Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TWD 10x09 "Squeeze" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ps: I still don't understand why Negan hasn't killed Alpha in the times he's been alone with her? Thoughts?
    He'll be formulating some kind of plan - no doubt. He's a calculating kind of a guy.

Now, that scene with Alpha giving him a "reward" ... I just couldn't stop thinking about how grim that'd be. Both will have rank breath, for one, but Negan's been sweatin' it up in the woods in the summer in a leather jacket for a while now, and he'd just been thrown into the Whisperer's latrine earlier in the episode ... ... Alpha, meanwhile, I can't imagine she's had a bath in quite some time (and notice how there's no toilet paper in the Whisperer world).

Now, in terms of Carol - yes, she's making bad decisions, but she's also making them out of pure emotion, and very wounded emotions at that. Her recklessness was recognised in this episode in no uncertain terms, but I do hope the writers don't fall back into the problems of seasons 7 and 8 where you'd find smart survivors doing dumb things almost as a matter of routine (e.g. the garbage truck smashing into Sanctuary and bolloxing up the siege plan they'd all previously agreed upon).

However, Carol has been through the wringer. She lost her actual daughter early on, she lost her adoptive children (in season 4) - one of whom she herself had to execute (!!!) - then a few seasons worth of various complications, then she finally finds some peace and gains a new adoptive son with Henry - and she gets to live a decent life for a good few years, before all of it is torn away from her in the most violent and grotesque manner. Seeing your child's head on a pike (and reanimated, to boot) would be the most harrowing thing she's ever seen and endured. It broke her. Between seasons 9 and 10 she has basically exiled herself to run away from the awful memories of what had gone down there, having also ditched Ezekiel in the process. Now she comes back and with the killer of her child still out there in the world somewhere, returning to the scene of the terrible crime inevitably brings it all back and she spirals out of control.

Driven by searing white hot revenge and unresolved grief she's unsurprisingly not making the best decisions. Her need to kill Alpha is so absolute and so desperate there is no rationality at work - but the climax of this episode will perhaps knock some sense back into her.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 26-Feb-2020 at 10:17 AM.

United States
    The Daryl/Carol dynamic is reminiscent to Rick/Carol from season 4. I loved how Daryl couldn’t say a word to her at the end. I believe this will end Carol’s obsession with Alpha; leaving the room all for Negan.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    The Daryl/Carol dynamic is reminiscent to Rick/Carol from season 4. I loved how Daryl couldn’t say a word to her at the end. I believe this will end Carol’s obsession with Alpha; leaving the room all for Negan.
    Yeah, on Talking Dead they mentioned the link to Rick exiling Carol in season 4, all the stronger now that Daryl has had to step up and fill Rick's boots - and it's been really good to see Daryl develop as a character so much since Kang took over. We're a long way from the grunting lone wolf of season 7, and so much farther away than the redneck little brother of season 1.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, on Talking Dead they mentioned the link to Rick exiling Carol in season 4, all the stronger now that Daryl has had to step up and fill Rick's boots - and it's been really good to see Daryl develop as a character so much since Kang took over. We're a long way from the grunting lone wolf of season 7, and so much farther away than the redneck little brother of season 1.
    Freaking AMC airing TD an hour past the actual show is stupid. Don’t even watch it anymore.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Freaking AMC airing TD an hour past the actual show is stupid. Don’t even watch it anymore.
    Well they did that on this occasion because they premiered season 5 of Better call Saul (they did two episodes this week, one on Sunday and one on its usual Monday slot) - but TD will be back to it's normal time for 10x10.

Administrator

England
    I just couldn't stop thinking about how grim that'd be. Both will have rank breath, for one, but Negan's been sweatin' it up in the woods in the summer in a leather jacket for a while now, and he'd just been thrown into the Whisperer's latrine earlier in the episode ... ... Alpha, meanwhile, I can't imagine she's had a bath in quite some time (and notice how there's no toilet paper in the Whisperer world).
    The same sort of question comes up with people from hundreds of years ago, where hygiene was far poorer. So I suspect the answer is the same. You simply get used to the smell...?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    The same sort of question comes up with people from hundreds of years ago, where hygiene was far poorer. So I suspect the answer is the same. You simply get used to the smell...?
    I couldn't handle it, man. Nope.

Super Moderator

UK
    *shudders*

A 'ghost poo' is such a rarity in normal life, so you just know the Whisperers are walking around with very rusty sheriff's badges. Even with a few leaves ... it's just not happening.

I couldn't handle it, man. Nope.
    Negan really is taking one for the team.

Rising

United States
    The Whisperers might be a bit cleaner than one would at first think. These guys do not live under a roof but in the open air. Every time it rains, they take a shower, whether they want to or not.

Also, we do not know what their purposeful hygienic habits might be. They live in the forests and therefore have access to cascades, springs, rivers, streams, brooks, lakes, ponds, etc. Access to water is definitely not an issue. They have as much of it as they could possibly want.

Super Moderator

UK
    A rinse off is better than nothing, sure, but it's not exactly a decent wash by any means.

No doubt they'll still reek way more than the other survivors, who have: toiletries, changes of clothes, clean beds, a roof over their heads, actual showers with soap, flushing toilets, bog roll etc.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 28-Feb-2020 at 04:22 PM.

United States
    Alpha dropped a deuce and didn’t even wipe.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 29-Feb-2020 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Dingleberries.

Super Moderator

UK
    Alpha dropped a deuce and didn’t even wipe.
    Exactly. Grotty Whisperers are grotty.

Also at your editing reason.

No wonder all their clothes are so dreary ... fifty shades of gastric brown.

United States
    Exactly. Grotty Whisperers are grotty.

Also at your editing reason.

No wonder all their clothes are so dreary ... fifty shades of gastric brown.
    It’s safe to assume The Whisperers don’t believe in good hygiene anymore haha.