Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dune (film) - 2021

Administrator

England
    Anyone else here seen it then?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Wokeune?
    No, nothing like that. Probably just an attempt to inject more female characters in a fairly male cast, and she's not really portrayed as being a superhuman or anything like that. Her fate is more or less the same as in the books, with a slight variation.

In fact, I think the film doesn't go far enough. A perfectly good case can be made for House Atreides being black. The only physical description we get of them in the book is that Paul's grandfather was dark. I think they should have gone down that route, it would have made sense within the lore and not felt shoehorned in at all.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Still nobody else seen this?

Ireland
    Seen it last night. It's a very good adaptation and even at 2.5 hours it flies by.

Hope it makes its shillings and we get part 2.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Wokeune?
    Not really, but it was definitely just a box ticking exercise. That being said the actress is decent enough in the role.

The only issue we had with it was the knock on effects it might have with the Femen as a whole. The Fremen are a strict patriarchy where their women (who were few in number) were little more than possessions and Liet Kynes now being a woman puts that into a bit of flux cos in the book

he was their leader.
    So some further changes may need to happen to pave over those potential cracks.

It's just all a bit unnecessary though and rather pointless as the film already boast a pretty diverse cast as it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    No, nothing like that. Probably just an attempt to inject more female characters in a fairly male cast, and she's not really portrayed as being a superhuman or anything like that. Her fate is more or less the same as in the books, with a slight variation.

In fact, I think the film doesn't go far enough. A perfectly good case can be made for House Atreides being black. The only physical description we get of them in the book is that Paul's grandfather was dark. I think they should have gone down that route, it would have made sense within the lore and not felt shoehorned in at all.
    Aren't the House Atreides descended from Greeks? So no, there's not a case to be made for them to be black, or at least sub Saharan African black.

However, in the movie at least the Fremen are darker skinned which probably is a better reflection of them than the 1984 movie.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Aren't the House Atreides descended from Greeks? So no, there's not a case to be made for them to be black, or at least sub Saharan African black.

However, in the movie at least the Fremen are darker skinned which probably is a better reflection of them than the 1984 movie.
    This is not mentioned in the book, so no.

Ireland
    It's mentioned in 'God Emperor of Dune', Leto II sees back in time and relates that the Atreides family are the descendents of Agamemnon and Menelaus. The sons of Atreus, hence the family name.

He says "My paternal grandfather was The Atreides, descendant of the House of Atreus and tracing his ancestry directly back to the Greek original"

In 'Children of Dune', Alia (Paul's sister) sees memories of being the descendent of Agamemnon.

So, while it's not mentioned specifically in 'Dune', it is in the books.

In any case, Dune takes place 8000 years into the future. Who knows what the hell they look like.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Maybe they're green.

Administrator

England
    Well, that was a fairly solid flick wasn't it

Seems part 2 has been greenlit, and now JUST TWO YEARS TO WAIT

HOME THERE'S AN EXTENDED VERSION ON THE WAY!

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2cAnvB9Ovg
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Yeah, I thought there might have been alright. Even at 2.5 hours it seemed that there may have been a substantial amount of material left on the cutting room floor. We barely see the Harkonen and there's a lot of fleeting passages in the film. Hopefully the extended blu will add back in some good stuff that had to be cut.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    On my last film, which wrapped shooting 3 weeks ago, I had the fortune to work with the makeup designers who designed the Baron's... "body suit". We've worked before, but it was really interesting to talk to them after I saw the film and hear stories from the set.

Ireland
    Well, what did they have to say?

Great Britain
    Looking forward to seeing this, nice to see so many positive reviews.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this, nice to see so many positive reviews.
    Definately a thinky slow burner. Which is why I'm hoping there's an extended version to be had...
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Definately a thinky slow burner. Which is why I'm hoping there's an extended version to be had...
    Let's be real, it's slow yes. But it's not that cerebral.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Well, what did they have to say?
    Mostly talked about the mood on set, how huge it was.
    We talked a little bit about how easy it is to get fired in that culture. One mistake and you're out.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    We talked a little bit about how easy it is to get fired in that culture. One mistake and you're out.
    There's an Alex Baldwin joke in there somewhere...
    -Carl Sagan