, characters have stuck tiny knives and whatnot into parts of zombie's heads that wouldn't have the capacity to damage the brain.

I mean, really, that kind of thing is very easy to get right.

Even worse than her gun barrel nonsense was her wielding a propeller blade after the plane crashed. That was just ridiculous. Do the writers not know how heavy one of those blades would be?
    Trying too hard to be cool.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Trying too hard to be cool.
    There's a fine line between looking cool and looking stupid.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    There's a fine line between looking cool and looking stupid.
    Most def.

United States
    This show has a great look to it, I just wish the writers were not so meh.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    5x02 "The Hurt That Will Happen" (aired June 9th 2019)

Directed by: Jessica Lowrey
    Written by: Alex Delyle

FYI, viewing figures for 5x01 were 1.97m ... season four premiered to 4.09m, no doubt helped by the cross-over and the reboot factor. Season 4 ended on 2.13m.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 10-Jun-2019 at 04:08 PM.

United States
    Looks like my man Strand is done.

Super Moderator

UK
    Again, some iffy bits in this one - Luciana dopily waltzing outside "Hello? Is anyone there?", and then trying to shoot several zombies while severely wounded ... just far too silly for a hardened survivor to be carrying on like that.

I really enjoyed the stuff with the lady who is dealing with trying to solve the nuclear plant issue and tracking down contaminated walkers. That was a really interesting aspect (and now Morgan is without that ruddy stick, haha ... if only Alicia's stupid gun barrel weapon could have been contaminated!), and it's nice to see a non-civilian story get touched upon there, something kind of related to trying to manage certain situations in the wake of a ZA.

Looks like my man Strand is done.
    How so?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Again, some iffy bits in this one - Luciana dopily waltzing outside "Hello? Is anyone there?", and then trying to shoot several zombies while severely wounded ... just far too silly for a hardened survivor to be carrying on like that.

I really enjoyed the stuff with the lady who is dealing with trying to solve the nuclear plant issue and tracking down contaminated walkers. That was a really interesting aspect (and now Morgan is without that ruddy stick, haha ... if only Alicia's stupid gun barrel weapon could have been contaminated!), and it's nice to see a non-civilian story get touched upon there, something kind of related to trying to manage certain situations in the wake of a ZA.

How so?
    I'm assuming Strand got contaminated while taking out those walkers outside of Daniel's place out of anger. Clearly they displayed blood splattering all over him on purpose. Give it time. Hopefully not.

Between Alicia and Luciana I was shaking my head.

Not bad. Not great, but I'm intrigued.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm assuming Strand got contaminated while taking out those walkers outside of Daniel's place out of anger. Clearly they displayed blood splattering all over him on purpose. Give it time. Hopefully not.

Between Alicia and Luciana I was shaking my head.
    1) Hmmm ... I didn't notice that ... but he needs a plane, so isn't he far enough away?

2) Oh yeah, that was something I forgot - friggin' Alicia and her pissy ways in this episode, all that posturing bullshit and ignoring NUCLEAR RADIATION CONTAMINATED ZOMBIES as a proper threat ... and perhaps if you had a real weapon, not a broken gun barrel (seriously, get rid of that ridiculous fucking thing!!!), you might have been able to pop them off from a distance! I get that she's all bummed out after certain events, but christ, it's not as if she's the only one hurting, and to be so wilfully stupid and/or beligerant in these sort of scenarios just makes me want her to be killed off the show. I never really connected with her character from the get-go. Grrrr ... bah!

United States
    Strand was farther away but this is the FTWD writing team we talking about here lol.