Thread: TWD 10x05 "What It Always Is" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 10x05 "What It Always Is" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 10x05 "What It Always Is" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Laura Belsey
    Written by: Eli Jorne

Supplies go missing from Hilltop, Negan is idolized by an Alexandrian, and Ezekiel holds a secret.

United States
    Hoping for no let down this week
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    A fair bit of this and that going on in this episode.

Loved all the Negan stuff - that sycophant was creepy as all get out, and it was cool to see how, over the years, the story of Negan has been twisted and warped and misremembered/misheard by people (e.g. what he said about Carl). Now, do I think Negan has 'gone full Negan' again? I don't reckon it'll be that simple what with him turning up in Whisperer territory, especially after we saw a glimpse of Negan's good side with those two living on the bus.

More good stuff with Daryl and Connie - I dig all that - and now we've got a better idea of the Magna/Yumiko business.

Another thing I'm really digging this season - gore - and lots of it, even splashing blood all over the screen! It's great to see the KNB stuff getting full bore once again after it got soft-pedalled a bit in 7 and 8 in the wake of 7x01. Big splashy zombie head crushes, Negan going all cave man on the sycophant, skinned walkers etc. Nice and gooey!

So it appears as if we'll be losing Ezekiel this season as well. It's an interesting idea - 'what happens if someone gets a common disease (cancer) in the ZA?' ... although Ezekiel is a big hitter on the show, and with Michonne leaving as well that's a big double impact. Hopefully it won't adversely affect things too much.

United States
    A strange resemblance between "The Grove" and this episode. Negan coming back to find Brandon can't be trusted and does what he has to do, just like Carol did. Works well with my theory that Carol let Negan out.

I don't think Ezekiel is quite finished just yet. If you read the comic then you should have an idea on what comes next.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 05-Nov-2019 at 01:15 AM. Reason: LITTLE PIG LITTLE PIG!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    A strange resemblance between "The Grove" and this episode. Negan coming back to find Brandon can't be trusted and does what he has to do, just like Carol did. Works well with my theory that Carol let Negan out.

I don't think Ezekiel is quite finished just yet. If you read the comic then you should have an idea on what comes next.
    1) Oh, that's an interesting comparison - I hadn't thought of that. As for Carol being the one to let Negan out? Now that's an interesting theory! I hadn't considered that either ... although I'm not sure about it. How does your theory go?

2) I've read all the comics, but I've gone and forgotten what you're referring to - gimme a spoiler-tagged run down, would you kindly?

United States
    1. Not really a theory I guess, but, I just found it interesting that of all people in Alexandria that would release him, Carol would be the one to do something like that. Especially after being told not to do anything herself. Laura would do it too but they already pointed it out she didn’t.

I believe they will take Ezekiel to the Commonwealth where there are actual people with technology that can treat him. There was too much talk about how in this new world once treatable illnesses are now death sentences. It’s also no coincidence the next episode has Eugene speaking to someone on the radio via the trailer.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    1. Not really a theory I guess, but, I just found it interesting that of all people in Alexandria that would release him, Carol would be the one to do something like that. Especially after being told not to do anything herself. Laura would do it too but they already pointed it out she didn’t.

I believe they will take Ezekiel to the Commonwealth where there are actual people with technology that can treat him. There was too much talk about how in this new world once treatable illnesses are now death sentences. It’s also no coincidence the next episode has Eugene speaking to someone on the radio via the trailer.

Ah, I didn't see the trailer for the next episode - yeah, I was half-wondering about The Commonwealth and their medical facilities, so hopefully that'll happen. I wonder if Michonne will be involved in getting Ezekiel to the Commonwealth and that'll explain her having to leave?

United States
    Neegan!!
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States
    I just realized Dante said Rosita had a bug and we saw that grungy Gamma contaminating the water; not my baby....

Super Moderator

UK
    I just realized Dante said Rosita had a bug and we saw that grungy Gamma contaminating the water; not my baby....
    Mmm ... that was slightly confusing, because it seemed as if Alpha and Gamma were trying to 'block' the water flow, and yet Gamma was indeed poisoning the water.

Now, would that mean that Rosita could die? Possibly, but at the same time it could also mean that she could survive it like Gabriel did (he, essentially, got poisoned by lathering up with walker guts in season 8).

Administrator

England
    Well, I really enjoyed that episode... Interesting to see Negan coming back in some shape or form!?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    hmm.... possible I heard wrong about the contamination.

Yeah, Negan, man. I smiled when he said "Little Pig, Little Pig!"

UK
    hmm.... possible I heard wrong about the contamination.

Yeah, Negan, man. I smiled when he said "Little Pig, Little Pig!"

My man Negan made me proper laugh out loud for the first time watching TWD in a very long time. Loved his interaction with the kid and his fatherly take on "nut bustin"

Negan would have been a good Dad pre apocalypse. maybe there's a story thread there contrasting him with Alpha and her unique way of parenting....especially given his friendship/mentoring of Lydia

Good catch on the Grove parallel too, I missed that one.

I;m not grudging negan a little bit of head-smashy fun either (even if he should have used Lucille II). Some folks just need killin.
    Last edited by UndeadHippo; 08-Nov-2019 at 07:40 PM. Reason: afterthought
    I'm hungry, but I'm not hungry hungry.