Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That’s been a huge problem here in the states once this all started. All schools are closed and a lot of the state’s adults are staying home, but there are still many people laughing it off and trying to live their normal lives. The US government has left the closings up to the decision of each individual state, my state is refusing to lock people down at home, so now it’s all the way down to individual counties and even very small cities having to take their own actions and release “shelter in place” orders in their own small areas.
    The rate of new infections in the US is going up at a high rate! Could overtake Italy around the weekend. And with such a quick increase the death rate is masked, as it seems to take folks two or so weeks to die. So prepare for some scary death increase sometime next week?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The rate of new infections in the US is going up at a high rate! Could overtake Italy around the weekend. And with such a quick increase the death rate is masked, as it seems to take folks two or so weeks to die. So prepare for some scary death increase sometime next week?
    Looks like it. Italy is probably close to it's peak right about now.

Sweden is coming along fairly well actually... In fact I know quite a few who've had it and recovered by now. Life is pretty close to business as usual, at least compared to most other countries out there in the media - Italy, Spain, US, China.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My local governments are finally putting the shelter order in place. The final decisions on school closings are expected today, likely closing schools for the rest of the year. Seems like they waited way too long, but at least it’s a start.

I’m seeing a lot of people and businesses doing things to step up, including free deliveries and bill payment suspensions. Not to mention particular groups that are putting themselves in danger and going out to help those in need. Even if on a smaller scale, it’s extremely relieving to see how people can pull together if needed. It should be that way at ALL times, but it’s still heartwarming and helps restore a bit of faith in people, which we don’t see enough of these days...

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Looking forward to all the organized strikes coming up.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So, for the stateside follks....how do you feel about Trump leaving it up to local governments to release shelter-in-place orders? Not all areas are equally affected, but certain areas are hit hard and their local governments aren’t doing anything about it. For example, my state of Georgia. Hospitals are already beyond capacity, yet the governor refuses to issue a state-wide order. Likely due to Trump’s ridiculous timeline of things being back to normal within two weeks.

So because of this stupidity, people are having to choose between the safety of themselves and their loved ones, or go to work anyway just to keep their position. I made the decision last week, and it’s family and health full-stop, but it’s still a very bad situation for worker’s income and future. I know some guys that are terrified and want to stay home for their family’s safety, yet they don’t have the minor monetary luxury of being able to make the decision themselves.

Super Moderator

UK
    So, for the stateside follks....how do you feel about Trump leaving it up to local governments to release shelter-in-place orders? Not all areas are equally affected, but certain areas are hit hard and their local governments aren’t doing anything about it. For example, my state of Georgia. Hospitals are already beyond capacity, yet the governor refuses to issue a state-wide order. Likely due to Trump’s ridiculous timeline of things being back to normal within two weeks.

So because of this stupidity, people are having to choose between the safety of themselves and their loved ones, or go to work anyway just to keep their position. I made the decision last week, and it’s family and health full-stop, but it’s still a very bad situation for worker’s income and future. I know some guys that are terrified and want to stay home for their family’s safety, yet they don’t have the minor monetary luxury of being able to make the decision themselves.
    In this instance, surely it should be a nation-wide decision? Having pockets all over the place doing different things flies totally in the face of the intentions of a lockdown.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    In this instance, surely it should be a nation-wide decision? Having pockets all over the place doing different things flies totally in the face of the intentions of a lockdown.
    Precisely. Officials continue to say they’re running two parallel tracks: 1st is safety and health, 2nd is the economy. However, it’s more and more looking like the economy is taking precedence over health and safety. Of course the economic troubles will be around for a good while and that IS an issue, but it’s becoming more and more clear that’s their main priority rather than containment and safety.

However, I will say that on last night’s address to the nation, the big orange muppet seemed to be listening more to health professionals and might now be considering more action to contain the spread, saying he’ll make more decisions based on their recommendations on Monday or Tuesday. Well, just about ALL the health professionals are calling for the lockdown now, so who knows? Maybe.

United States
    I live in Michigan and while the governor called for a state lockdown for 3 weeks, only essential businesses can stay open to operate at minimum capacity with a skeleton crew. My work decided to lie by claiming we're "essential" (we're SO not essential) and so we are operating 24/7 with mandatory overtime, business as usual before the state lockdown. I work in the shipping department and we're shipping orders out to closed businesses!

As long as businesses get to decide if they are "essential", this virus will have easy avenues to spread.

Administrator

England

The US is a huge country, so surely it makes sense that different counties might need different approaches at different times?

I agree Trump's seeming rather optimistic about "back to normal within two weeks" isn't productive, but if it's interpreted as some states being "normal"(ish)?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    The US is a huge country, so surely it makes sense that different counties might need different approaches at different times?

I agree Trump's seeming rather optimistic about "back to normal within two weeks" isn't productive, but if it's interpreted as some states being "normal"(ish)?
    A virus doesn't give a stuff about counties or county borders - it doesn't give a stuff about countries - so a half-assed, jumbled, 'partial lockdown' within a nation (no matter what size) is pretty friggin' pointless and defeats the whole purpose.

While major metropolitian areas like New York or California, with their high population densities (like London and the surrounding area), are obviously the most important areas, and the risk of infection is lower in lower density areas, you need a coordinated and consistent approach.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 29-Mar-2020 at 04:22 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    A virus doesn't give a stuff about counties or county borders - it doesn't give a stuff about countries - so a half-assed, jumbled, 'partial lockdown' within a nation (no matter what size) is pretty friggin' pointless and defeats the whole purpose.

While major metropolitian areas like New York or California, with their high population densities (like London and the surrounding area), are obviously the most important areas, and the risk of infection is lower in lower density areas, you need a coordinated and consistent approach.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I think it's fair to treat different places of a country differently, depending on the local situation.
    However you cannot have a quarantine in place in one spot and not have it in others - because people will just go from the one place to the other bringing the disease with them. That's what happened in Italy.

There's no exact science to this and only time will tell what strategies were the best or not. But we're only at the beginning of this, and over the course of the coming year I don't think there'll be that big of a difference in the way various countries will have responded.

United States

sadly, my job is one that is primarily focused on public safety, so i've had to continue working, and my wife (though she only works two days a week) works in the payroll department for an essential business so we can't really follow this guy's advice. there are no reported cases in any of the handful of counties near where i live, but in a neighboring state right across the river it's starting to show up.

stay safe and stay sane, my friends. don't be one of those assholes who hoards toilet paper and basic stuff that everyone else needs just as bad as you do.

United States
    Connecticut isn't as bad as our neighbor NY but it's getting up there. TP is nowhere to be found and I can't leave the apartment without a mask and gloves. Truly feels like The Walking Dead whenever we need supplies.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    Coronavirus...

Administrator

England
    If we compare Wisconsin to New York, do you think they need the same approach, at the same time? If New York is locked down, do you think it makes sense for Wisconsin to be locked down as well? Different states need different action at different times surely?
    -Carl Sagan