Thread: TWD 10x13 "What We Become" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 10x13 "What We Become" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 10x13 "What We Become" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Sharat Raju
    Written by: Vivian Tse

Michonne takes Virgil back to his island to find his family; in exchange, Virgil offers weapons.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 23-Mar-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Another really good episode. Quite enjoyed this one - especially the 'what if' sequences.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    I really liked the inclusion of jimsonweed. In the original Day of the Dead script, in the opening sequence, someone finds Datura, and calls it out. Jimsonweed and Datura are the same thing.

UK
    To be honest with the Coronavirus news and trying to work out if I have to go to work or not I didn't have a clue what was going on.

Not a fan of this expanded universe idea. We should see this Rick / Michonne thing play out on the main show not on cash in films.

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, the trouble with 16 episode seasons (there is little excuse these days for anything longer than 10, really), and with the amount of time it takes to shoot all those, you're going to end up with cast members getting popular and finding other opportunities elsewhere. So they leave the show. The TWD movies will provide a bigger canvas to splash some stories, but if the seasons had always been shorter you'd then provide more time for the cast to either spend with their families or pursue other opportunities elsewhere - and then, therefore, stand a better chance of keeping your cast in-place. Similarly, the crew would all have chances to work on other projects or spend more time with their families. I think a lot of shows that go longer than 10 episodes per season need to think more sustainably about the work/life balance.

Anywaaaaaaay - I loved the "what if" scenario for Michonne. A couple of years back they kept talking about The Saviours and 'what if we had always been following them?', which never quite rang true (they're bullies, essentially, up to no good) - but this finally gave at least some credence to that idea, at least that a good person could become a full blown Saviour if they'd just made one or two different decisions. I loved the music during that sequence, too, and how they crafted these alternative versions of familiar scenes - e.g. 7x01 - and then seeing how Daryl and Rick would have hunted down Michonne and killed her in that alternative universe.

I was also wondering how they'd justify Michonne leaving her kids - but to have Judith be the one to allow it was a clever idea.

United States
    When Glenn and Abraham were killed, I believe the creators got cold feet on killing popular characters again due to the extreme backlash that led to the show’s decline in ratings. So send offs like this is what we get now.

Loved the “What if” montage and I agree on the music. Just awesome.

I think the Michonne character deserved a better ending. This just felt a bit flat to me. Not really epic at all. Rick’s exit was handled better imo. Why couldn’t she end her story around our favorite characters instead of isolating her with nobodies during the Whisperer War? Strange.

I just feel we won’t really get these payoffs. The Rick movie hasn’t even started production and with everything going on in the world it definitely won’t be anytime soon now.

Anyway, I liked Michonne. Wish she would have saw it through to the end.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    On the plus side we'll be getting Maggie back next season, so the tide will reverse for that character at least.

Sometimes the writers can get painted into a corner not of their own making, and with production schedules and everything to think of they've gotta work within a lot of definite parameters. It's like with Connie being written out for the moment - the actress was off shooting a movie - so that's why she joined Magna in the cave-in, and why she 'got lost' in the shuffle when they escaped. Hopefully we'll see her again before the end of the season (and alive).

I wouldn't say they've gone soft on killing off beloved characters. Siddiq was really popular, as was Tara, but we also have to remember that we're low on big names that we can afford to lose at this point - some folks have to make it to the end of the series after all!

I'm glad that Michonne will be going off to find Rick...
    COMICS SPOILER:

That way we'll hopefully get a version of the scene where Michonne turned up at The Commonwealth and saw that billboard covered with photographs of people - and she saw a picture of her grown up daughter (who hadn't died in the comics, but I think Michonne assumed was dead). We can have a version of that where she sees a picture of Rick - and then re-unites with him (in the movie(s)).