Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dune (film) - 2021

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    That's a long time for Mike to hold it in ... poor bugger.
    He can do it. Ex army. They teach you that...so I've heard.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Some views form a test screening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RStd7OT5ISE
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Not mad on Chalamet as Paul Atreides at all, have to say.
    Ditto. He looks too fragile to play Paul. I don't dig the stillsuit look either. Seems they wussed out and left the faces uncovered...probably in pretty boy Chalamet's contract.

I have very, very, very low expectations of anything on film called "Dune." That book is so thick, so deep, and so intricate, that not even a mini-series has been able to really tap into it. I doubt any film ever will. There is simply too much going on in that book for film.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Ireland
    I'd be in that camp as well. I just think it's one of those hard-to-translate-to-the-screen movies. Some of Lynch's movie's design was fantastic and I think he managed to understand it visually. But over all that film is a disaster.

But Villeneuve has a good eye and I like his previous stuff. I was very pleasantly surprised by his Blade Runner effort, I have to say. So, I'll give him a chance.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I'd be in that camp as well. I just think it's one of those hard-to-translate-to-the-screen movies. Some of Lynch's movie's design was fantastic and I think he managed to understand it visually. But over all that film is a disaster.

But Villeneuve has a good eye and I like his previous stuff. I was very pleasantly surprised by his Blade Runner effort, I have to say. So, I'll give him a chance.
    I'll give it a look too. I'm a huge fan of Dune and I really do hope this movie makes me eat my words. I've hoped that about every Dune effort. The mini-series had some decent things going for it but didn't bring it on home. The David Lynch movie....yikes...that's a mess. Death by intro and voice over. That film has like 3 introductions that take up way too much time. Hopefully, this avoids getting bogged down in inner monologues, explanations, and voodoo.

The inner monologues that add so much to the book are out of place in a movie and end up sounding like dreary exposition.
    Last edited by Mike70; 10-Feb-2021 at 11:30 AM. Reason: f
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    That look amazing.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Looking good!

holy shit only a little more than a month away

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Looking good!

holy shit only a little more than a month away
    Fingers crossed... A couple of my friends are massive Dune fans so have a lot of interest in this!
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’m so excited for this. Been listening to the Dune audiobook recently to prepare for its release. Hopefully it’s successful and the two parties can cooperate long enough to get the next part of the story produced. It will be a shame if Villineuve pulls out of the second part because of Warner Brothers’ streaming decisions.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Saw it last night. Not great. Very talky and pretentious. The first scene that moved me in any way occurred more than an hour in, and it was only one of two.

It's just not emotional at all. It's all visuals and exposition.

Administrator

England
    Oh dear!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It follows the book very closely, except for the omission of Count Fenring, Feyd Rautha and Liet Kynes is gender-swapped.

But, perhaps, this is also it's greatest weakness.. Paul's visions should perhaps been left in the book. They disrupt the narrative and create a distance from me to the plot.

Rising

United States
    and Liet Kynes is gender-swapped
    Wokeune?