Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Last Of Us 2 (Video game)

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    and having never played The Last Of Us,
    Definitely something you should rectify, the first game (the remaster on PS4) is brilliant and ticks all the right post apocalyptic boxes, the atmosphere and depiction of the world 20 years after everything fell apart is so well done.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Sorry! My bad... Yes typo, I meant the latest Terminator... [Apologies if it was a spoiler for you]
    I'd already had that spoiled for me (multiple times now) several weeks/a few months ago now.

I'll watch T6 when it rolls around on the tellybox at some point, but I mean geez, what an F-U to the fans killing him off. Piss-take, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Definitely something you should rectify, the first game (the remaster on PS4) is brilliant and ticks all the right post apocalyptic boxes, the atmosphere and depiction of the world 20 years after everything fell apart is so well done.
    I'm on Xbox, so I don't reckon I'll ever be playing it, heh. I did see a lot of positive feedback and reviews etc for the first game, though, so I'm aware of it's standing - and therefore why any controversial moves in the sequel's story would inspire online ire. Although I also heard that there are large chunks where you're basically just watching cut scenes and not really getting to play enough (i.e. more like watching a movie than interacting with a videogame).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'd already had that spoiled for me (multiple times now) several weeks/a few months ago now.

I'll watch T6 when it rolls around on the tellybox at some point, but I mean geez, what an F-U to the fans killing him off. Piss-take, eh?
    It's a perfectly watchable action flick, but it's a bit of a let down and almost insult to T1 & T2 IMHO.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    There's definitely a film in there re: 'The Last of Us'. If done by the right person, it could be a real winner. John Hilcoat, who directed 'The Road', would do it justice, I reckon.

I've started up the original game again for the laugh and I'm about a couple of hours into it. It's entertaining for sure. But the gameplay is really just your standard cover based shooter, with some stealth mechanics, that's been the mainstay of console gaming for years (which is why I've always considered consoles to be the [very] poor cousin to the PC). Yes, I am an unashamed member of the master race.

It's good, in that you want to know where the story is going. But as a game, anyone that hasn't played it will have seen all the mechanics before many times, because the limitations of a controller dictates that kind of game play in games like these.

I'll probably play it through though, which is testament to how it sucks you in I suppose.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 08-May-2020 at 12:23 AM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    There's definitely a film in there re: 'The Last of Us'. If done by the right person, it could be a real winner. John Hilcoat, who directed 'The Road', would do it justice, I reckon.

I've started up the original game again for the laugh and I'm about a couple of hours into it. It's entertaining for sure. But the gameplay is really just your standard cover based shooter, with some stealth mechanics, that's been the mainstay of console gaming for years (which is why I've always considered consoles to be the [very] poor cousin to the PC). Yes, I am an unashamed member of the master race.

It's good, in that you want to know where the story is going. But as a game, anyone that hasn't played it will have seen all the mechanics before many times, because the limitations of a controller dictates that kind of game play in games like these.

I'll probably play it through though, which is testament to how it sucks you in I suppose.
    Shame it's not available on the PC...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Shame it's not available on the PC...
    You said it. I had to dig out and dust off the old PS3.

Tis a pity a number of console games don't see a release on the PC. All the more ironic when you consider that the bloody things are made on PC's.

England
    Well I bit the bullet and bought the game on Saturday after sitting on the fence over it, and have played it none stop all weekend! It's fantastic and lives up to the original in my opinion. The decaying post apocalyptic world is again fantastic and oozes atmosphere, and all the negative reviews are unjustified really. Yes Ellie is a gay main character but that was established in the original game and she's still a very well written character who is very human, it's not a case of waving a rainbow flag in your face.

If you loved the original then you'll like this in my opinion, it's brutally violent, shocking, atmospheric and beautiful and tugs at the heart strings in the way Naughty Dog are renowned for. It's nowhere near pandering to wokeness in the way it has been made out to be. I'm happy to eat my words from earlier in this thread.

Ireland
    Well I bit the bullet and bought the game on Saturday after sitting on the fence over it, and have played it none stop all weekend! It's fantastic and lives up to the original in my opinion. The decaying post apocalyptic world is again fantastic and oozes atmosphere, and all the negative reviews are unjustified really. Yes Ellie is a gay main character but that was established in the original game and she's still a very well written character who is very human, it's not a case of waving a rainbow flag in your face.

If you loved the original then you'll like this in my opinion, it's brutally violent, shocking, atmospheric and beautiful and tugs at the heart strings in the way Naughty Dog are renowned for. It's nowhere near pandering to wokeness in the way it has been made out to be. I'm happy to eat my words from earlier in this thread.

So, just another case of loudmouths losing their shit on YouTube over something they haven't seen, but consider "woke".

Colour me unsurprised.

As for the game, unless it comes out on a PC, I won't be playing it. There's no way I'm ponying up for a PS4, just to play a game, when that tech is already dead and the PS5 is just around the corner.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    So, just another case of loudmouths losing their shit on YouTube over something they haven't seen, but consider "woke".

Colour me unsurprised.

As for the game, unless it comes out on a PC, I won't be playing it. There's no way I'm ponying up for a PS4, just to play a game, when that tech is already dead and the PS5 is just around the corner.
    Absolutely, it would appear that a load of neck beards have got themselves worked up over it and are piling negative reviews onto Metacritic. Other reviews are complaining about the gameplay as well but it plays practically the same as the first game that everybody loved so work that out.

I've read that the PS5 is going to be backwards compatible as far back as the PS2 so if you do get one you can always play them both if you're planning on getting one.

Ireland
    Absolutely, it would appear that a load of neck beards have got themselves worked up over it and are piling negative reviews onto Metacritic. Other reviews are complaining about the gameplay as well but it plays practically the same as the first game that everybody loved so work that out.

I've read that the PS5 is going to be backwards compatible as far back as the PS2 so if you do get one you can always play them both if you're planning on getting one.
    A PS5 will be setting me back €500 Tricky. Can't really justify that at the mo.

Administrator

England
    That's good to hear. Just need these to come out on a decent platform now. ie: PC
    -Carl Sagan

England
    That's good to hear. Just need these to come out on a decent platform now. ie: PC
    Never happen I don't think, they're bound to Sony, shame though as they are excellent games in my opinion! I won't spoil the game but there have been some terrifying moments in it so far and also some that really tug on the emotions too, they're better than most films of the same genre. Maybe watch a playthrough of both on Youtube if you're interested to see what the fuss is about (preferably one without commentary as those people are irritating beyond belief)

Administrator

England
    Angry Joe gives it a 5-6 out of 10...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-sTlYUeT8o (He gave no.1 10/10)
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I completed it last night, I think I was on around 35 hours so it's a pretty big game. I thought it was excellent myself, brutal, depressing (in the way that the world 24 years post outbreak is crumbling and overgrown and many people have become savages), thought provoking and beautiful in places, and a cautionary tale of revenge that shows it's not always good vs evil and can have many unintended consequences. The first game was a masterpiece and in my opinion the sequel is just as worthy.

It was crazy to see at the weekend that the voice actress Laura Bailey who played Abby is getting a torrent of abuse from "fans" including death threats! Do these idiots not realise that it's a game and not real?! Without giving away too many spoilers her character isn't even really a baddy in the true sense and has her own understandable motivations for what she did.

Administrator

England
    It was crazy to see at the weekend that the voice actress Laura Bailey who played Abby is getting a torrent of abuse from "fans" including death threats! Do these idiots not realise that it's a game and not real?! Without giving away too many spoilers her character isn't even really a baddy in the true sense and has her own understandable motivations for what she did.
    Crazy isn't it!
    -Carl Sagan