Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picard (Star Trek TV Series)

Administrator

England

Picard (Star Trek TV Series)

Not overly impressed with it so far. With try a few more episodes though...

- - - Updated - - -

After two episodes here were my comments to some friends...

Pros
    • Nice to have some sort of Trek back on the TV (well Amazon)
    • Nice to have an older "hero", as the core character
    • Visually good

Cons
    • Not truly family friendly, with it being more adult orientated for seemingly no real reason. eg: F-bombs and the like?
    • Picard seems to have no respect due from Star Fleet even though he's like saved the human race a couple of times?
    • Stupid MacGuffin devices that are totally face palm in believability
    • Daft characters like Romulans with Irish accents and mannerisms
    • Stupid Abrams over blown lens flare type lighting
    • Contemporary political message(s) seemingly buried in there no doubt about Brexit bad, Orange man bad, racism bad, white supremacy bad, diversity is our stength... woke woke etc

Hopes
    • The story finally gets going soon. It seems to be going around in circles with no real "Treking" thus far. I've seen more than enough of Picards vineyard now!
    • More character come in that are actually interesting. I believe 7 of 9 is coming into the series? Hopefully with the same impressive buffers!

ps: Why are space yards (building space ships) since Abrams on the ground? Why not in space like in the original films?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Pfffh... I see what you're saying, but, why do you "woke shame" all the time, Neil? I too get annoyed by mass media/corporations profiteering off of actual social injustice and civil concerns, but surely it's better than if they went full-in for the right wing, yeah? (Conservatives, I mean. It's switched in the UK, yeah?) Does there even need to be more Star Trek? I don't think so. But here we are. LMK when there's a Farscape reboot, or more Firefly. But yeah, this seems like the showrunners paid too much attention to the Abrams films, and not the "true soul" (if a piece of serialized television can be said to have such a thing) of the original Roddenberry creation. Weird how liberals/centrists can have diversity messaging, and then still use racial/ethnic stereotypes in the same narrative, isn't it? Kinda paradoxical.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Not overly impressed with it so far. ...
    Re: modern politics (and as someone who thinks that 'Star Trek' hasn't been good since the 90's), doesn't the whole "white supremacy" thing go against Rodenberry's vision? Since 60's Trek, hasn't the galaxy been rid of differences like that? If they are trying to bring this type of stuff into Star Trek now, it sounds like the new writers of this have things wrong just about as much as the new writers of Star Wars had things wrong.

It sounds like they haven't seen an episode of 'Star Trek' before.

On a side note, I absolutely loathe JJ fucking Abrams.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Re: modern politics (and as someone who thinks that 'Star Trek' hasn't been good since the 90's), doesn't the whole "white supremacy" thing go against Rodenberry's vision? Since 60's Trek, hasn't the galaxy been rid of differences like that? If they are trying to bring this type of stuff into Star Trek now, it sounds like the new writers of this have things wrong just about as much as the new writers of Star Wars had things wrong.

It sounds like they haven't seen an episode of 'Star Trek' before.

On a side note, I absolutely loathe JJ fucking Abrams.
    No, the Federation has been rid of issues like that, the galaxy sure hasn't. And even so the Federation can still be xenophobic toward other races. That's what The Undiscovered Country was about, as well as the Ferengi subplots of Deep Space 9.

Overall I'm not super impressed, but that can be chalked up to high expectations. It's certainly much better, and very different, from the send off Discovery got. I love the setting, the characters and the timeline - but the mystery itself is not very interesting. Synthetic sleeper agents... I don't know.
    There are some minor nitpicks as well in the details. Why not use the Tal Shiar as the main antagonist rather than inventing a subsidiary of the Tal Shiar? Why complicate things? Most viewers are probably more familiar with the Tal Shiar - if at all. Stuff like that...

As for "modern politics"... Well, uh.... I don't know what you were expecting but if it did not feature any of that then it wouldn't be Star Trek to begin with. We're talking about the first franchise to ever feature an interracial kiss, or (one of?) the first lesbian kiss on american television.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 05-Feb-2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: sdfsdfs

Administrator

England
    Series 2 is on the way... I didn't make it through the first...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDNAdudbg1g

^ spoilers of sorts...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Orville is my Star Trek.

Administrator

England
    Series 2 is on the way... I didn't make it through the first...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDNAdudbg1g

^ spoilers of sorts...
    Anyone watched it? Having given up during S1, should I bother with S2?
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Disengage!

Ireland
    Is that Q in the thumbnail?

I know that age will hit everyone at some point, including DeLancey, but why would an alien being that resides in infinity age?

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Is that Q in the thumbnail?

I know that age will hit everyone at some point, including DeLancey, but why would an alien being that resides in infinity age?

Indeed... Why does an immortal super entity look 30yrs older?
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    Anyone watched it? Having given up during S1, should I bother with S2?
    If you gave up on season 1, then I'm sorry to say but season 2 is pretty much more of the same apart for maybe they have a lower budget seeing how our heroes are now in 2024.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    If you gave up on season 1, then I'm sorry to say but season 2 is pretty much more of the same apart for maybe they have a lower budget seeing how our heroes are now in 2024.
    Back in 2024? So a time travel affair? Please don't tell me to sort out some event to do with the climate catastrophe or some evil right wing politics?
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    Back in 2024? So a time travel affair? Please don't tell me to sort out some event to do with the climate catastrophe or some evil right wing politics?
    New episode isn't out till tomorrow, but yes it looks that way with climate catastrophe and some evil right wing politics.

Administrator

England
    Gave up with season 1 & 2... But Season 3 seems to be getting some good reports so I'll give it another go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMyQkazS1hA
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well, four episodes in and I'm enjoying it... Feels far more like a conventional Star Trek again...
    -Carl Sagan