Thread: Relatively new here!

Being Attacked

United States

Relatively new here!

I just saw a thread about some of your guys personal life and I had no idea some of us were around the ages of 50.
    This webforum is definitely a blast to the past and it's why I can't forget about this place. I really think most of y'all are awesome people. You guys and gals are really chill in here.
    I started visiting this place since the days of The walking dead's season 1 hype. I just never talked in here until I felt a burning passion to do so. I joined a bit late, and I haven't regularly checked in here since the zombie craze back in 2010 - 2014. So forgive me if I seem a bit estranged.

Seriously I appreciate this place, even if this place isn't crazy busy like the Reddit forums.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Hi and welcome! (actually, you've been around for awhile)

Yes, forums like this has slowly been surpassed by social media or imageboards like Reddit and 4chan.

I used to go to several. I still frequent the BluRay forums, but together these two are probably the only ones.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 08-May-2020 at 01:33 PM. Reason: fsdfds

Super Moderator

UK
    We may be a small community, but it is much more of a community than what you'd generally find on Reddit, Facebook etc where the sheer numbers inevitably lead to most posters feeling anonymous unless they make so many posts all the time. HPOTD is cosy and we've been here so long we've all got a good sense of each other. It has been nice to see some returning faces during lockdown as people have more time to surf - and it's also nice to have new/newer faces chiming in, too, such as yourself Daoyinyang.

We have a lot of lurkers who just like to read the posts, or the collection of fiction contributions etc ... ... kinda like they're the zombies outside the mall and our small group of posters are inside the mall.

United States
    welcome to the forums! i've seen your username a few times, you seem to be a pretty friendly person, which is a good quality to have in this modern era we live in. anyways, this place and its community are both pretty awesome, one of the few places on the internet i kinda call "home"...though i don't pop in nearly as much as i used to. my posting activity kind of comes and goes in spurts, depending on how many irons i have in the fire in my personal life.

i actually started coming here for the fiction contributions back in the early 2000's when i was still in the military and stuck at the barracks with no personal vehicle and loads of free time. zombie fiction was rather hard to come by back then...aside from the excellent "book of the dead" and its sequel, there was a severe shortage of zombie fiction a couple decades ago. i just lurked around till 2006 and then started posting, and have made quite a few good friends here, even meeting a couple of them in person at conventions and whatnot. and whenever some major event happens (like the death of mr. romero, a shitty remake of one our beloved films, epic video game release, etc) this is one of the first places i log on to discuss things with fine folks such as yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    We have a lot of lurkers who just like to read the posts, or the collection of fiction contributions etc ... ... kinda like they're the zombies outside the mall and our small group of posters are inside the mall.

can't find a clip of flyboy saying "this was an important place in their lives"....which is rather apropos. i think that bit of dialogue takes place on the roof when they first land, but i can't recall for certain....gonna have to watch dawn for the 900th time next week while i'm off work.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 09-May-2020 at 04:53 AM. Reason: this is an important place in my life

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^ at 1:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zK_44APmbY

Although you’ve been here for a while, welcome! This is indeed a great place and great group of people. Been coming here since the early 2000’s, so coming up on 20 years, and it’s still one of my main visits.

Being Attacked

United States
    haha! Thanks you guys! I appreciate the responses.
    Prof I see you all the time and I recognize Bassman as one of the original (moderator too?) users haha!
    Minion I definitely think this place is a more tight knit community and I like it in here. Now though I feel kind of too young for you guys but I have no qualms with that. Reddit and 4chan are what I used to frequent a ton more when I went to college, I kind of forgot about this place during that time (forgive me hehe).
    Prof you are awesome! I got tired of Reddit and 4Chan's toxicity so I try to be as friendly as possible. Yeah you've seen me around and I've seen you around a ton too haha!

I first visited here when I was in high school (freshman year haha!) and remember when Dead Snow got a ton of hype and The walking dead season 1 received a ton of mainstream attention. Now I've gone through high school and college, working as an accountant, my dad passed away and now I live in my hometown where my immediate family used to reside (my brother bought a bigger better home outside of california and took everyone with him.). So much has changed for me I guess and through all that I still always have this forum page on the back of my mind.

I always come here to see what's new with zombies. It seems the zombie craze has dwindled but there's nothing wrong with that. We're getting a train to busan 2, a kingdom season 3, and a brand new twd spin off (set in the future? maybe aliens?) so this place is never going to completely fade into obscurity.
    Last edited by Daoyinyang; 09-May-2020 at 10:40 AM. Reason: added more