Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian (TV series)

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

3) Rogue One worked very well, and was helped by keeping it's link to the main films quite light. There's bits of links (e.g. Akbar, Leia) scattered about, and then a bigger link with Vader (who they actually made scary and intimidating again after the prequels shat all over him) and of course Tarkin, but it did benefit from predominantly being a new set of characters on a defined mission that is directly linked to the start of Ep4. There was a little bit of appropriate humour tossed in (the droid), some emotional impact (everyone fucking dies!), and it was well paced and had good spectacle (the tropical beach finale). I even liked that they didn't force a romance into Rogue One between the two leads - just that final look and a supportive holding of hands as they looked at their impending doom, knowing that they had succeeded in their task together. That was far more impactful and memorable.
    'Rogue One' worked because Edwards was a genuine fan of the 1977 film and not just paying lip service, like other Disney directors and Kathleen Kennedy interference aside, he did a decent job steering the film in the right direction. I feel he may have got shafted when Kennedy brought in Tony Gilroy to do things slightly differently with the ending though. I'd really like to see Edward's version as he had originally envisioned it.

'Rogue One' is easily the best movie that Disney has put out and is simply light years ahead of the sequel trash and the lamentably mediocre 'Solo', which should never have gotten past bad idea stage. But, it's not without flaws. They got a bit too overzealous with their CGI Tarkin and that unnecessary Leia frontal shot at the end was just terrible. There's no way around it. There's a bit of gratuitous fan service scattered here and there too that could have been left out for the better and a touch of the Strong Woman TM nonsense going on with 5ft nothing 80lb Jyn Erso, as she beats the shite out of 6ft tall armed and armoured Stormtroopers, which was a bit much really. But, in the end these are all just minor quibbles.

On it's plus side, it features realistic and logical characters (for a fantasy anyway) and despite them not being well received by some people, I found them to be engaging. It's tone is perfect too and how it links up with 'Star Wars' is a grade a example of how to do a prequel film. My appreciation for it has continued to grow and I thought it was great the first time I watched it, whereas, on the other hand, my disdain for the sequel movies just gets more and more distinct.

Agreed on the lack of silly romance, which I thought was great too. It was far more touching (if one could say that about a silly Star Wars film) to see two people silently trade "what ifs" with their faces, as their visible end comes hurtling toward them.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Third episode - again, really enjoyed it.

Yeah, this 'Baby Yoda' (for lack of a better name - 'cos surely it can't be Yoda, as this is only set a few years after ROTJ and yet 'Baby Yoda' is 50 years old) is a combination of practical and CGI - the latter for more complicated movements (e.g. eating a frog in the second episode, or climbing out of its 'egg carriage' thing), and the former for the simpler and more intimate smaller moments.

I particularly loved how much emotion as well as how much internal thought going on for 'Mando' is conveyed almost totally silently and just in little gestures (e.g. the silver ball on that lever). It gives you character development, emotional investment, as well as continuing mystery and intrigue. It's perfectly balanced.

United States
    This is the Star Wars I cherish.

Loving every minute of this series.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Latest episode was pretty darn cool, too.

The ATST walker was well utilised - I dug the idea of old tech and weapons from the war falling into the wrong hands and being used by these roaming gangs. Indeed, they also made it quite intimidating (the red lights in the 'eye holes', the way it emerged from the forest, the sound of it) and the action was good solid stuff.

I also really enjoyed Gina Carano's character. Hopefully she'll return as they made a good team, her and Mando.

Plus - 'Baby Yoda'/The Kid messing with the buttons on the ship was great.

Administrator

England
    Well, my other half started having ago at me during ep4 due to how many times I was going ahhhh.... awwww.... over the mini-Yoda
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Ep 5 was a bit middling for me, although I'm not sure if it was the episode itself or me and my own anticipation. It wasn't bad by any means, it was just a bit 'meh' after the previous four being so damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, my other half started having ago at me during ep4 due to how many times I was going ahhhh.... awwww.... over the mini-Yoda

Well, it is pretty cute!

United States
    I'm glad they killed off that young aspiring BH already.

I'll bet a dollar that's why MZ found E5 "meh".
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I'm glad they killed off that young aspiring BH already.

I'll bet a dollar that's why MZ found E5 "meh".
    hehe, yeah. The character was a bit 'meh', but also the plot surrounding him. Perhaps it'll connect a bit more later, but it kinda felt a bit disconnected from everything ... a bit 'why are we here doing this?'

United States
    hehe, yeah. The character was a bit 'meh', but also the plot surrounding him. Perhaps it'll connect a bit more later, but it kinda felt a bit disconnected from everything ... a bit 'why are we here doing this?'
    I accepted the fact that this series will always be structured this way. Reminds me of the format of an 80’s animated series; and I’m ok with that.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I accepted the fact that this series will always be structured this way. Reminds me of the format of an 80’s animated series; and I’m ok with that.
    Oh, I know, and it wasn't quite what I was getting at ... it's just that I didn't really find the fifth episode all that compelling, whereas - for example - the fourth episode struck a much better balance. It was a self-contained little story, but it was also a part of the overall (e.g. Mando looking for a quiet place to leave "The Kid" to keep it safe, but because of the location he chose having it's own strife it draws too much attention from that isolated plot and then it impacts the overarching story). This latest episode felt a bit too 'loose' from that, and so it was one of the reasons I didn't enjoy it as much (not that it was bad by any means, just by comparison).

Ireland
    The first 3 episodes were fine. 4 was crap. And 5 feels like more filler, which in a series with just 8 episodes is a head scratcher indeed.

It's a strange old show so far. Not unentertaining, but very curiously structured.

United States
    Oh, I know, and it wasn't quite what I was getting at ... it's just that I didn't really find the fifth episode all that compelling, whereas - for example - the fourth episode struck a much better balance. It was a self-contained little story, but it was also a part of the overall (e.g. Mando looking for a quiet place to leave "The Kid" to keep it safe, but because of the location he chose having it's own strife it draws too much attention from that isolated plot and then it impacts the overarching story). This latest episode felt a bit too 'loose' from that, and so it was one of the reasons I didn't enjoy it as much (not that it was bad by any means, just by comparison).
    Aye, I definitely understand.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 10-Dec-2019 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Coolest guy in the galaxy.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The first 3 episodes were fine. 4 was crap. And 5 feels like more filler, which in a series with just 8 episodes is a head scratcher indeed.
    Eh???

Ireland
    Eh???
    Yeh, thought Ep.4 was pretty poor. It's story is kinda silly, Gina Carano can't act, there's an insipid attempt at romance and the whole plan to get rid of the AT-ST was just nonsense.

The first 3 episodes were building fine and then by episode 3, it's become the Mando doing nixers. Strange to have fillers on such a short run series.

United States
    Love this show. So refreshing.