Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I'm on holiday in Key West at the moment and it's empty especially being spring break. When I flew in last week the border patrol was still fingerprinting everyone without wiping anything down. No screening outside of where you were traveling from
    So what happens with you flying back to the UK? Will you get stuck out there? What happens if the UK shuts down flights from the US like the US are doing with flights from the UK on Monday?

Must be weird places being generally kinda empty. I saw a video showing shots from around various tourist hotspots and they're almost like ghost towns.

England
    The US government have said they are letting people return home. I'm staying with friends so a delay would actually be welcome. I don't want to come back to the bullshit I'm witnessing.
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    Yeah hope everyone here and their loved ones stay safe.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 16-Mar-2020 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Words
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    For people who get CV19 and then recover, the next 3-4 months could be a bonus for them. ie: If they can go on holiday locations will be quiet. But then no entertainment/restaurants...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    My friend works in China (Shanghai), so the Corona panic has already come and gone - somewhat. She was in quarantine for 14 days, isolated in our compound. Stores and 7-Elevens were still open, tho.

Now, in the aftermath, they have to take their temperature whenever they enter a restaurant and their presence is "logged". If anyone has a fever, it's thus easy to whoever they may have had contact with at any given location.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    My friend works in China (Shanghai), so the Corona panic has already come and gone - somewhat. She was in quarantine for 14 days, isolated in our compound. Stores and 7-Elevens were still open, tho.

Now, in the aftermath, they have to take their temperature whenever they enter a restaurant and their presence is "logged". If anyone has a fever, it's thus easy to whoever they may have had contact with at any given location.
    Problem is when they turn off the brakes and let society start functioning normally again. ie: Will infections zoom up again?!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    For people who get CV19 and then recover, the next 3-4 months could be a bonus for them. ie: If they can go on holiday locations will be quiet. But then no entertainment/restaurants...
    I've just come back from 2 weeks holiday in the States and I had a great time but I was staying with friends. Speaking to normal tourists on the flight home last night, it is no fun at all as everything is closing/closed. I flew from Miami and you couldn't stay in a hotel that night and onwards unless you were a first responder etc.
    Last edited by kidgloves; 23-Mar-2020 at 08:24 PM. Reason: fgg

MY HOME CINEMA

Rising

United States
    Around here things are starting to look like a Communist state: long lines of people to get into supermarkets, limited amount of things you can buy per person. The public frenzy has led to people buying supplies like crazy, forcing such measures into place. The streets have been basically deserted most of the day, and that was already without the curfews being in place. It's almost like being in... a zombie movie!

Super Moderator

UK
    kidgloves - glad you're back home and weren't too caught up in it all. Did you get any kind of checks on the way in? I heard the other day that at Heathrow people were just coming in from flights and going straight through as normal - it makes you wonder what on earth at the people in charge of Heathrow even doing? Picking their navels?

We're just gone into lockdown here in the UK for the next three weeks. I understand the need to 'suffocate' the virus and really hack it off at the knees - there's no reason, with all of our collective knowledge and abilities and technology as a species, to not do all that we can to stop it from becoming a bigger (or even major) problem - but it's also infuriating to see idiots saying "ah, fuck it" and going against all recommendations. The longer those dopes piss about the longer we all have to continue biting the shit sandwich. This affects everyone, so assholes won't be tolerated, and that's why we get lockdowns.

"Ooh, the pubs are shutting? Better haul ass down there to join hundreds of other sweaty chumps to stand cheek by jowl guzzling from hastily washed glasses!"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Strange times! I hope everyone here is being safe at home!

Unfortunately my local government is only seeing the economical side of the crisis and has yet to close nonessential business, so this week I had to make the tough decision to stay home, like many people, potentially losing the job when this is all over.

The whole world is going to be in economic trouble after this, but it’s just insane to keep people out on the streets while hospitals are overloaded.

England
    There was a prepared speech read by the captain, who was genuinely emotional, when we landed with standard information. They were handing out leaflets at Heathrow and posters up. There was no wiping down if the automatic passport readers that I saw though. No checks whatsoever

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    I think, financially, there'll probably just have to be a worldwide agreement to say "Let's just forget the last [x] weeks/months, yeah? Pick up where we left off? Yeah."

I see the limit for contactless payments is rising from £30 to £45 at the start of April, to help facilitate less touching when buying food (i.e. cash or the buttons when entering your PIN).

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I think, financially, there'll probably just have to be a worldwide agreement to say "Let's just forget the last [x] weeks/months, yeah? Pick up where we left off? Yeah."

I see the limit for contactless payments is rising from £30 to £45 at the start of April, to help facilitate less touching when buying food (i.e. cash or the buttons when entering your PIN).
    I mean, we could just abolish money. :/

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Strange times! I hope everyone here is being safe at home!

Unfortunately my local government is only seeing the economical side of the crisis and has yet to close nonessential business, so this week I had to make the tough decision to stay home, like many people, potentially losing the job when this is all over.

The whole world is going to be in economic trouble after this, but it’s just insane to keep people out on the streets while hospitals are overloaded.
    In Sweden work places, schools and restaurants are still open, but people are encouraged to stay at home if possible. Most offices are closed, with people working form home. I think this is the best approach, because the end goal is to form a horde immunity, but to do so at an acceptable pace. Not too quick, as that would overflow the hospitals with sick people, but not too slow because that would mean months and months of quarantine and essentially no longer a functioning society.

Closing schools is not as effective as people think, as the kids don't go away. They will instead linger elsewhere. You can't expect teenagers to stay indoors for weeks on end - they won't. And unless you're a dictatorship like China, you can't enforce it either...

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    In Sweden work places, schools and restaurants are still open, but people are encouraged to stay at home if possible. Most offices are closed, with people working form home. I think this is the best approach, because the end goal is to form a horde immunity, but to do so at an acceptable pace. Not too quick, as that would overflow the hospitals with sick people, but not too slow because that would mean months and months of quarantine and essentially no longer a functioning society.

Closing schools is not as effective as people think, as the kids don't go away. They will instead linger elsewhere. You can't expect teenagers to stay indoors for weeks on end - they won't. And unless you're a dictatorship like China, you can't enforce it either...
    That’s been a huge problem here in the states once this all started. All schools are closed and a lot of the state’s adults are staying home, but there are still many people laughing it off and trying to live their normal lives. The US government has left the closings up to the decision of each individual state, my state is refusing to lock people down at home, so now it’s all the way down to individual counties and even very small cities having to take their own actions and release “shelter in place” orders in their own small areas.