Thread: BBC: Coronavirus: The Walking Dead to pause on penultimate episode

England

BBC: Coronavirus: The Walking Dead to pause on penultimate episode

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52032461

Fans of The Walking Dead must wait for the finale of the current series after producers revealed they had not been able to finish it because of Covid-19.

That means season 10 will end with its penultimate episode next month - but they aim to air the planned finale as a special episode later in the year.

AMC, which makes the zombie drama, said the pandemic had made it "impossible" to finish the episode on time.

Season 10 started airing last October and will now wrap up on 5 April.

"Current events have unfortunately made it impossible to complete post-production of The Walking Dead season 10 finale, so the current season will end with its 15th episode on April 5," the network said.

When it does eventually arrive, the programme-makers have promised the finale will be "an epic, action-packed thriller with plenty of surprises".

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There’s going to be a huge gap in any sort of movie or tv releases after this corona thing is behind us. Productions were one of the first industries to shut down when Corona hit US shores. At least, they did here in Georgia.

Super Moderator

UK
    Proper irritating, but such is the situation.

I saw plenty of comments online from dummies saying shit like 'how stupid and poorly organised to not have the entire thing done before airing' ... ... *insert Picard face palm meme here* ... ... that's simply not how TV production works. They begin airing a season in October but don't finish shooting it until a month after that, and when they're still doing post-production on the final episodes they've already started pre-production on the next season (which is where they were at with season 11 when the industry shutdowns started with this feckin' virus).

We'll have to hold our nut in for the time being, folks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    There’s going to be a huge gap in any sort of movie or tv releases after this corona thing is behind us. Productions were one of the first industries to shut down when Corona hit US shores. At least, they did here in Georgia.
    I suppose there will at least be some delayed releases from around about now that will come out later, to help paper over the cracks a little bit. Some shows are nearly finished, some movies were all lined up for a release but got pulled at the last minute (e.g. the new Bond movie had just started its promotional tour), so there'll be some stuff ... but yeah, there'll be a bit of a lag, a bit of a rubber band effect after lockdown lifts and we creep out of the self-isolation cave.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 26-Mar-2020 at 11:03 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I suppose there will at least be some delayed releases from around about now that will come out later, to help paper over the cracks a little bit. Some shows are nearly finished, some movies were all lined up for a release but got pulled at the last minute (e.g. the new Bond movie had just started its promotional tour), so there'll be some stuff ... but yeah, there'll be a bit of a lag, a bit of a rubber band effect after lockdown lifts and we creep out of the self-isolation cave.
    Yeah, there are definitely some movies and shows ready-to-go, but we’re still going to lose a lot of production time during all this. Everything will at the very least be three months behind regular scheduling, likely more. In fact, there’s every possibility that the future of theatrical presentations will be changed forever. Companies were already leaning into faster at-home streaming releases, and this now has the potential of changing those types of releases for good. It’s all speculation, of course, but with major current theatrical films now released on demand, during what would have been their theatrical run, this is actually the perfect testing grounds for studios. All the heavy hitters(Star Wars, Marvel, Etc) will no doubt have theatrical releases in the future, but we’re likely to see fewer films released theatrically and more straight to your family room.

The past few days there have been some great articles about these changes and big name cinema lovers such as Christopher Nolan and Edgar Wright have released their own, begging for movie lovers to buy subscriptions to their favorite theaters in an attempt to keep them alive, as well as going back as soon as they reopen.

Of course the whole world is changed right now, but for movie lovers like us, we can definitely expect major changes when we’re allowed to go back into our “church of cinema” as Edgar Wright lovingly labeled it.

United States
    What a world we living in, man. What a world.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Church of Cinema? I wish. The best we've really got around here is more like a Walmart of Cinema - big chain, cram 'em in, only the big stuff, no ushers - the McDonalds of cinema going.

Ireland
    "Coronavirus: The Walking Dead to pause on penultimate episode "

How ironic. Real life viral outbreak interrupts a show about a viral outbreak.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Church of Cinema? I wish. The best we've really got around here is more like a Walmart of Cinema - big chain, cram 'em in, only the big stuff, no ushers - the McDonalds of cinema going.
    That’s a shame. Locally owned theaters are magical if you can find them in your area. I would’ve never seen the original trilogy on the big screen if it weren’t for the 75+ year old local theater in Atlanta. Walking in, it really does feel like a church of cinema.

(Edited out general talk of Covid-19, moving to the appropriate thread)
    Last edited by bassman; 27-Mar-2020 at 11:41 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    That’s a shame. Locally owned theaters are magical if you can find them in your area. I would’ve never seen the original trilogy on the big screen if it weren’t for the 75+ year old local theater in Atlanta. Walking in, it really does feel like a church of cinema.

(Edited out general talk of Covid-19, moving to the appropriate thread)
    There is a small indie theatre (which also does stage shows etc) where I've seen a number of films over the years (e.g. I saw my first ever Bond movie there, the Matrix, Spider-Man, Dog Soldiers, The World's End), but it does suffer in terms of viewing experience in that the seating doesn't slope enough (so you get the tops of peoples' heads at the bottom of the screen) and it doesn't have surround sound (with the audio level limited due to surrounding buildings, so clarity isn't fantastic). It's a nice old theatre that re-opened in the mid-90s (when I went to see Golden Eye with my Dad the seats were old and musty and there was no heating), but it has its limitations.

We don't really have anything at all around here like The Alamo Drafthouse, or that place Tarantino owns, which are dolled up but maintain the proper experience and have revival showings etc.

United States
    Damn I want to go to a proper cinema like that now haha.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."