Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    By the way, Swedish mortality rates count everyone who has died with the disease, not necessarily from the disease.
    I hear that' shappening in the US too in some cases? Even without a test for CV19?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Day one: Day one yesterday was an odd day, but the first day of treating patients. The first half consisted entirely of onboarding with the Indian health systems, finger printing, hippa training ect, meeting coders, medical records ect. It was long, tedious. I thought nextgen was a bad electronic charting system. Indian health ehr is almost DoS like.

Originally I was supposed to work in the low acuity alternative care site. That's not open yet, so I'm outside in the triage tent helping screen folks. It seems my fate in any pandemic is to wear ppe outside, in the heat. While Ebola had much more intense PPE for maybe an hour or two, this is less intense PPE for much longer. Its very hot, and we had a near constant stream of cars from my arrival at 3pm till I left at 7pm.

We had a couple cases non covid related, a head wound, a cat bite, and a stomach pain. But everyone else was covid, covid, covid.

Contact tracing normally focusses on an individual, however due to Navajo culture, whole families, 3 or 4 generations may live together in small homes. So the idea is family tracking instead. The outbreak continues upwards here, with the Navajo nation instituting a curfew from friday 8pm to monday 5am. All those who violate face a $1,000 fine.

It's not severely complicated work, just getting vitals, moving folks from the parking lot in a wheelchair up a hill, and into the ER. Tech work, but hey it's helping and the staff here is incredibly grateful for the help. The alternative care site to house folks is a gymnasium near here. If I'm here, or there doesn't matter as long as we're helping out.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Administrator

England
    So a UK report possibly backing up US reports that far more people have had CV19 than expected - https://www.manchester.ac.uk/discove...id-19-already/

eg: Over 25% of the UK may already have had it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Has anyone else followed the recent reports of Covid19 connections to Vitamin D? Apparently there is strong evidence that whether or not your body is sufficiently stocked with Vitamin D can have a serious effect on how you handle the disease. It can mean the difference between life and death if you have the virus, and can even help prevent contraction of it.

It’s being reported out of several reputable sources/news, and Joe Rogan recently had a guest Doctor on his podcast in which they go in-depth on the subject. It’s a good listen!
    Last edited by bassman; 16-May-2020 at 02:16 PM. Reason: .

United States
    ^

we drink a boatload of milk around my place, particularly my son. that's good news, i suppose.

Administrator

England
    So London is now down to twenty odd new cases a day...

Now, with social distancing be harder there than other places, how is it now so low? My theory is simply so many people have now had it, that's also helping the figure drop... ie: 25%+ of Londoners may now have had it so can't suffer from it or spread it!?

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Has anyone else followed the recent reports of Covid19 connections to Vitamin D? Apparently there is strong evidence that whether or not your body is sufficiently stocked with Vitamin D can have a serious effect on how you handle the disease. It can mean the difference between life and death if you have the virus, and can even help prevent contraction of it.

It’s being reported out of several reputable sources/news, and Joe Rogan recently had a guest Doctor on his podcast in which they go in-depth on the subject. It’s a good listen!
    Been taking daily vit D suppliments daily now for months...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bga_qG30JyY
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So London is now down to twenty odd new cases a day...

Now, with social distancing be harder there than other places, how is it now so low? My theory is simply so many people have now had it, that's also helping the figure drop... ie: 25%+ of Londoners may now have had it so can't suffer from it or spread it!?

Been taking daily vit D suppliments daily now for months...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bga_qG30JyY
    Thanks for this, very interesting.

Administrator

England
    Missed the report last week, that London seemingly had one day of no new infections? Beggars belief TBH, and I just can't believe the lock down is responsible for that. I think the virus has simply infected a buck load more people than we think, so it's not spread much in conjunction with the lockdown.
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It’s astonishing how people around here are reacting to this virus. If I have to go out to a store, I’d estimate that maybe 25% of people are wearing their masks. The majority of people around here flat out call the virus a hoax(thanks Trump). In fact, yesterday there were posts all over social media about a “National no mask day”. Smh

Of course the US is also in turmoil because of the recent race equality protests, which I support, but a majority of them are ignoring safety guidelines and giving the virus a massive platform to spread. I sincerely hope not, but I feel like the second wave we’re expecting in a couple months will be extremely devastating...

Rising

United States
    It’s astonishing how people around here are reacting to this virus. If I have to go out to a store, I’d estimate that maybe 25% of people are wearing their masks. The majority of people around here flat out call the virus a hoax(thanks Trump). In fact, yesterday there were posts all over social media about a “National no mask day”. Smh

Of course the US is also in turmoil because of the recent race equality protests, which I support, but a majority of them are ignoring safety guidelines and giving the virus a massive platform to spread. I sincerely hope not, but I feel like the second wave we’re expecting in a couple months will be extremely devastating...
    The "second wave" has pretty much already started in some places.

I talked to a guy I know from way back in high school the other day, whom I hadn't heard from in several years since he moved to LA. To my surprise, the guy has mutated into a Trumpian, and he is also convinced that the virus is a "hoax", and also that George Floyd is really in Aruba sipping cocktails with the four cops that supposedly killed him, all of them enjoying big fat checks from George Soros. Yes, folks, the Trumpians are really like that, they are not an exaggerated figment of the media's imagination. They truly believe all this kind of nonsense conspiracy theories.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The "second wave" has pretty much already started in some places.
    A second wave is to be expected. The question simply is how big. I suspect it will not be very big...
    -Carl Sagan

England

At least we know how it would play out when the "zombie virus" strikes, people piling round to each others houses for family BBQ's and teenagers meeting up for parties in huge groups and getting themselves bit This pandemic will have written the plots for a whole new generation of disaster/outbreak movies with social commentary!

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    At least we know how it would play out when the "zombie virus" strikes, people piling round to each others houses for family BBQ's and teenagers meeting up for parties in huge groups and getting themselves bit This pandemic will have written the plots for a whole new generation of disaster/outbreak movies with social commentary!
    Interestingly, in Dawn Romero had already anticipated irresponsible public behavior during a zombie pandemic, which only ends up making matters worse. That's what the whole opening sequence at the TV station is about: for three weeks a lot of people have not been paying attention to what the authorities have been informing about how the zombie situation had to be best dealt with in order to make their numbers dwindle.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Interestingly, in Dawn Romero had already anticipated irresponsible public behavior during a zombie pandemic, which only ends up making matters worse. That's what the whole opening sequence at the TV station is about: for three weeks a lot of people have not been paying attention to what the authorities have been informing about how the zombie situation had to be best dealt with in order to make their numbers dwindle.
    Yep. The tenement where people are refusing to give up their dead, having hidden them from the authorities ... or the TV station continuing to run out-of-date information (sending people to rescue stations that are no longer operational, thereby likely killing many people). The yahoos out for a good time shooting zombies, treating it like a lark and boozing on beer. Then you've got the anarchic elements with the biker gang looting and pillaging.

Romero nailed so many things with Dawn of the Dead. It's been a while since I last saw it (although by this point I have seen it coming up on forty times), but I'm looking forward to Second Sight's juicy deluxe box set later in the year (got mine pre-ordered).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    ...but I'm looking forward to Second Sight's juicy deluxe box set later in the year (got mine pre-ordered).
    £65-80 is kinda steep don't you think?
    -Carl Sagan