Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead: World Beyond

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    How is modern entertainment so easy to fuck up?

I mean zombie shows...what's so bloody hard about making a zombie show?
    Another thing with World Beyond is, yet again, focusing on civilian characters. We've had that in both the original show (good) and FearTWD (mostly repeating stuff from TWD), so to have a third show focusing on civvies - and teenagers, to boot! - takes the piss. FearTWD missed a golden opportunity to show the country collapsing from inside government, public services, and law enforcement, and now World Beyond is just doing the same old stuff - but much worse - seeing as it's having to service certain specific requirements.

Ireland
    Well, I spose FTWD just crapped out because of its limited budget. Showing a full on zombie war would cost a pretty penny I reckon.

But, yeh, I'd like to see something in TWD universe that, say, deals with a squad. Perhaps they deserted when the shit hit the fan and then have to survive on the road in the early stages. That might be a good angle for at least a series or two and we can move away from the civilians and their "drama".

This teenage walking dead thing is only running for a limited time, so maybe there will be others that can do that as well.

It seems to me that the producers are just locked into a holding pattern with TWD and are content to just churn out the thing with different faces.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Meanwhile, FTWD 6x1 was pretty damn good.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

United States
    I lost track of FTWD in the middle of season 3. I don't know if I will ever return and get caught up with it either.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    WTF was up with Morgan's eyes, though? He looked like Christopher Lee's Dracula when he is in full vampire mode:

Attached Images

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    WTF was up with Morgan's eyes, though? He looked like Christopher Lee's Dracula when he is in full vampire mode:

I agree. A bit much lol.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Hmmm ... I've got it, but haven't seen it yet (I'm doing a re-watch of TWD season 9, so my walker attention is pointed that-a-way) ... hopefully season 6 will be better than all that 'painting trees' bullshit from season five.

Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I lost track of FTWD in the middle of season 3. I don't know if I will ever return and get caught up with it either.
    I was on the brink of packing it in with season 3, but kept on as season 4 saw a new showrunner take over - and the first episode of season four was excellent, and the season introduced a couple of new characters I actually quite like, but inevitably it started running out of steam or suffered from too much filler (and the weirdo villain in the back half just annoyed the hell outta me). Season 5 had some good ideas, but waaaaay too much filler - and, amazingly, despite having an episode set in a mall during the zombie apocalypse, they managed to fuck up pretty much every opportunity to homage Dawn of the Dead, which irked me, haha.

FearTWD has always suffered from this or that along the way. The original intention was swept aside post haste in season 2, which wallowed in plotlines we'd already seen done far better on TWD, and then season 3 was all over the shop. Season 4 felt like rats leaving a sinking ship to some degree while also introducing some cool new stuff and a jump in quality, but season 5 squandered a lot of that quality jump. And cool ideas worthy of much deeper exploration (e.g. the woman going around as part of a team who were attempting to decommission nuclear reactors before they melted down) were kinda half-done while we went off painting trees with feckin' Alicia and her idiotic 'broken gun barrel' weapon.

Anyway - I'll start a thread for FearTWD's sixth season now and folks can talk about it there...
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-Oct-2020 at 05:15 PM.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Hmmm ... I've got it, but haven't seen it yet (I'm doing a re-watch of TWD season 9, so my walker attention is pointed that-a-way) ... hopefully season 6 will be better than all that 'painting trees' bullshit from season five.
    Yeh, S05 lost me again. Such a strange, inconsistent, show.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh, S05 lost me again. Such a strange, inconsistent, show.
    Yep. Absolutely all over the place, which is a real shame. Way too much filler, as well, and certain characters getting too melodramatic in a kind of cringe way.

But then FearTWD can do something awesome, or have a really interesting character, and your interest is held on to ... then it'll do something really stupid. Remember the guy who jumped off the top of a building (a hospital IIRC), crash landed on a car (to create a distraction - which drew away walkers who could still very much see their lunch right in front of them all moving about and not attempting to hide at all) ... and then later that very same person came back as a zombie and got up and walked about, even though such a fall would shatter every bone in their body. A bit of a limp seemed to be the only injury!

Ireland
    Watched the first two of this. Don't know what to make of it yet. There's a little too much teen angst going on, but I'll say that I'm sort of ok with the "journey" aspect of the show so far?

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    What is it with TWD and it’s spin-offs that make the audience want to see it’s teenage characters die horrible deaths? ��

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    The only thing I’m going to say about this particular episode is as soon as what’s-his-name gave what’s-her-name the paint brushes my wife and I both, in almost perfect unison cried out “No more painting trees!”

I’m convinced the producers and the network knew they had a pile of shit on their hands so they shoehorned in the civic republic stuff because they that’s the big mystery fans of TWD and FTWD want solved and it was the only way they could keep people watching. Worse yet, they sprinkle it in little snippets as end caps to each episode. My wife and I have decided to skim the episodes on fast forward and just pay attention to the parts concerning the CR.
    Last edited by Suicycho; 27-Oct-2020 at 04:11 PM. Reason: To add more comments.

Fresh Meat

United States
    I once made a zombie cartoon and it was VERY difficult to do, with more than 5,000 seperate images!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI9...Dfe7wV3L-lsf1Q

Ireland
    Jesus, this is a bleedin struggle. The writing is absolute pants and the characters are just shit. Plus, the amount of talking...fuckin ell. Just constant, endless, yap, about overwrought shite. Everyone whining about the feelings and crap they had to do years before. My god, if I was with this group, I'd want to shoot myself.

The ONLY thing I want to find it about is what these New Republic arseholes are up to. Thank christ this is a limited run thing.

'The Walking and Talking Dead The Teen Angst Beyond'.

Super Moderator

UK
    I managed two episodes, and even in the second I was having to skip forward in little increments because the teen characters just got more and more infuriating. Even the 'smartest' one of the group just goes along with idiotic decisions, or acts in idiotic ways. The whole 'talk loudly in a lit-up tree house amidst an entirely dark suburb while rolling a balling ball around' just did it for me ... I packed it in and took it off the watch list. Even the structure of the episodes, irked me, and some of the flashbacks as so forced and filled with on-the-nose dialogue ... I just couldn't be doing with it. I'd hoped it would have been better, there's some good material and ideas in there, but blimey ... the duff stuff just really ruins the whole deal.

Even with it's various recurring issues, FearTWD absolutely pummels World Beyond.

With so much else to watch, and not enjoying World Beyond, I wasn't gonna stick with it.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Nov-2020 at 04:29 PM.