Thread: Question regarding 2016 Night Restoration

United States

Question regarding 2016 Night Restoration

I just saw the 2016 restoration of Night of the Living Dead, commercial free, on TCM. I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen this? This picture did seem rather crisp and clear, but my question is this...

I have seen Night more times that I can remember, but there seems to be extra footage in this version? Specifically, right after you see the "naked female zombie" from behind, and you clearly see her behind, there immediately followed a shot of that same zombie from the side, showing her face, and her naked boobs. It seems hard to imagine that I never noticed naked boobs in this movie before. Anyone one seen this 2016 version?

Super Moderator

UK
    I've seen the Criterion restoration that came our a little while ago and the picture was superb, although I don't recall seeing any new shots in the movie.

Could it be that that shot was always there but in previous copies you just couldn't see it? When I watched the Criterion restoration I was amazed that there were details in various shots that I'd never even seen before, likewise for the audio track as suddenly I could make out lines of dialogue far better than beforehand (not a case of new stuff getting inserted, but rather existing material being cleaned up properly so you could see/hear it better than ever before).

United States
    I dont know what version it was, but I have seen that shot of the boobs also
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Could it be that that shot was always there but in previous copies you just couldn't see it?
    Excellent question. I just went and looked at an old mpg I downloaded years ago, and the boob shot is not there. Or to be more precise, after seeing the ass shot, there is no side view of that zombie at all.

United States
    I need to see this. For research. Yes.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    on the first youtube video that comes up after searching "night of the living dead", originally uploaded seven years ago, this shot is present. it's also on the colorized version on youtube. i'm pretty sure it's on the millennium edition dvd as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I need to see this. For research. Yes.
    prepare to be underwhelmed.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post

prepare to be underwhelmed.
    Underwhelmed I was. Dammit.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    For one thing, if you stream a lot of video, you know that “Night of the Living Dead” is everywhere. There are three versions, including a colorized one, free to Amazon Prime members. So you may well ask why the FilmStruck/Criterion Channel offering is a big deal. It’s because the version appearing on the site is a new restoration from the film’s original negative, produced by the Film Foundation (the preservation nonprofit founded by the director Martin Scorsese) and the Museum of Modern Art, which put “Night of the Living Dead” in its permanent collection. The restored film was shown in November 2016 at MoMA and later in repertory and art house theaters all over the country.