Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWD 10x02 "We Are the End of the World" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 10x02 "We Are the End of the World" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 10x02 "We Are the End of the World" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Greg Nicotero
    Written by: Nicole Mirante-Matthews

A flashback reveals the origins of Alpha and Beta. Alpha attempts to toughen up Lydia as they prepare to walk with the dead. Meanwhile, the Whisperers create their herds.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 12-Oct-2019 at 04:32 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Another excellent episode. Thoroughly enjoyed that - and a 'standalone' episode that doesn't feel 'disconnected', either. Having the present vs 7 years prior with Alpha and Beta getting to know each other really helped thread an interesting line throughout the episode and across the two timelines (particularly nearer the end with Alpha discovering Beta's secret place in the past and vice versa in the present).

Great to see more depth from Alpha, too. She has weakness and secrets, the loss of Lydia does mean something, and Beta's got a crumb of doubt about Alpha now and yet he too relies on her.

There was some pretty cool music in this episode as well, like when Gamma's sister is brought to the quiet place and Alpha shows mercy instead of killing her. Very creepy music to match the visuals. The Whisperers is all like a cult that feeds on damaged minds (interesting that the coming together of Alpha and Beta takes place in a mental hospital) and minds that can be bent according to the will of the group/leader.

Also - lots of gruesome gore in this one: the survivor in the beginning (nose bitten off, jaw yanked!), the walkers later on getting all smashed and splatted against walls. Good to see that the bloodletting appears to have ramped up again on the show after getting softened in 7 and 8 after the death of Glenn pushing things too far for some people (which led to a slight rowing back on the bloody bits).

United States
    The devour scene in the beginning was bloody fantastic, pun intended. Its fascinating and horrifying at the same time. That has to be one of the most brutal and painful ways to die.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    The devour scene in the beginning was bloody fantastic, pun intended. Its fascinating and horrifying at the same time. That has to be one of the most brutal and painful ways to die.
    It felt like old school TWD, like the first six seasons. A big, spectacular gore moment - and, naturally, KNB's effects continue to rule.

Samantha Morton is killing it as Alpha, as well. She's a zealot, in many ways, but it was good to see some weakness as well - oh, and to see that 'Whisperer & A Baby' thing come back around again. A nice little call back - I love those little details, they're small, but they really add weight and context and history to the show's overall story that stretches beyond each individual episode's plot.

United States
    Good to see the gore come back.

Really enjoyed this episode and glad we got it out the way early.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Seems we 3 are all that's left. I guess that represents the state of the show as far as its general popularity. To my surprise I still enjoy it. But it has lost its peak power. The first 5 seasons I moved life out of TWD's schedule. Went to comic cons and walker stalkers yearly. IMO Kang has recovered it to a certain level but the audience numbers are coming back. Is it simply too late to regain their interest and reignite the fever? Does Rick's movie have a chance to revitalize it? If it ties into the show could that be the event?

Super Moderator

UK
    I wouldn't take conversation here on HPOTD as a huge indicator, we're a small community these days. While the show's peak has certainly passed, I have seen numerous posts from people speaking of TWD's return to form since Kang took over. So while long-run audience numbers are down (the full figures are, naturally, better than simply the first live showing figure).

It's also natural for shows that have been around for so long to see their ratings drop. That's tried and true.

UK
    i'm still here and lurking too, just haven't had a lot to say about the season so far. it's an interesting detail that the only people who have seen beta's real face (and know his secrets) are Alpha and Lydia. wonder if that will come into play later?

I assumed that Beta was lurking around in the sanitarium because he was a former patient there. someone has been writing on the walls, which must have happened after the outbreak. might be worth going back over the episode and seeing if theres any breadcrumbs hidden away, like in Morgan's lair way back when.
    I'm hungry, but I'm not hungry hungry.

United States
    I’m a diehard and still here. Always lurking

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadHippo View Post
    I assumed that Beta was lurking around in the sanitarium because he was a former patient there. someone has been writing on the walls, which must have happened after the outbreak. might be worth going back over the episode and seeing if theres any breadcrumbs hidden away, like in Morgan's lair way back when.
    I imagine that the scrawled messages were Beta. Whether he was a patient or a visitor, I don't know - it was his best mate whose face he cut off and now wears, so it could be that the best friend was a patient (or maybe the other way around).

I loved the interplay between Alpha and Beta. The 'dark affection' of it all was quite fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    I’m a diehard and still here. Always lurking
    Indeed, we have many lurkers lurking about ... it's kinda like our own little horror movie, these mysterious figures roaming about on the edge of the shadows.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    It was insanely brutal!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    You guys see the actual uncut BTS filming of that gore effect? FREAKING CRAZY! Day of the Dead type violence.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    You guys see the actual uncut BTS filming of that gore effect? FREAKING CRAZY! Day of the Dead type violence.
    Just saw it yesterday. In the show they cut away just as the jaw is getting ripped off, but it all comes away in the BTS video. I figure they had to cut as it would just be going on a bit too long. Had the jaw come off quicker it would have been seen more. It's fun to see (or hear, rather) Nicotero still get so animated when conducting a gore effect.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    BTS filming?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    BTS filming
    Yessir!