Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead: World Beyond

Administrator

England

The Walking Dead: World Beyond

The Walking Dead: World Beyond premieres on Sunday, October 4th immediately following The Walking Dead Season 10 Finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dYLHWjJxbI
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    The Walking Teenagers.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The Walking Teenagers.
    I was going to say The Walking Dead: Millennial Edition

It looks kinda dull from the promos.

Super Moderator

UK
    "A Two Season Limited Event" ... now this is new to me. So are they just doing two seasons and that's it? *goes to Wiki* ...

The series will consist of two 10-episode seasons before concluding.
    Perhaps this jives with the suggestion that TWD will end with its 12th season. Part of the point of World Beyond seems to be this 'three circle' crowd, and I'd imagine they're gonna try some sort of 'tie them all together with the Rick movie(s)' thing, which would make the most sense from a creative stand point.

The main concern with this show is having protagonists who are so young - teenagers don't exactly say "gravitas" or high quality acting (they're only very early in their careers, or perhaps brand new) - and as we've seen so often, teenagers are usually written so poorly. Either they're being idiots ignoring every sensible piece of advice they're given, or they're a bunch of whiny, screechy, self-involved nuisances getting under everyone's feet.

I'd hope this show doesn't write them that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of that nonetheless.

Looks like the most interesting thing would be the realisation of the world ten years deep into the ZA, plus some cool walkers and so on (bee hive zombie) ... but you look at those high schoolers venturing out into the zombie apocalypse, having spent their entire lives (IIRC) behind a safe wall, and you just can't see them being able to survive any time at all (realistically) in the harsh world of the ZA.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Aug-2020 at 10:18 AM.

United States
    I don’t mind this cause it’s written as an event with a proper ending to build towards to. With that being said, the teen element is kinda off putting.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I don’t mind this cause it’s written as an event with a proper ending to build towards to. With that being said, the teen element is kinda off putting.
    Oh yeah, I don't mind that it'll be two 10 ep seasons at all - in fact that's a good thing - but it also needs to be 20 good episodes. FearTWD has consistently been, well, inconsistent to a considerable degree. Season 4 got off to a really good start, but then just dropped way down and squandered an awful lot of potential, and then continued on in that similar vein for all of season five unfortunately.

I'd really like World Beyond to be good, but yeah, a bunch of teens running around as the leads? It's not all that enticing.

I mean, sure, the idea of having the perspective of someone who has known nothing else but the ZA does sound like it has some good potential in it, but still ... ... teens, far more often than not, are not well written in TV and movies and just come off as annoying idiots who do blindingly stupid things as a matter of routine. I'd hope that World Beyond bucks that trend, but I'm not holding my breath TBH.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    It looks kinda dull from the promos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    the teen element is kinda off putting.
    Can't say that it's filling me with any kind of enthusiasm either.

The teen drama angle is very curious choice though. It's kinda perplexing that someone thought that that might be a good idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    FearTWD has consistently been, well, inconsistent to a considerable degree. Season 4 got off to a really good start, but then just dropped way down and squandered an awful lot of potential, and then continued on in that similar vein for all of season five unfortunately.
    Covid boredom has brought me back to FTWD and I'm in the middle of S5. It's up and down alright, but at least it's not just shite like previous seasons (well 1 to 3 {although 3 was ok}). It's problem has always been that it's just a poor spin off that had and still has nowhere to go.

I think what I'd like to see from the Walking Dead universe now would be the view of a lone survivor, wandering from situation to situation and things are largely contained to their point of view. This would eliminate the major issue that TWD has, in that it litters its landscape with boring, insipid, characters that are just annoying in the main. People like Magna and Yumiko are just bloody awful. But there's so many NPCs in the show now that they just steal oxygen from what's left of the interesting people, of which there are many.

Great Britain
    I liked the look of the Bees Zombie, but my mind went straight here lol

Err this series is going to after be a wait and see for me, the trailer wasn't all that interesting, Also The Walking Teenagers made me laugh.

