Thread: TWD 10x07 "Open Your Eyes" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 10x07 "Open Your Eyes" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 10x07 "Open Your Eyes" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Michael Cudlitz
    Written by: Corey Reed

Carol pushes boundaries that make Daryl uncomfortable. Alpha and Beta have reservations about someone.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, blimey!

I don't recall if any of that twist ending was in the comics, I don't think so, but crikey - Dante's a Whisperer plant, he was there during the barn decapitation, he killed the captured Whisperer, he's been messing about with the water on the other end, and now he's killed Siddiq!!! Dude... Carl's spinning in his grave, I bet.

Also - James Parks (son of Michael Parks, he was in the likes of The Hateful Eight etc) did a great job as the captured Whisperer. Not a huge amount of screen time, but memorable for every second of it. The jam sandwich bit was particularly well played.

United States
    There was no twist ending like that cause Dante was never a Whisperer and Siddiq was never this good.

Pouring out a 40 for my man Siddiq right now.

Excuse me while I shed a tear.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I never was a big fan of Siddiq but still loosing a doctor during the apocolypse is never a good thing. Did Lydia recognize Dante and keep her mouth shut to the others.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'd also agree, Siddiq on the show has been more interesting than his comics counterpart, and this whole new twist with Dante (I'd thought it was new, but couldn't recall, so thanks for the confirmation) has been a nice (but tragic) surprise. Great acting from the guy, too, as he starts off so charming and funny and feels like a tonal replacement for Tara - and then boom! Whisperer deep cover operative!

It's great that they've been finding all these little ways to play around with the concept of The Whisperers and perception and so on.

I'm really looking forward to next week's episode and seeing what happens now that Gamma knows Lydia is alive - although now Lydia is on her way back over, but her story wasn't linked to Dante's in this episode, so as far as we know her decision isn't linked to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Snack View Post
    I never was a big fan of Siddiq but still loosing a doctor during the apocolypse is never a good thing. Did Lydia recognize Dante and keep her mouth shut to the others.
    Now that is a good question!

It could be possible that she hasn't seen all of them without their masks, but hopefully this will get addressed.

United States
    So Dante has known that Lydia wasn’t dead, right? Alpha MUST have clued him in prior to sneaking him into Alexandria.

Very good episode. Love how Siddiq’s story actually went somewhere and wasn’t saved to climax at a finale.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    So Dante has known that Lydia wasn’t dead, right? Alpha MUST have clued him in prior to sneaking him into Alexandria.

Very good episode. Love how Siddiq’s story actually went somewhere and wasn’t saved to climax at a finale.
    Yeah, I do enjoy how big stuff can happen in episodes that aren't numbered 01, 08, 09, or 16. Last year's 9x15 was a prime example - a huuuuuuuge episode, and then 9x16 was much more contained and gave us something totally different on the show (a snow storm) and time to deal with the fallout of 9x15's big reveal. Being able to do big things in unexpected episodes makes them, well, unexpected, so you can get a real surprise. I was so wrapped up in Siddiq's story, too, that I didn't think "wait a minute, he's getting an awful lot of screen time here..." (which has often been a sign of impending death in previous seasons, heh).

Dante's a strange one. He's got so much personality that he must be like The Whisperer's resident chameleon. He'd definitely know that Lydia was alive, and yeah, surely Alpha told him beforehand - him privy to classified information to keep him on-side. He must be a very special Whisperer to be tasked with such a job, and must be so signed up and 'cultified' that living in Alexandria for month after month hasn't (seemingly, at least) weakened his resolve. Scary!

Man! I'm really looking forward to 10x08 now!!!

United States
    Rosita finally getting that quality screen time, yo.

United States
    I'm late to the show. Life just caught up to me and I got behind. My god the trauma that Siddiq had to see and live through. Humans with a soul just aren't built to witness those acts and be ok. I know I deal with PTSD from my chosen profession and horrors I've seen first hand. Its really unexplainable how it comes and goes but that's the nature of the beast. Cheers fellas

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I'm late to the show. Life just caught up to me and I got behind. My god the trauma that Siddiq had to see and live through. Humans with a soul just aren't built to witness those acts and be ok. I know I deal with PTSD from my chosen profession and horrors I've seen first hand. Its really unexplainable how it comes and goes but that's the nature of the beast. Cheers fellas
    Cheers, bro.

Glad you were able to catch up. Hope all is well.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 23-Nov-2019 at 04:14 AM. Reason: DOG.

Super Moderator

UK
    Hearing Avi Nash talk about his research, speaking to people with PTSD to try and get into the mindset of it, if you will, was really interesting ... this clash with your own mind with past trauma feeling immediate, as if it's happening for the first time and so on, that the first feeling of it hasn't dulled over time.