Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day Of The Dead: TV Series

Just been bitten

Scotland

Day Of The Dead: TV Series

A wee bit of pee came out of me when I logged onto Daily Dead and saw that SyFy have ordered a 10 part TV remake.

I thought... THE ORIGINAL SCRIPT! That would be amazing!!! I then read the synopsis and it doesn't even look like it will be anything like the Romero classic. I think it looks like it will be very similar to Netflix's Black Summer. (which is ok, but nowhere near the class of the first season of Fear the Walking Dead)

Anyway. I thought I would share as I don't see why it should only be my little black heart that weeps at the thought of another murdering of Day of the Dead.

https://dailydead.com/syfy-orders-da...miere-details/
    Last edited by MagicMoonMonkey; 28-Feb-2020 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo

Super Moderator

UK
    Ugh, another butchering of the name - just steal the name and shit out anything at all.

Who knows, it could be amazing, but it could just as easily be garbage like everything else (other than the original 1985 film) that has that title attached to it.

Rising

United States
    SyFy channel is not the most ideal place to pick up something like this. Also, from the synopsis it looks like the producers don't really know what Romero's Day is actually about. "First 24 hours of an undead invasion"??? LOL! Yeah, methinks you folks are confusing Day with Night (pun 101% fully intended!)

Oh, and just a "wild guess": they will run and jump like athletes in a decathlon. Right? PFFFFF!....

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    SyFy channel is not the most ideal place to pick up something like this. Also, from the synopsis it looks like the producers don't really know what Romero's Day is actually about. "First 24 hours of an undead invasion"??? LOL! Yeah, methinks you folks are confusing Day with Night (pun 101% fully intended!)

Oh, and just a "wild guess": they will run and jump like athletes in a decathlon. Right? PFFFFF!....
    You know that the visionaries responsible for the reimagining's of Day of the Dead always try to outdo each other.

We had talking mutant zombies in DotD: Contagium. We had spiderman and vegetarian zombies in DotD 08 and we had the panty sniffing half zombie ninja version of Bub in DotD: Bloodline. You can bet your soul that these will be runners with some "new twist to ramp up the terror" to break the collective hearts of the fans of Day.

So many chances to do the original script. Make a proper horror movie and time and time again they just rape the name of a true classic to make whatever drug fuelled nonsense that they come up with in a crackhouse brain-storming session.

They are not fans of the original masterpiece despite what they say.

United States
    It’s really not hard. I don’t get it.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    It’s really not hard. I don’t get it.
    I know.

Now, there could be a rights issue with the original script - but assuming that was all a-okay, you could take Romero's original Day script and adapt that (flesh it out further, tweak the odd thing that doesn't quite work etc). Zombie content these days doesn't really explore the idea of innate behaviour or 'training' zombies (as if they were animals), which was an underlying theme of Romero's zombie films, which was particularly clear in Dawn/Day/Land, but also quite explicitly in Survival.

To see a polished up version of Romero's original script would have been a golden opportunity.

But no. Instead...

Great Britain
    It's out now in the UK on the SciFi channel

Ign gave the premire a 4/10 and say its bad.

Super Moderator

UK
    Blimey, sounds like absolute shite ... mind you, being that the poster is literlly flipping the middle finger, that about says it all.

Any clips I've seen it's stunning that anybody had the balls to make any connection whatsoever to Romero's film.

It's insulting that people get paid to write that garbage and crap like that actually gets made. Perhaps if "SyFy" actually bothered to get some talent involved in their shows they'd make a hit. Perhaps they've got managers from the same brain trust that thinks making CW shows even cheaper will be a good idea.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Aug-2022 at 09:54 PM.

Ireland
    I wish they would stop using that name for shite.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Like so much these days, it's just 'skin appropriation' to slide something else in using a famous skin. eg: The new Robin Hood series using all the canon of the name "Robin Hood" to instead sneak in a black female character.

Here we have all the fame and canon of Romero's "Day of the Dead" being used to sneak in a modern generic zombie production.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Like so much these days, it's just 'skin appropriation' to slide something else in using a famous skin. eg: The new Robin Hood series using all the canon of the name "Robin Hood" to isntead sneak in a black female character.
    Wokin Hood?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Like so much these days, it's just 'skin appropriation' to slide something else in using a famous skin. eg: The new Robin Hood series using all the canon of the name "Robin Hood" to isntead sneak in a black female character.

Here we have all the fame and canon of Romero's "Day of the Dead" being used to sneak in a modern generic zombie production.
    I think this is less a "bait and switch" and more just slapping the most basic of basic 'elements' to piggy back on name brand recognition. "Day of the Dead" + "zombies" = money ... or so they think.

The way that Taurus et al have abused the Day of the Dead IP and Romero's name is vile.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 17-Aug-2022 at 12:25 PM.

Great Britain
    I've watched the first episode, pretty much the only tie in to the Movie is some of the characters are named the same like Rhodes now works in fracking, my first thought after watching the episode is its like if you bought Z Nation from Wish.com, it trying to be a bit tongue in cheek and fails, some of the make up and gore aren't awful, but the story, actors, reason for zombies coming back to life and over all feel is it's dogshit and not just dogshit but white dogshit.

2/10 and it only gets a 2 due to sum gore effects.

Its on Sky SyFy not the SyFy channel in the uk.

Rising

United States
    LOL @ the "Inspired by George A. Romero" caption:

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    LOL @ the "Inspired by George A. Romero" caption:
    And right next to the aforementioned flipped middle finger.