Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona Virus

England
    Well, Im a key worker now in the role of delivering food to people and the love, respect and gratitude is quite overwhelming.
    Lets just hope people remember when its all over

of all the info i've read and videos i've watched, this info has stuck the best and help me understand the hows, whys etc

Last edited by kidgloves; 30-Mar-2020 at 10:08 AM. Reason: fggf
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    Well, Im a key worker now in the role of delivering food to people and the love, respect and gratitude is quite overwhelming.
    Lets just hope people remember when its all over
    Yeh, my son works part time in a supermarket, and some old gentlemen came up to personally thank him for working in the store. ie: To keep the shelves full etc. He was quite touched by it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If we compare Wisconsin to New York, do you think they need the same approach, at the same time? If New York is locked down, do you think it makes sense for Wisconsin to be locked down as well? Different states need different action at different times surely?
    Geographically, yes, it would make sense to tackle the virus area-by-area, but as MZ mentioned, most people won’t follow those rules and it spreads anyway. All medical professionals are warning that nearly every state will be in the same position as New York within the coming weeks. NY is just an example or warning for the rest of the country. We’ve gotten to the point that states are setting up checkpoints on their borders and threatening legal action to any travelers from the states that are hit hard at this moment.

At this moment, certain cities are more affected than others, but doctors are saying each an every city will get their NY crisis soon enough. As MZ said, you can’t stop a viral spread with these imaginary state lines.

On a lighter note: It’s amazing how accurate Demolition Man predicted our futures. There’s no toilet paper, going to Taco Bell is a big deal, people refrain from physical contact because of disease, and Wesley Snipes has been let out of prison. Saw this on a meme that I couldn’t share here, but it made me laugh.
    Last edited by bassman; 31-Mar-2020 at 11:32 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    On a lighter note: It’s amazing how accurate Demolition Man predicted our futures. There’s no toilet paper, going to Taco Bell is a big deal, people refrain from physical contact because of disease, and Wesley Snipes has been let out of prison. Saw this on a meme that I couldn’t share here, but it made me laugh.
    This one?

Another one I liked was this:

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    That’s the one. Pretty cool poster art, actually...

United States
    well, this nasty shit has now made it out to the sticks, as it's in my county and the one to the north. no word on who the afflicted is or what their profession is, but the person from my county who tested positive is supposedly quarantined at home.

the case from the county to the north of me is a bit more alarming, though, as this person allegedly works at a convenience store and has been in contact with dozens, if not a couple hundred, different people in the last week.

while i'm not living in fear, i am taking every precaution i can and will admit that i am a bit worried for myself and my wife and children, but am even more concerned for my father, who has survived two bouts with cancer over the last five years, and my elderly grandmothers, both of which are in their late 80s.

damn, i wish they would get a bit more serious about this shit and just force a temporary lockdown for a couple of weeks, and say to hell with the stupid economy...good times. stay safe and sanitary, my brothers and sisters.

Administrator

England
    Hope Boris recovers swiftly :/
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Hope Boris recovers swiftly :/
    I saw on the news this morning that he was released from the ICU? That’s certainly good news.

Because of Trump’s insistence on “opening up” the economy, some employers are starting to ignore the SiP orders and are ordering workers to return. My employer being one of them. We make recreational outdoor games and promotional materials. Nothing at ALL essential, yet the owner feels that the stay at home orders don’t apply to us simply because he’s made a handful of face shields with spare time and posted about it online. Nothing official, no contract, no real production, just a few Facebook videos of a handful of shields and THAT makes it essential?!?

On top of that, he also said on the Facebook post: “any local nurses or doctors swing by our shop to pick them up!”. Absolutely NO risk involved with that!

So now I’ve got the weekend to decide to either go back and risk my family members, or deny the request and lose my job. It’s stupid shit like this that continues the spread...
    Last edited by bassman; 10-Apr-2020 at 01:52 PM. Reason: .

Rising

United States

Super Moderator

UK
    Damn, bassman - that's a shitty situation.

Either way I hope you and yours will be safe - and indeed to all HPOTD'ers.

United States
    there are so many businesses in my area that are trying to justify staying open. a fucking antique store that sells overpriced bread mixes and high-dollar jellies and jams, along with farm-fresh eggs has got the okay to stay open, with even our mayor trying to say they are "essential"....i understand that lots of businesses and people are hurting, but that kind of hubris really irks the fuck out of me.

meanwhile, my job has decided to put us on rotating shifts, so i am on-call, ready, rested, and sober chilling at the house next week, then reporting for normal duty the following week. this will continue "indefinitely" they are saying. my state is under "shelter in place" orders until the end of the month, so it might be a few weeks, or if the virus continues to spread it could be a few months. fortunately, i will continue to be paid my full salary for the duration, so no complaints here i suppose. i'm actually a bit giddy about it, to be honest, but i do feel a bit guilty knowing many out there are having a very rough time with all of this.

Super Moderator

UK
    Bassman - if the boss gets shitty about anything, they appear to be keen on their social media appearance (that half-assed 'look, I made some masks, how great am I?' schtick), but they wouldn't look too good sacking people who are trying to abide by the rules to keep their family safe and well (perhaps they need to be reminded of that?) - and for a non-essential business, too, just smacks of carelessness. Sounds as if they're not too fussed about social distancing and thinking through how to best keep people spread apart and surfaces clean, either.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I saw on the news this morning that he was released from the ICU? That’s certainly good news.

Because of Trump’s insistence on “opening up” the economy, some employers are starting to ignore the SiP orders and are ordering workers to return. My employer being one of them. We make recreational outdoor games and promotional materials. Nothing at ALL essential, yet the owner feels that the stay at home orders don’t apply to us simply because he’s made a handful of face shields with spare time and posted about it online. Nothing official, no contract, no real production, just a few Facebook videos of a handful of shields and THAT makes it essential?!?

On top of that, he also said on the Facebook post: “any local nurses or doctors swing by our shop to pick them up!”. Absolutely NO risk involved with that!

So now I’ve got the weekend to decide to either go back and risk my family members, or deny the request and lose my job. It’s stupid shit like this that continues the spread...

Your employer sounds like an arse Bassy.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 11-Apr-2020 at 01:06 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    There's a statewide shut down here and my work is still open and operating 24/7 because they classified themselves as "essential". We produce plastic pipes for plumbing.

Administrator

England
    So, I wonder if the global community will do the sensible thing, and hold China and the WHO accountable for their handling of the earlier stages of this pandemic? ie: Their lies/poor information?
    -Carl Sagan