Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dune (film) - 2021

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Much of the casting is spot on. Oscar Isaac as the Duke is perfect. However if you wanted to be even closer to the book, you could make the argument that the Atreides are actually supposed to be black... Idris Elba would not have been a bad choice either.

Chamalet is much too brooding for my taste, though. He's not interesting at all and I don't think he can carry a film of this level. He couldn't quite carry The King, and this is bigger. They're repeating the mistakes made by previous epics, such as Kingdom of Heaven, by casting a way to low energy actor in their starring role which might risk bringing the film down with it.

I'm on the fence of Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck as well, but it might work out. In the book he's portrayed as a boisterous and flamboyant bard. Not sure if that's how they're going with this character here.

Looking over IMDB I can see they haven't announced the casting of either Feyd Rautha or Count Fenring. I suppose you could write them both out of the film and have Rabban take over Rauthas role in the narrative, but the opposite would be more interesting.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This is easily in my top three most anticipated films. Villenue hasn’t let me down yet, so hopefully he’s being given the freedom to make these two films the way he see fit.

Ireland
    Not mad on Chalamet as Paul Atreides at all, have to say.

And as bad as Lynch's 'Dune' can sink to, this film is going to have a hard time competing with the look that that film has engrained in the minds of viewers. Lynch's Baroque sets were probably the best thing about that film.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Banned User

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Not mad on Chalamet as Paul Atreides at all, have to say.

And as bad as Lynch's 'Dune' can sink to, this film is going to have a hard time competing with the look that that film has engrained in the minds of viewers. Lynch's Baroque sets were probably the best thing about that film.
    I loved the old Dune!! I hope this new one is as good?

United States
    As the resident person with a dune based username for 15 years and counting...

I'm pretty excited. Dune is such a rough project to tackle on film. I'm happy to see that this will be a two part film. Lynch couldn't fit it into one movie. The Sci Fi channel needed a three part mini series to do it any justice. Plus, think of all the new Dune games that are going to come from this. I'm pretty excited on that front as well.
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Exatreides View Post
    As the resident person with a dune based username for 15 years and counting...

I'm pretty excited. Dune is such a rough project to tackle on film. I'm happy to see that this will be a two part film. Lynch couldn't fit it into one movie. The Sci Fi channel needed a three part mini series to do it any justice. Plus, think of all the new Dune games that are going to come from this. I'm pretty excited on that front as well.
    I'm glad it's two films as well, because I agree with you - there's no way it can be only one film. Both films should end with the respective attack on Arrakeen.

Ireland
    There's still a lot to like about Lynch's effort though. Even if it's...uneven...to be kind about it.

There's an awful lot in Lynch's film that I just automatically associate with 'Dune' as a story now. Some of his visuals were fantastic.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this version. On the one hand I like the director. On the other, I am not so sure about some of his casting choices. Plus, 'Dune' is an absolute swine to get onto the screen. Nobody from Jodorowsky to Lynch to SYFY have done it well. In the case of Jodorowsky, not at all, despite great effort. Although, we should all be kind of thankful for that. If people thought Lunch's 'Dune' was weird, I have no idea what would have been made of Jodorowsky's.

Administrator

England
    Sort of think the famous faces risk distracting from it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9xhJrPXop4
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Chamalet is going to mumblecore his way through this, isn't he.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't mind the famous faces, and I think it'll be an epic ride. Looks like in some ways it's approaching the books in ways the Lynch-film did not - which I appreciate. But there's two aspects I'm not digging, one is Chamelet. He can't carry a film like this. We already saw The King and he looks to put on the exact same performance here. It's underwhelming, lifeless and introverted. I can't relate to that. Why should I care about him?

The other are the aesthetics. It's so dry, polished and cold. The Dune universe is fucking crazy, mutated beings folding space, gelatinous perverts with deformed bodies, drunken bards with lutes and swords etc, etc. It's very fanciful. This adaption does not seem to be doing that aspect of it justice.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’m on board! Although it’s lengthy, I consider this more of teaser. Especially because they know it likely won’t make it’s release window. So if that’s the case, this may be the very tip of the iceberg.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    I'm going to shit all over this. Dune, as Frank Herbert wrote it, is...not movie material. It's too dense, too complex, too rich, and way too intelligent to be broken down in even a miniseries. This is one of the modern "holy books" to me. It tells about what it means to be human in a way that no other novel has come close to. I'm not a fan of Frank Herbert adaptations. His work was very, very esoteric in nature. Very deep, very dark and not for mass consumption. To me that's the whole point of Dune. Most people are not going to "get it." They are the "animals" of which the Reverend Mother spoke.
    Last edited by Mike70; 05-Oct-2020 at 01:08 AM. Reason: mama say mama saw de macusan
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Ireland
    Pushed back til October 2021 so I heard.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    I'm going to shit all over this.
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Pushed back til October 2021 so I heard.
    That's a long time for Mike to hold it in ... poor bugger.