Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Stand (TV Series) - 2020

Ireland
    ^
    I suppose they just didn't have the budget.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    ^
    I suppose they just didn't have the budget.
    Hmmm... A dark tunnel, with not much to see? Doesn't sound budget bursting?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Well the latest episode featured Las Vegas, I felt it topped the nineties adaptations depiction at least.
    I did enjoy the nineties Las Vegas scenes but there was very little material there, just a few minutes in the second and third parts, and about forty minutes of the final part.
    The rest of the episode was a boring cliche.

Ireland
    I'm 4 episodes into 'The Stand' and I still don't know whether I like it or not. I want to watch Ep 5, so that's something I suppose.

Administrator

England
    Found episode 3 was generally pretty flat IMHO. I just don't see this series working now...

And the jumping back and forwards is just contrived and clunky...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And the jumping back and forwards is just contrived and clunky...
    Agreed. This approach can alienate people who are not already familiar with either the novel or the prior series.

Administrator

England
    EP5 - Another mixed bag IMHO.

For some reason too much of it is falling flat for me, which I think is a cross between just the adaptation of it and the acting/actors. For example, this version's Lloyd (Flag's right hand man) is seemingly spineless and camp? Not a patch on Miguel Ferrer's 1994 version IMHO.

I'll soldier on... Interested to see what King's new ending is like...

ps: At least there were less time jumps...
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    It's a queer old show, isn't it? It's oddly compelling, yet completely unsatisfying.

Administrator

England
    I've spotted two King cameos so far...
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    It's a queer old show, isn't it? It's oddly compelling, yet completely unsatisfying.
    This turns out to be more and more the case. It's just not firing on all cylinders and feels very flat a lot of the time...

Basically just counting the episodes now to see what King's new (hopefully improved) ending brings...
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Don't hold your breath.

Administrator

England
    So... Episode 8...

***SPOILERS***

So we reach the end of Vegas, basically the same as the original book, but with more visual effects, cos!

And these new visual effects makes even more of a mockery of the premise. The hand of god (blob of ball lightening energy) is sitting there zapping people left right and center, and indeed even then fries Flagg.

Why didn't God just do that months earlier thus saving lots of lives and suffering?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Mmmm...

This was always the problem I had with 'The Stand'. The whole god/devil thing is just awful. The idea of Capt. Tripps and the end of the world is well done. But once that old dear appears and Flagg, it just gets too dumb.

Administrator

England
    Well, the series overall? Flat!

And the additional bolted on episode on the end? Contrived...

Overall, 6/10.
    -Carl Sagan