Super Moderator

UK
    Figured we might as well discuss the show here.

I saw episode one was on Amazon Prime earlier, so gave it a spin ... some thoughts:

There's a few details I quite like, e.g.

The idea of spraying walkers blue to study migration patterns.

But the teen characters ... ... they weren't overtly 'ugh', but I didn't get drawn to them at all. This first episode felt too much like it was trying to force profundity (and too quickly at that). So often, with teen characters, when they try to sound earnest they just come across as cringe.

There was also some iffy coincidences, e.g.

No sooner have they left, it seems, than they've come across the overgrown wreckage of the plane that crashed - aboard which were the two sisters who look absolutely nothing alike in the slightest way - and then, oh look, the nerdy weird kid in the dreadful corduroy 'suit' is the son of the pregnant woman who was killed by one of the sisters.

As an aside - it was nice to see vehicles again, though, and even some dated tech getting used.

Super Moderator

UK
    Gave the second episode a go ... ... ugh.

SPOILERS AHEAD...

Yet again we have teenage characters in a TV show/movie acting like total morons, wilfully making stupid decisions (even acknowledging how stupid said decisions are before doing them anyway!!!) -

and despite being the 'smart one', who has been educated in the anatomy of walkers and how to kill them, she does everything wrong upon encountering her first walker and then, again quite stupidly, she refuses any help from her three friends (who, also quite stupidly, listen to her and hang back!) - the 'smart' one then acts all smug, despite nearly getting herself killed, attempts to kill the walker with her 'improved weapon' (a perfectly functional weapon custom-designed for distance killing walkers, but with, for no good reason, a feckin' fossil - seriously - tied to the end of it), but vomits all over it instead ... ... then just leaves it there! Still acting all smug and confident despite utterly failing to do anything correctly. Later in the episode she even goes on about 'having to kill one eventually' - despite NOT killing said walker.

Felix is a character I like, but good gravy, his backstory was so forced in this one. Indeed, the constant flitting back and forth to very brief flashback fragments gets kinda annoying and sort of disorienting. It was all the more cringey when Felix's backstory was boiled down to not much more than his sexual identity, which was handled in the most ham-fisted manner with on-the-nose dialogue and blunt force delivery by all involved. All crammed into a single scene while the opening credits are still going!

There's a few more snippets later when, conveniently enough, his family home is nearby - but does he confront his parents or what? We just cut back to the main timeline and that's it? We didn't even see him go into the house.

Later in the episode we see more instances of "The Endlings" - as they name themselves (cringe overload) -

hold up in a tree house, but not only do they light every candle in the places - creating an obvious amount of light in an otherwise pitch black neighbourhood - but they also talk quite loudly and even roll a bowling ball about the place, yelling out "Big Mo!" ... ... speaking of which, why would you bother to pick up a bowling ball and carry it with you at all when you're making a cross-country trek? The piss-weakest of piss-weak excuses to drop a bowling ball on a walker's head.

I thought FearTWD had it's fair share of problems, but World Beyond is taking the biscuit ... the second episode got so cringey and stupid that I just had to start skipping forward here and there, and it kept getting worse.

I wanted World Beyond to be a good show, but blimey, if this episode is indicative of how it intends to proceed, then no thanks...

Administrator

England
    Oh dear...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Milking the zombie cow. To the last drop.

United States
    I haven't watched the first episode (or last week's TWD) that I recorded yet. I'll watch TWD, but maybe I won't bother with TWD: Millennial Edition. I had a feeling it would take terrible to a new level.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope, not watching this shit. After being underwhelmed with TWD's finale, I got less than two minutes into last weeks episode before I got annoyed, and shut it off. Just because they keep pumping crap out, doesn't automatically mean I am going to keep watching. I'm not watching Talking Dead, where they just sit around blowing each other about how "awesome" the episode was anymore, either. Sorry, AMC.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 12-Oct-2020 at 03:44 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Oh dear...

Ireland
    How is modern entertainment so easy to fuck up?

I mean zombie shows...what's so bloody hard about making a zombie show?