Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mandalorian (TV series)

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

The Mandalorian (TV series)

Trailer for Jon Favreau’s The Mandalorian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOC8E8z_ifw

Star Wars has had many highs and lows with the fans recently, but I’m super excited for this show!

Administrator

England
    Fingers crossed!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Ooh, that does look good - and Werner Herzog is in this?!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Ooh, that does look good - and Werner Herzog is in this?!
    Herzog, Carl Weathers, Giancarlo Esposito, Pedro Pascal, Taiki Waititi, and even Nick friggin Nolte! Crazy cast, and all of it under Favreau’s direction?? Could be something special!

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    It looks cool, sure, but only on Disney+? BS.

Administrator

England
    Taiki Waititi? Nick Nolte? Really?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Trailer for Jon Favreau’s The Mandalorian:

Star Wars has had many highs and lows with the fans recently, but I’m super excited for this show!
    Looks good and the tone seems to be to my liking. Werner Herzog, LOL.

As someone who was merely meh about 'The Force Awakens' and thought 'The Last Jedi' was absolute rubbish, I've long since abandoned Diswars. The only thing they've done that's been any way good was 'Rogue One', which I thought was an excellent film. But I couldn't care less about 'The Rise of Skywalker' and when the sequel trilogy is over, I won't bat a single hair on my eyelid.

But this show promises a lot.

The main problem with Star Wars, though, is Star Wars, which can be brilliant one the on hand and also utter shite on the other. It's a ying and yang and to paraphrase a certain idiot, "you never know your going to get."
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 24-Aug-2019 at 06:36 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    It looks cool, sure, but only on Disney+? BS.
    Disney is making a huge push to dominate the streaming war. With their insane amount of properties, including original content such as this, they may very well win...

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Taiki Waititi? Nick Nolte? Really?
    Waititi is helming an episode, I’m not sure of his acting involvement, but I would imagine it’s a smaller role. Maybe an alien voiceover?

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Disney is making a huge push to dominate the streaming war. With their insane amount of properties, including original content such as this, they may very well win...
    What a dystopia that'll be. But hey, what can you expect from capitalism, amIright?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    What a dystopia that'll be. But hey, what can you expect from capitalism, amIright?
    Competition.

Anyway, this looks great. But I won't watch it, because I'm not really into Star Wars anymore, and I won't get Disney+ either.

One curious thing, releasing this a month before the next Star Wars film, is that really a good move? I think after the last film a lot of people are on the fence on whether to watch the new one or not (It'll still make huge bucks, of course) but there is definetly a theory called "Theatricality" - essentially, people will not go to watch films that they feel that they can see at home while streaming. This show seems more interesting than the film they're putting out the next month. It's got to hurt the box office somehow, even if just a little.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    One curious thing, releasing this a month before the next Star Wars film, is that really a good move? I think after the last film a lot of people are on the fence on whether to watch the new one or not (It'll still make huge bucks, of course) but there is definetly a theory called "Theatricality" - essentially, people will not go to watch films that they feel that they can see at home while streaming. This show seems more interesting than the film they're putting out the next month. It's got to hurt the box office somehow, even if just a little.
    I’d thought the same thing, but I’m guessing their plan with Star Wars will be similar to their plan with Marvel, which is to alternate between streaming and theatrical premieres, creating very small windows of downtime without content. If not handled well, it can quickly turn into content overload, but we’ll see...
    Last edited by bassman; 25-Aug-2019 at 02:47 PM. Reason: .

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    One curious thing, releasing this a month before the next Star Wars film, is that really a good move?
    They're trying to use it to generate enthusiasm for 'The Rise of Skywalker'. They'll have a hard time doing that with a lot of folk, including myself.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Banned
    Banned User

United States

Lol, nice. But Ned, innovation can exist (and does, far more easily and quickly) without the need for competitive pressures getting involved. So I'll ask you to stan some other facet of capitalism, if you wish, but yeah, it's completely evil and y'all need to realize that. I would think that Dawn of the Dead had already taught us all of this. Anyway, yeah, I don't see this going well. The whole Disney+/Star Wars thing that we're actually talking about.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Lol, nice. But Ned, innovation can exist (and does, far more easily and quickly) without the need for competitive pressures getting involved. So I'll ask you to stan some other facet of capitalism, if you wish, but yeah, it's completely evil and y'all need to realize that. I would think that Dawn of the Dead had already taught us all of this. Anyway, yeah, I don't see this going well. The whole Disney+/Star Wars thing that we're actually talking about.
    Capitalism made it possible for you to express your opinion freely. So I guess that's another point in favor of capitalism.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 26-Aug-2019 at 05:51 AM. Reason: fdsfs

Super Moderator

UK
    Please do not derail this thread any further with politics. Thank you.