Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWD 10x04 "Silence the Whisperers" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 10x04 "Silence the Whisperers" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 10x04 "Silence The Whisperers" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Michael Cudlitz
    Written by: Geraldine Inoa

Still paranoid Alexandrians get riled up over the Whisperers and take their fear out on Negan. Back at Hilltop, the group deals with an unexpected safety issue.

United States
    Negan is the hero we don't deserve.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Another good episode and nice to get a mix of stories in multiple locations to keep things lively, too.

The Magna/Yumiko scene in the opening montage kind of came as a bit of a surprise as there's so little sexual content on TWD. I wonder if a bunch of parents (who think it's okay to let their five year olds watch TWD!) got all twitchy and squirmy with that.

Speaking of the opening montage - it was very well designed. I loved how it smoothly transitioned from one person and scene to the next (e.g. Daryl upstairs, then you see a figure coming downstairs but it's Sidiq, etc).

And some good old morally grey dilemma stuff put in there, too. Negan does the right thing but makes a mistake in the process. Really interested to see where his story goes from here.

United States
    The only real compliant I had with this episode was the music choice used for the cold open and ending.

Magna and Yumiko- I sensed some tension there by the end.

Loved how the story took place between multiple communities. Makes the world of difference.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    The only real compliant I had with this episode was the music choice used for the cold open and ending.

Magna and Yumiko- I sensed some tension there by the end.

Loved how the story took place between multiple communities. Makes the world of difference.
    1) Didn't mind it so much at the start, but at the end - yeesh - was it just me or was there a crazy amount of auto-tune slapped all over that?

2) Yeah. I wonder what that's all about. And did Magna had a great bit scar or something on her stomach, or am I imagining things?

3) Too true. It keeps the pace up and you never get bored by being with the same people or group for too long. It's nice to have a consistent ebb and flow. Telling multiple stories across multiple communities also keeps the whole 'world' of Alexandria/Hilltop/Oceanside alive and more connected. Gimple got far too carried away with compartmentalising the story into frequently distinct packages week-to-week. The way that Kang has brought back to the show also helps put a stop to big characters disappearing for weeks worth of viewer time, and it feels like there is more time passing for the characters on the show (well, 'cos there is), both inside episodes and between episodes, so that too adds to the better sense of pacing.

Very pleased all round.

One thing - I know that other wall had to fall in order to let in more walkers, but they talked of shoring it up prior to Magna & Co yomping outside to stem the oncoming flow of walkers - which in itself took some time - but no efforts had been made to shore up that wall? Perhaps not as much time passed during that battle as I felt.

I'm digging the Luke character as well. He's filling Tara's place in terms of the gentle humour department, but it's nice to have some sweeter people amongst the group.

Ooh! I also really liked seeing Daryl having to act more in terms of leadership but also on a personal level - he was in kind of father territory for Lydia - and it was nice to see him enjoying a meal with Michonne and her kids. Little things to round him out more as a person, not just a grunting 'dog man' as he'd started to become in seasons 7 and 8. It's fun to see him thrown into more alien situations for his character.

United States
    Enjoyed this episode greatly. Neegan was in the right but his past crimes make him an easy target. It seems Michael Cudlitz has some pretty good directorial chops.
    Last edited by Zombie Snack; 28-Oct-2019 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1) Didn't mind it so much at the start, but at the end - yeesh - was it just me or was there a crazy amount of auto-tune slapped all over that?

2) Yeah. I wonder what that's all about. And did Magna had a great bit scar or something on her stomach, or am I imagining things?

3) Too true. It keeps the pace up and you never get bored by being with the same people or group for too long. It's nice to have a consistent ebb and flow. Telling multiple stories across multiple communities also keeps the whole 'world' of Alexandria/Hilltop/Oceanside alive and more connected. Gimple got far too carried away with compartmentalising the story into frequently distinct packages week-to-week. The way that Kang has brought back to the show also helps put a stop to big characters disappearing for weeks worth of viewer time, and it feels like there is more time passing for the characters on the show (well, 'cos there is), both inside episodes and between episodes, so that too adds to the better sense of pacing.

