Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian (TV series)

United States
    I knew it was the best Star Wars in recent times just within the first few minutes of the first episode.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, I've done the first season a couple of times now - and very much looking forward to the second season.

It really helps that it's set within a familiar universe but the characters are all new, so the show doesn't have to service any prior films or dance around pillars of story that are set in concrete, you know?

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It really helps that it's set within a familiar universe but the characters are all new, so the show doesn't have to service any prior films or dance around pillars of story that are set in concrete, you know?
    It's about bloody time Disney figured that out.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's about bloody time Disney figured that out.

Or rather, Jon Favreau figured it out for them.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 15-Oct-2020 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Realised I posted stuff meant for a different thread - oopsy daisy!

United States
    through osmosis, my son picked up on the baby yoda craze. while i had shown him a few star wars films (the originals and prequels of course, fuck the disney sequels), we hadn't paid any attention to this show.

but then, on his 4th birthday, he got "the child" as one of his gifts, and was really wanting to see "the baby yoda show"....i had heard nothing but high praise for the mandolorian from people from all walks of life that i know, so we ponied up for disney plus last week.....

....and binged the entire thing in two days, which was pretty fun. it totally lived up the hype, gave me faith again in star wars and its future after almost 15 years, and has me eagerly awaiting the second season coming out later this month.

my son, named lucas, or luke for short, is now known as "the mandolukian" and is pretty much joined at the hip with the child. don't know who's a bigger fan of the show, but we're both pumped about more adventures of that odd pairing.

this is the motherfucking way.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 15-Oct-2020 at 02:50 AM. Reason: a complicated business

Super Moderator

UK
    So ... season 2, episode 1 ... thoughts anyone?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    So ... season 2, episode 1 ... thoughts anyone?
    I really enjoyed it. Had good character touches and a great ending.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    my son and i watched it last night, thought it was a great way to start the second season. timothy olyphant was excellent as always. if I'm not mistaken, that was boba fett's armor that he was in possession of? I have a feeling we may see more of his character later in the season. thought the giant sand monster was pretty awesome, even though I saw the final method of getting rid of it from a mile away.

after blowing through the first season in a single weekend it's gonna be different taking this new season a week at a time.

Great Britain
    It's just fantastic, the special effects are movie quality, I also do like bottle episodes, I know a few people complain about them but I like how the story isn't rushed.

Best thing on TV now that The Boys has finished.

Super Moderator

UK
    I was a bit lukewarm on this episode, I'm surprised to say.

I kinda wandered how it really fits into the main quest, as it were ... it kinda felt like a side quest when you're playing a sandbox game and you go off the main mission path. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it quite a bit, but did it also really need to be 52 minutes long? I dearly hope they're not going to do longer episodes all this season, because that 27-33 minute running time was ideal last season.

Big fan of Olyphant (folks should check out Santa Clarita Diet), so that's always a plus, but yeah ... not sure if it was my own expectations to a degree, but I felt a bit lukewarm about 2x01.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I figured the longer run time is probably just down to the fact that Favreau directed it. As Disney’s second only to Kevin Feige, he was probably given free reign. The aspect ratio changes were also because he filmed the big sequences with IMAX equipment. Really pulled out all the stops.

Prof, that was indeed Boba’s armor. Although not confirmed, that was most likely Boba himself at the end. Same actor that played his father, Jango, who Boba is a clone of.

Lots of great references in this episode. The R5 unit is the same one Luke and Owen traded back for R2, the Marshall’s Pod speeder appears to be Anakin’s, the sand people travel single-file like Kenobi told Luke, and of course the first appearance of a living Krayt. And more of a fun trivia bit: the one-eyed gangster in the beginning is Cholo himself, John Leguizamo.
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Nov-2020 at 10:29 PM. Reason: .

Great Britain
    Episode 2 watched still loving it, special effects in this series are on point, also when baby Yoda eats one the of baby spiders how much did it look like a facehugger lol
    Last edited by paranoid101; 06-Nov-2020 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spider

Super Moderator

UK
    Enjoyed the episode. 40 minutes was plenty long enough (say 37 minutes when you take out the credits). As I've said before, I hope they don't elongate episodes unnecessarily.

As for The Child in this episode...

He kinda was a bit of a l'il psychopath in this episode, eating that lady frog's baby eggs.

Sure, he doesn't understand what they are, but geez kiddo ... that last little gobble was like a last 'fuck you' to close the episode, haha!

Super Moderator

UK
    So we're six episodes deep now and I'm really enjoying it.

Some parts have felt a little bit 'side questy', as everyone who can help always needs Mando to do some chore for them, haha, but in recent episodes it has rediscovered a bit more propulsion for the main story, I feel.

The sixth episode (directed by Robert Rodriguez) was really good.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I absolutely love this show! It’s the best piece of Star Wars universe, in my opinion. And I love that it’s essentially a 1940s/50s serial western. Bummed that there are only two episodes left of this season, but stoked to see what the future holds for ol’ Mando.