Super Moderator

UK

Top Gun: Maverick (film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ade7YuZYk6M

The flight footage looks fantastic!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Those shots of Maverick piloting the jets are indeed fantastic! I haven’t seen anything about it, but with it being Tom Cruise, I imagine it’s all real?

I’m one of the few people here that likes Tony Scott’s original film, so I’ve always had my fingers crossed for this sequel. Looks like a nice continuation with some nice new imagery!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Those shots of Maverick piloting the jets are indeed fantastic! I haven’t seen anything about it, but with it being Tom Cruise, I imagine it’s all real?

I’m one of the few people here that likes Tony Scott’s original film, so I’ve always had my fingers crossed for this sequel. Looks like a nice continuation with some nice new imagery!
    Oh yeah, Cruise was talking about filming inside the planes - just as they did for the original movie.

If that was CGI you'd be able to tell. You wouldn't quite be able to put your finger on it, but there's just something uncanny that would spoil it - but in those shots you can just see and feel the g-force, how the plane moves, the weight shifting, the light moving etc ... it's like in the latest Mission: Impossible with that helicopter chase climax, you can just feel the reality of it and it's all the more impressive.

I've only seen the original movie a couple of times (and not for a good while now), but I did quite enjoy it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, I definitely felt like it was real, but these days it can often be hard to tell. When the plane leaves the carrier and Cruise jolts forward and back again, I was convinced it was real.

Gonna be amazing watching those shots on the big screen!
    Last edited by bassman; 19-Jul-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    Cruise seems to like doing thing as close as too real as possible
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Cruise seems to like doing thing as close as too real as possible
    I think that was the reason he started producing his own movies, because he wasn't being allowed by other producers to do the stunts he wanted, so with him as producer he could do all these insane stunts for real - which is why the M:I movies took a real leap with the derring-do.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 20-Jul-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Can you imagine the extra insurance paperwork that has to be done for Cruise before each film?? It can’t be easy, especially for a guy pushing sixty.

The viewers all benefit from it, though! Even if you’re not a fan of his big actioners these days, you have to give the guy credit: he knows how to make a movie seem like an event!

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I think that was the reason he started producing his own movies, because he wasn't being allowed by other producers to do the stunts he wanted, so with him as producer he could do all these insane stunts for real - which is why the M:I movies took a real leap with the derring-do.
    It also maybe, just maybe, has to do with the fact that he is 100% certifiably insane. I mean, the guy actually believes that we all are aliens who were put inside volcanoes and then "vaporized" by nuclear bombs millions of years ago...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I know it’s been a joke for years and all, but I don’t see how his religious beliefs could factor into the quality of his work output. Dude knows how to entertain.

Administrator

England
    ...and three years later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5tRL0T8gsQ
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Watched the original over the weekend. God, I'd forgotten how cheesy (almost painful) some of the story/dialogue was. Some of it hasn't aged well
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Watched the original over the weekend. God, I'd forgotten how cheesy (almost painful) some of the story/dialogue was. Some of it hasn't aged well
    It's absolute shite. It's always been absolute shite.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....