Very pleased all round.

One thing - I know that other wall had to fall in order to let in more walkers, but they talked of shoring it up prior to Magna & Co yomping outside to stem the oncoming flow of walkers - which in itself took some time - but no efforts had been made to shore up that wall? Perhaps not as much time passed during that battle as I felt.

I'm digging the Luke character as well. He's filling Tara's place in terms of the gentle humour department, but it's nice to have some sweeter people amongst the group.

Ooh! I also really liked seeing Daryl having to act more in terms of leadership but also on a personal level - he was in kind of father territory for Lydia - and it was nice to see him enjoying a meal with Michonne and her kids. Little things to round him out more as a person, not just a grunting 'dog man' as he'd started to become in seasons 7 and 8. It's fun to see him thrown into more alien situations for his character.
    1. That "1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3 slash autotune BS totally disconnected me early.

2, Well, we all know Magna was a lawyer now and she's gonna be pretty much taking Michonne's place going forward with the comic story.

3. Kang saved this show.

I'm afraid for Luke's safety now. Let's be real, he ain't coming back.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 29-Oct-2019 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Rosita stunt double

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, we all know Magna was a lawyer now and she's gonna be pretty much taking Michonne's place going forward with the comic story.

I'm afraid for Luke's safety now. Let's be real, he ain't coming back.
    1) I thought Magna said Yumiko was her lawyer?

2) Yeah ... his optimism about going to Oceanside ... ... it's got bad vibes swirling around it. I'd hope he doesn't get killed off (he's not been on the show all that long), but hmmm...

And - "Reason: Rosita stunt double"?

United States
    1) I thought Magna said Yumiko was her lawyer?

2) Yeah ... his optimism about going to Oceanside ... ... it's got bad vibes swirling around it. I'd hope he doesn't get killed off (he's not been on the show all that long), but hmmm...

And - "Reason: Rosita stunt double"?
    Yumiko was her lawyer correct.

Christian clearly wasn’t in this episode and they used a body double.

United States
    Yumiko was her lawyer correct.

You are the resident Rosita expert.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    That I am, my friend. That I am.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    That I am, my friend. That I am.
    Expert ... obsessed stalker ... you know, same diff.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 29-Oct-2019 at 05:11 PM.

UK
    Expert ... obsessed stalker ... you know, same diff.
    Moon Knight...dude...are you Eugene?

Just want to echo the sentiments about luke, the guy's days are numbered. shame really as his little interplay with eugene was awesome. Eugene looked genuinely put out that someone else understood his obscure reference.

Also, Negan is AWOL. where could he possibly go? we saw how that worked out before. i reckon he's still skulking around Alexandria somewhere.

No whisperers at all this week. after they just "went on vacation" in the last season finale, i'm finding it difficult to treat them as a credible threat.
    I'm hungry, but I'm not hungry hungry.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by UndeadHippo View Post
    No whisperers at all this week. after they just "went on vacation" in the last season finale, i'm finding it difficult to treat them as a credible threat.
    Well, they moved away to go somewhere warmer for the winter (and rightly so, as we saw in 9x16 with that snow storm). They live outside in not much clothing, so they'd perish. They act somewhat like animals anyway, so migration plays into that.

And just because we didn't see them in this episode, it doesn't mean they aren't at work. Surely these groups of walkers are being sent by The Whisperers (who are estimated to have tens of thousands gathered up), and that tree just so happened to come down? A pattern is beginning to emerge and as Lydia said (IIRC), it's likely that Alpha is trying to wear them down. They'll be back on-screen next episode.

United States
    I believe Judith had mentioned The Whisperers intentions.

Luke’s death has to be a red herring. It was telegraphed way too hard. I hope so, he’s a good character to have around.