Thread: TWD 10x03 "Ghosts" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 10x03 "Ghosts" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 10x03 "Ghosts" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: David Boyd
    Written by: Jim Barnes

The threat of the Whisperers’ return creates paranoia that sweeps over Alexandria. Meanwhile, Carol battles with the need for revenge.

United States
    I cant believe I have empathy for Negan. After 07-01 I was steadfast that I could never support him. Either Kang and co are great story tellers or I am becoming a softy. Negan has been in custody for years. To deny him a crow bar while out in the open world is foolish.

And poor Carol. My goodness. Even the hardest of the hard crack.

Super Moderator

UK
    Another episode I really enjoyed. Loved the montage showing the waves of walkers having to be dealt with and how everyone was getting worn down - we don't often see that exhaustion on this show, the amount of energy that'd go into killing a load of walkers.

Also - is that a walker Whisperer we're gonna get? Now that's exciting! Another twist on the notion of a Whisperer after various forms of interloping and paranoia.

Really looking forward to the next episode, too.

Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I cant believe I have empathy for Negan. After 07-01 I was steadfast that I could never support him. Either Kang and co are great story tellers or I am becoming a softy. Negan has been in custody for years. To deny him a crow bar while out in the open world is foolish.

And poor Carol. My goodness. Even the hardest of the hard crack.
    1) Good writing, good performance, and also context - as you say, it makes the most logical sense for Negan to use the crowbar in that moment as it's a more offensive option against the coming walkers ... but his past gets in the way.

2)

United States
    Really enjoyed this episode.

The little character moments worked well for me. Dante is so different here than the source material and like usual, I'm digging him more. Hated that guy in the book.

Negan was wonderful. Just let the poor bastard get that damn crowbar haha.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 23-Oct-2019 at 03:07 AM. Reason: Rosita's eyebrows.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    Wow how can I be rooting for Neegan? Great acting, great writing, another strong episode
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    It was also nice to see how they handled Carol's attempt on Alpha's life - that's how you do a moment like that.

It made sense of Carol's character, it was kept secret from the rest of them, the emotional response made total sense, as too did Michonne's reflexes in swatting Carol's arm to avoid Alpha - as Michonne has said, The Whisperers have a 'nuclear weapon' and they don't, they've got to play it smart rather than emotional.

Compare that to when Carl attempted to assassinate Negan (which could have been fixed with just a couple of minor tweaks). Angela Kang has done this show wonders in many ways and logic is one of them.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this 'Walker Whisperer' will come into play. Probably it'll be discovered and that'll give Alpha reason to step things up a notch ... but hopefully the Walker Whisperer will do a bit of damage on The Whisperers before that. A walker dressed up as a walker, hehe, I love it!

United States
    The Whisperer arc has been very entertaining. This is fun ZA story telling. In a way for me this isnt even TWD anymore. Minus Rick and Carl it feels like more of a spinoff. But this is still worth watching.

Alpha is a sick twisted mind. In reality people like her walk among us. So I have no doubt, in a "real" ZA, there would be some nut jobs acting and believing just like her.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    The Whisperer arc has been very entertaining. This is fun ZA story telling. In a way for me this isnt even TWD anymore. Minus Rick and Carl it feels like more of a spinoff. But this is still worth watching.

Alpha is a sick twisted mind. In reality people like her walk among us. So I have no doubt, in a "real" ZA, there would be some nut jobs acting and believing just like her.
    1) Yep. I was worried when we were approaching this arc as it was quite iffy in the comics (felt a bit underdeveloped, like not enough thought had really been put into the concept of The Whisperers), however Kang & Co have done a wonderful job of taking the best bits, ditching the worst bits, and developing new cool additional material for The Whisperers - it's been quite an interesting story thus far and I'm looking forward to seeing it play out.

2) The Whisperers are like a full blown cult, with typical leader hypocrisy going on at the top. They're an out-there concept in a way, but that deep into a ZA and with what one would have to do to survive, you'd find some fucked up stuff going on. It'd be interesting to think what Alpha would have been like had she found a good group and had been in a place like Alexandria for the majority of her time in the ZA.

I'd imagine she'd be a troublemaker in that context, as well, but at least not so much of a zealot and weirdo. There's kind of a performance going on with Alpha, too, she has to wrap herself up in this 'character' and these mannerisms - she's kinda trapped within her own warped creation.

United States
    They really made sure Alpha wasn’t just a one dimensional character.

This episode flowed so well I didn’t even realize it was missing half the cast.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    They really made sure Alpha wasn’t just a one dimensional character.

This episode flowed so well I didn’t even realize it was missing half the cast.
    Yeah, even though we're a little bit 'over here and then over there', there's enough story and plot going on that you don't feel yourself ever getting restless or bored. I would like to see wider members of the different groups come together on-screen again soon, although we did get a generally good mixed assortment of everyone in the premiere, come to think of it, but hopefully after next week's episode (which seems to be focusing on Hilltop) we'll get more mixed characters again just to keep the pace and mixes varied.

United States
    Anyone who follows TWD threads closely know how much bottle episodes irk me; however, this week, I didn't even realize we were experiencing one. Damn, I love Angela Kang.

UK
    not much to say about this one. except poor Eugene. Reality sucks.

I know it's extremely unlikely but i would love to see Negan reunited with Lucille, it's an iconic image, but i do feel that Negan has grown beyond the need for the bat. Seeing his reaction to finding her, covered in rust and rotting away would be awesome and could really be a great character moment. it would be contrived as all hell though. luckily i don't write for TWD.
    I'm hungry, but I'm not hungry hungry.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadHippo View Post

I know it's extremely unlikely but i would love to see Negan reunited with Lucille, it's an iconic image, but i do feel that Negan has grown beyond the need for the bat. Seeing his reaction to finding her, covered in rust and rotting away would be awesome and could really be a great character moment. it would be contrived as all hell though. luckily i don't write for TWD.
    Yeah, some version of Negan 'putting away' Lucille would be quite cool to see, although as you say, how on earth you'd write such a thing to work well? Still, Kang & Co quite incredibly have made the show in spite of Rick leaving, so anything's possible.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadHippo View Post

...+1
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.