Thread: Joker (film)

Administrator

England

Joker (film)

Well it's dividing the critics big time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAGVQLHvwOY
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Is it? All I've heard are good things about it.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    That trailer looks pretty amazing. I'm actually excited for it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Looks dumb.

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uVWmZ_ObwM

Mark Kermode's review.

Simon Mayo - "After Dark Knight, I thought no one needs to do the Joker again."
    Mark Kermode - "So did I, and I was wrong."
    As an aside, to see other critics out there in the world condemning this movie as "irresponsible" - while having NOT watched the movie - is pretty damn bad. You know who else condemned movies without seeing them? Mary Whitehouse. Critics abandoning their 'duty' (if you will allow such a word to describe reviewing movies) to force an ideological - and, frankly, censorious - point is something that actually is offensive.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It’s crazy how this movie has ruffled so many feathers. I’ve yet to see it, so I can’t comment on the film itself, but just the idea of a batman/joker movie making national news cycles for fear of inciting violence?? Similar comic stories have been around for decades.

United States
    It’s funny. Critics are saying it’s too dark and violent. That’s exactly what the director was trying to say with the film. The critics are proving Joker’s message right! Everything Joker pointed out in the film is happening right before our eyes in this current day.

Incredible film.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    It’s funny. Critics are saying it’s too dark and violent. That’s exactly what the director was trying to say with the film. The critics are proving Joker’s message right! Everything Joker pointed out in the film is happening right before our eyes in this current day.

Incredible film.
    Good thing it's rated R then, isn't it? As if, perhaps, that's some kind of guide in regards to content and who the cinema audience should be?

The dopes biting their nails about this movie are, well, dopes. Indeed, I see a cinema cancelled a screening because of a credible threat - now, whether anything or not would have happened, I can't imagine the clickbait news 'churnalism' around this film has helped. They want to preach about 'media influence', but narrative fiction won't influence a normal mind ... news media on the other hand does influence normal minds through trickery, false information dressed up as legit, and other forms of less-than-respectable behaviour in the name of chasing an audience.

Now, people that are capable of violence got there on their own or through real-world influences (e.g. an abusive upbringing, or chemical imbalances in the brain, or even malformations in the brain etc etc etc). If movies, music, games etc actually were capable of inciting violence we'd have seen a vast swathe of violence erupting from all sorts of movies/music/games - but we haven't - in fact the amount of violence in our world is lower than it has ever been. Reporting of the violence, though, has increased massively.

There's a whiff of the news media almost wishing something bad will happen so they have something to talk about. Now that is fucked up, that is an actual problem, and those pushing that narrative and getting all trembly-knee'd about "The Joker" need to have a very, very, very long hard look in the mirror.

I'm a firm believer in "art immitates life, not the other way around". Art is a reflection of the real world.

No movie, game, piece of music, painting et al ever killed someone. Fervent and misguided ideology on the other hand, religion, dictators, etc ... a great deal of harm has been caused by all that.

United States
    i am going to see this with my brother tomorrow evening, and i've heard some pretty good things about it....however, i have read a few cunty articles online crying about this "glorifying white terrorism" and "celebrating incel martyrs" while being too violent. i suspect though, that if the joker was portrayed as a bisexual minority woman with autism they would be celebrating this as one of the most important and satisfying films of the year.

- - - Updated - - -

so i just got back from seeing this, and it lived up to the hype in my opinion. it's a bit of a slow-burn, but really picks up a lot of steam and insanity towards the last act. phoenix's performance is really as good as critics have been saying. there were a couple of moments where i was almost uncomfortable in my seat and could feel my heart beating a little harder than i expected. there were a few musical selections that really worked well with the film, and the general tone and vibe of gotham really helped immerse you into the story. i did have a couple minor complaints, but they are slightly spoiler-ish so i won't go into them just yet.

it's not too often these days that i purchase physical versions of newly-released films, but i'll be picking this one up on blu-ray for sure. the wife said she wouldn't mind seeing this, so i may end up catching it in theaters again. 9/10

Super Moderator

UK
    Speaking of music in the film:
    https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/moviegoe...090304232.html

It's not the first time a Glitter song has ended up in the soundtrack to a movie or TV show in America. IIRC one of his songs was in an episode of Glee?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Looks dumb.
    I take that back. I liked it a lot. I had a great time at the cinema. Also felt completely grounded, something which I don't think I've ever seen a comic book film attempt before. It could all play out like this.

There are some scenes which I absolutely loved.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Speaking of music in the film:
    https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/moviegoe...090304232.html

It's not the first time a Glitter song has ended up in the soundtrack to a movie or TV show in America. IIRC one of his songs was in an episode of Glee?
    until today, i had no idea what the name of that song was, the guy who performed it, or his criminal history. i suppose it's no wonder i hadn't heard it in ages, but it used to get played a ton at sporting events and in all sorts of commercials here in the states. i hadn't heard it in forever it seems, but as soon as the drums kicked in i instantly recognized it...at first it seemed a bit of an odd choice, but within seconds of hearing it i was smiling and almost got goosebumps. the musician's controversial past doesn't matter to me, really, as i can separate the artist from the art in this case. loads of radio stations still play michael jackson songs after all....anyway, that song was one of the ones i talked about that really worked well in the context of the scene it was used in. kind of a shame, as it is almost spoiler-ish in my opinion for the articles i've read to reveal when it's used and how, as that was one of the moments in the film when the action taking off like a rocket and the adrenaline was really flowing, which is kind of what that song is known for.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I take that back. I liked it a lot. I had a great time at the cinema. Also felt completely grounded, something which I don't think I've ever seen a comic book film attempt before. It could all play out like this.

There are some scenes which I absolutely loved.
    glad to hear you had a change of heart. it was the most fun i'd had at a theater in a while too, and on the 15-minute ride back to my place my brother and i talked non-stop about the movie and what we thought of it. and then today when i woke for work, it was still fresh on my mind. really ready to go see it again with the missus sometime soon.

and yeah, there were scenes where i was sitting up in my seat, grinning, squirming, and loving what was happening on screen. pretty much the entire last 40 minutes of the film is unforgettably epic.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 07-Oct-2019 at 11:41 PM. Reason: .

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    until today, i had no idea what the name of that song was, the guy who performed it, or his criminal history. i suppose it's no wonder i hadn't heard it in ages, but it used to get played a ton at sporting events and in all sorts of commercials here in the states. i hadn't heard it in forever it seems, but as soon as the drums kicked in i instantly recognized it...at first it seemed a bit of an odd choice, but within seconds of hearing it i was smiling and almost got goosebumps. the musician's controversial past doesn't matter to me, really, as i can separate the artist from the art in this case. loads of radio stations still play michael jackson songs after all....anyway, that song was one of the ones i talked about that really worked well in the context of the scene it was used in. kind of a shame, as it is almost spoiler-ish in my opinion for the articles i've read to reveal when it's used and how, as that was one of the moments in the film when the action taking off like a rocket and the adrenaline was really flowing, which is kind of what that song is known for.

glad to hear you had a change of heart. it was the most fun i'd had at a theater in a while too, and on the 15-minute ride back to my place my brother and i talked non-stop about the movie and what we thought of it. and then today when i woke for work, it was still fresh on my mind. really ready to go see it again with the missus sometime soon.

and yeah, there were scenes where i was sitting up in my seat, grinning, squirming, and loving what was happening on screen. pretty much the entire last 40 minutes of the film is unforgettably epic.
    Those 40 minutes were brilliant. Loved this film. Could discuss it forever.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Well, that was a brutal unforgiving watch!

But great none the less!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan