Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Boys (Amazon series)

Administrator

England

The Boys (Amazon series)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Ooh, looks good.

Supes have been committing atrocities, which keep getting swept under the rug because they are revered by the adoring public. Billy Butcher recruits The Boys who have all been wronged by The Seven, the world’s most notorious superheroes, to bring them down and stop the corruption. Based on the best-selling comics by Garth Ennis, The Boys is a revenge story where the nobodies take on the somebodies.
    Sounds good, too.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I really enjoyed this series/season! I wasn’t very familiar with the comic, but the best comparison I can make is that it’s Watchmen with dark comedy. Great actors all around, and Karl Urban continues to be my man-crush.

Super Moderator

UK
    Glad to hear it's good.

I've got the episodes, but I've not got around to them yet (but will do soon).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I really enjoyed this series/season! I wasn’t very familiar with the comic, but the best comparison I can make is that it’s Watchmen with dark comedy. Great actors all around, and Karl Urban continues to be my man-crush.
    I'll be watching this
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Just finished it last night. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Some really good casting in the show, too - particularly Antony Starr as Homelander. He can pull off the heroic "all American" look, and then with a subtle change, the cracks appear with that slightly askew sneer and that distant stare.

The show occasionally goes a bit heavy handed here or there in terms of 'hot topics', but by the end it mostly finds some more interesting grey areas to explore:
    e.g.

In the wake of being sidelined by Vought for sexual assault, The Deep ends up also being a victim of sexual assault by that fangirl who aggressively probes his gills.

Also, as revealed in the last couple of episodes, the truth about Homelander and Billy Butcher's wife.

I was a little worried at the beginning that The Seven would just be a bunch of one-note arseholes, but it was great to see much more depth being brought to the main players to better round out their characters, and yet at the same time, they've all got different levels of depth.

So yeah - rather good!

Now ... let's see, ah, GLOW's third season starts today. Right! Onto the next binge watch!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I forgot about the new season of Glow! Got my weekend binge planned out now!

I really enjoyed the main actor(don’t know his name) in The Boys. In many ways he felt a lot like Bill Hader’s character in Barry. Or maybe that’s just because the dual nature of the roles are similar.

Come to think of it, he even LOOKS similar to Bill Hader. Like Hader and Rain Wilson had a love child.
    Last edited by bassman; 09-Aug-2019 at 01:02 PM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I really enjoyed the main actor(don’t know his name) in The Boys. In many ways he felt a lot like Bill Hader’s character in Barry. Or maybe that’s just because the dual nature of the roles are similar.
    Aye, the guy playing Hughie did a great job - again, nailing the different facets of the character's conflicted journey quite deftly, overwhelmed at times but then when he's put into a do or die moment he can step up and save his skin, and on top of that you've also got the fish out of water stuff.

Administrator

England
    Six episodes in and really enjoying it. Almost can't bring myself to watch the final two now, as I don't want to no doubt be left on a horrible cliff hanger
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    I am way behind on tv watching but my wife turned me onto this. Freaking fantastic. I absolutely loved this show. Great cast great acting. And my always constant and never waving boyhood crush, Elizabeth Shue was officially replaced by Starlight.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Last I heard, season two was set to premiere summer 2020. We know they have long since finished filming, so maybe there’s a chance we’ll get the new season dropped early for everyone in quarantine? It’s happened for other movies/shows...

Super Moderator

UK
    Last I heard, season two was set to premiere summer 2020. We know they have long since finished filming, so maybe there’s a chance we’ll get the new season dropped early for everyone in quarantine? It’s happened for other movies/shows...
    I wonder what their situation is with post-production, though?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I wonder what their situation is with post-production, though?
    Unknown, but they had finished filming before the end of 2019 if I’m not mistaken, so hopefully the edits are locked and they’re working on effects from home, if that’s possible?

I haven’t heard that season two could drop early, it was just an optimistic prediction based on some other shows during these times. We can hope, anyway...

Super Moderator

UK
    Unknown, but they had finished filming before the end of 2019 if I’m not mistaken, so hopefully the edits are locked and they’re working on effects from home, if that’s possible?

I haven’t heard that season two could drop early, it was just an optimistic prediction based on some other shows during these times. We can hope, anyway...
    Hmmm ... there's so much that goes into post-production (apparently one of the main reasons for the season finale delay for TWD is down to visual effects). Not everything can be done from home/remotely, necessarily. I guess it does depend on how far they've got. Maybe they have got it all done, but I wouldn't necessarily think they'd release it earlier. There's going to be a big jumble in release dates for so many things that it's all pretty up-in-the-air right now.

However, it's interesting that some animation projects are still in full work flow. I have a colleague who's working on an animated film right now and they're continuing to hit all their original production targets, but they're working from home instead and using video conferencing and getting temp dialogue tracks recorded via Skype etc direct from the actors' homes (naturally they'd have to re-record them properly in a studio as-and-when).

Some systems won't lend themselves to being taken home (and perhaps insurance even complicates it further?), but other things would be do-able from home, but I doubt there's consistency across the board in a single project's post-production.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 04-Apr-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I am way behind on tv watching but my wife turned me onto this. Freaking fantastic. I absolutely loved this show. Great cast great acting. And my always constant and never waving boyhood crush, Elizabeth Shue was officially replaced by Starlight.
    Yeh... Hope the next season can be as good!
    -Carl Sagan