Thread: TWD 10x08 "The World Before" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 10x08 "The World Before" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 10x08 "The World Before" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: John Dahl
    Written by: Julia Ruchman

In the mid-season finale, a fight causes tensions in Oceanside while the Alexandrians set out on a high-stakes mission.

Super Moderator

UK
    I could have used a bit more 'oomph' for a mid-season finale, although there's a good cliffhanger to leave us on for a couple of months. Hopefully the mid-season premiere will pay off in terms of spectacle.

On the other hand there was a fair bit of business dealt with in this episode, particularly with Dante/Rosita/Gabriel - and nice to have a clear confirmation up top that Dante was a new recruit after Lydia had left the group, so she didn't know him at all, just to answer that hanging question. It was also good to see a little montage of all his nefarious deeds ... what a bastard.

With Michonne heading off to that military base to get weapons for the looming war with The Whisperers, I wonder if there'll be some sort of 'she intends to come back, but events conspire against her' type of story that'll see her exit the show, but then be able to join the movies.

United States
    Loved the Rosita/Gabriel/Dante stuff. Obviously.

The ending was pretty underwhelming, though. Fist half was great, loved the cold open.

Overall a good episode with a flat cliffhanger. Dammit, Carol.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I really enjoyed the opening showing what Dante had been up to, and then Father Gabe going all Rick Grimes on Dante was great, it looks like Carol and her merry band of followers have gotten there self's in quite a pickle.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.

United States
    That open had my heart racing. Can’t stand the thought of kids/babies suffering. Rositas knee and punches had a lot of emotion in each strike and I could feel each one.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    That open had my heart racing. Can’t stand the thought of kids/babies suffering. Rositas knee and punches had a lot of emotion in each strike and I could feel each one.
    The only two things I hate seeing suffering/hurt in movies are children and animals. This season is testing my patience, haha.

I also loved how Rosita and Dante threw in a bit of Spanish during their intense exchange.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Loved the Rosita/Gabriel/Dante stuff. Obviously.

The ending was pretty underwhelming, though. Fist half was great, loved the cold open.

Overall a good episode with a flat cliffhanger. Dammit, Carol.
    Agreed, although running into a clear trap And no noise from a huge herd coming up from 20ft below somehow?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Agreed, although running into a clear trap And no noise from a huge herd coming up from 20ft below somehow?
    I'm sure my boy MZ could make sense of that one.

Hard to believe Michonne is practically done in this ongoing story of survival horror.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm sure my boy MZ could make sense of that one.

Hard to believe Michonne is practically done in this ongoing story of survival horror.
    1) Something to do with acoustics? It's not a straight shot down there, and everyone's in a rush so their own footsteps, breathing, and other noise would be somewhat of a distraction. It's really more leaping into action, because Carol falls for Alpha's trap, and not having even a second to think. In terms of falling in the hole, you're in unfamiliar territory and it's very dark.

That good enough?

2) Aye. But hopefully she'll go on to be in the movies and reunite with Rick.

United States
    I think at the time I was watching, I assumed since it was dark and there wasn’t really anything that could rile up the Walkers down there in the depths, that they really kinda shut down until our survivors crashed the party.

Super Moderator

UK
    I think at the time I was watching, I assumed since it was dark and there wasn’t really anything that could rile up the Walkers down there in the depths, that they really kinda shut down until our survivors crashed the party.
    That too and good point - we've seen them be quite docile and quiet when there's nothing to attract their attention.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Right. They're not always in a feeding frenzy. Makes sense.

United States
    Sounds plausible too me.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.