Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWD will end with an extended Season 11

United States

TWD will end with an extended Season 11

And then they are going to bring out a Carol & Daryl spin-off.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/wal...mc-1234762220/

They're really getting ridiculous with all the spin-offs and other nonsense. FTWD was bad enough. TWD: Millennial Edition looks like a huge snooze fest.

If Gimple hadn't fucked the show up in the first place with his artsy fartsy BS, bad pacing, and dumb decisions like killing off Carl, it would never have gone down the shitter for several seasons, and would probably still be going strong without the need for all the added spin-offs, movies, etc.

Oh well. It is what it is.

Administrator

England
    Hmmm... Risks just watering it all down doesn't it...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    It's obvious that the producers want to milk the "zombie cow" until it has died up completely. They want to squeeze every buck possible out of this series.

United States
    I’m content about it. Back in 2010 I never imagined it would have had the amount success it has had. It truly became a juggernaut.

I can do without the Daryl and Carol spinoffs though.

What a run.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    Daryl and Carol spin off? WTF?

That has all the hallmarks of 'Joanie loves Chachi" about it.

I guess the flagship series has just run out of steam, and has been fatally holed by Andrew Lincoln leaving the show. The producers are looking around for anything remotely buoyant to keep things afloat.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, they're also generally running out of story content from the comics now anyway, as they're not that far off the ending.

I'd kind of not be surprised if they later announce that FearTWD will also come to a conclusion in conjunction with all this 'three circles' helicopters stuff, which is tying the current three shows together.

I'm totally open to a Daryl/Carol show ... although part of me would want them to just go on as characters in my mind once the main show ends, if that makes sense? I think the idea of an episodic sort of show, possibly bringing back some familiar faces to tell other (earlier) stories with them could be a really nifty idea if done right.

After Gimple stuck around as showrunner a bit too long (or did some of the same mistakes for too long without properly rectifying them/understanding what the issue was - e.g. pacing), Kang has been doing a really good job freshening it up. It could still do to be a few episodes shorter, mind. In this day and age having a season running anything longer than 10-13 episodes just seems unnecessary.

England
    The phrase "Flogging a dead horse" springs to mind... I look forward to seeing whatever they come up with, though.

I've recently started watching TWD from the beginning again & that first series was superb.

Cheers
    Ivor

United States
    Season 1 was as good as or better than some of the best zombie movies out there. It's a shame that they couldn't keep that kind of quality through the whole series.

Rising

United States
    The first few seasons of the show were the best. Darabont was doing very well, but then was pretty much forced to leave during season 2. Go figure. His immediate successors did pretty well, though.

United States
    Its time. I have always maintained that this show has been the best tv show in the history of my lifetime. My God that first Halloween night anticipation was intense. So many rumors about what it may be like. Then the camera pans up and away from the tank and feeding frenzy, and I was in absolute bliss. Seasons 1-5 were epic. I was so immersed in the story and characters, and ofcourse the after action dialogue on here. I really dont have a need for a Carol and Daryl spinoff. I love both characters. Hopefully that doesnt make it to fruition but I will gladly take both of them surviving the show. Some originals have to make it.

But what this show has to do as it ends or prior. Rick Grimes needs to be reunited with Michonne, Daryl, Carol and his kids. I need it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Some originals have to make it.

But what this show has to do as it ends or prior. Rick Grimes needs to be reunited with Michonne, Daryl, Carol and his kids. I need it.
    1) Absolutely. I think, considering how many we've lost, making it out with Carol, Daryl, and Rick would be quite good. Mind you...
    Comics Spoilers:

If they take an element from the comics' last couple of issues, transposing Carl for Judith, I hope they do a better job of it than the comics did, which kind of felt underwhelming and frustrating. I know what Kirkman was going for, but the execution wasn't great and I think by that point the readers/audience deserve something better. I think, now that Carl isn't on the show, doing what they did in those last couple of issues won't work as well without him ... you need that element of pre-ZA continuity for that to work best.

2) Also agreed. We need to wrap the show up with everything coming together - I want to see that group back together again. After all the shit these characters have been through, you want something that makes it all worthwhile for them, you know? It doesn't mean TWD has to end all happy clappy roses and kittens, but ultimately it needs to leave audiences feeling good about the whole thing.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I have always maintained that this show has been the best tv show in the history of my lifetime.
    Best show of it's kind? Probably. Best TV show in general? Hell no.

Super Moderator

UK
    Reedus has said that the 24 episode long Season 11 will be filmed as one big chunk of episodes (but still be shown over two years, kind of like two separate seasons). So I reckon we should probably see more variety in seasons changing this time around as a result.

They're also currently filming new episodes right now, although he used the term "mini episodes" ... I don't know if he means that literally, or if he really meant like a 'mini season' that will be 'tacked on' to the end of the original Season 10.

United States
    I really like that they are writing towards the endgame now. Was getting worried they were gonna just spin their wheels for numerous more seasons.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I really like that they are writing towards the endgame now. Was getting worried they were gonna just spin their wheels for numerous more seasons.
    I never believed that the main show would go beyond the comic book material. A spin-off, sure, but the main show? Nah, never thought they'd just go entirely rogue and drag it on and on and on - it's just not do-able. All shows need to come to an end at some point.

But, yeah, with a specified number of episodes now in mind it should, hopefully, really sharpen the minds of the writers and Angela Kang (although, no doubt, they'd had this in mind for a while now - remember those rumours of TWD ending with it's 12th season, which were never officially commented on?) ... they should have a good amount of material to work with and, hopefully, not need to stretch anything out too much.