Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead: Season 6...

Super Moderator

UK
    I did like the cameraderie between Al and Dwight - the driving license thing, for example ... although I'm sure I've seen that in a zombie movie/show before (with vehicle license plates IIRC). Wait, wasn't it on TWD with Aaron and his fella? I'm pretty sure it was! Collecting the 50 states.

I never really got into the whole thing of Al recording people's stories, like, her getting so adamant about it at times like it was this great masterwork that was really saving people's lives or something ... ... sometimes you just think "Al, dude, just chill out with the DVX100 pointing in everyone's face, okay? There's zombies over there, yeah?"

Anyway - three episodes in, and while FearTWD has never been a better show than TWD (although some individual episodes have certainly beaten certain individual episodes of TWD), it's been a solid enough run thus far. It definitely shows up World Beyond as a right old mess. I couldn't get through more than 2 episodes of that. Far too much else to watch that's way better than World Beyond, to be brutally honest.

Super Moderator

UK
    Did anyone spot the Day of the Dead shovel kill reference in 6x04?

Every time I've seen a shovel in either of these shows I wonder if they're gonna do it, and now they finally have.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Did anyone spot the Day of the Dead shovel kill reference in 6x04?

Every time I've seen a shovel in either of these shows I wonder if they're gonna do it, and now they finally have.
    Lol yeah I was expecting John to flick the shovel. That was awesome.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Episode 2 was fine, had some good character moments for my boy Strand. I thought the ending was awesome. Daniel got me lol.
    Episode 2 just had too many stupid choices for me. eg:-
    1) When dealing with the room of zombies, why lift the door all the way up? Why not just 2ft up and make the zombies come through slowly? Or raise for 5 seconds, let some through, then lower... Or why not block half of the doorway to slow them down?
    2) When the zombies started falling over and couldn't come forwards, rather than faffing about waiting for problems, just go down the "cattle queue" safetly and easily stabbing as many zombies in the head through the bars as possble, You'd get 80% of them!
    3) People walking around with their backs to loose hordes of zombies, only then to be bitten? They may as well be in Star Trek red tops!
    4) Sanjay can't hop on one leg to stay alive? I know I could...

Enjoyed it, but the poor contrived writing bugs me.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Episode 2 just had too many stupid choices for me. eg:-
    1) When dealing with the room of zombies, why lift the door all the way up? Why not just 2ft up and make the zombies come through slowly? Or raise for 5 seconds, let some through, then lower... Or why not block half of the doorway to slow them down?
    2) When the zombies started falling over and couldn't come forwards, rather than faffing about waiting for problems, just go down the "cattle queue" safetly and easily stabbing as many zombies in the head through the bars as possble, You'd get 80% of them!
    3) People walking around with their backs to loose hordes of zombies, only then to be bitten? They may as well be in Star Trek red tops!
    4) Sanjay can't hop on one leg to stay alive? I know I could...

Enjoyed it, but the poor contrived writing bugs me.
    I agree with all your points. Good ideas but poorly thought out in execution.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, those sort of things irk me, too. There needs to be more common sense applied to the scenarios they're writing. If you need something to happen, fine, but make it so that it comes as a surprise to the characters because they did everything in their power to avoid disaster and approached situations with logic, but that fate worked against them, not because of some silly oversight or 'oh fuck it' bit of writing.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by minionzombie View Post
    or 'oh fuck it' bit of writing.
    lol!!

Oh! And I forgot the two ladies on full auto mowing down a dozen zombies with perfect head shots by simply sweeping quickly left and right
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Well, season 6b is underway, and...

*sigh*

This fucking show.

Gone and killed off my favourite character in some bitch-ass incident at the hands of a sudden arsehole I don't care about.

This show haemorrhages cast members like nobody's business.

Great performance from Dillahunt and some well played moments - such as him getting washed up on the shore outside his cabin, or gunning down those walkers at the general store ... but fuck sake. The kick arse zombie gunslinger is dunzo because of the whiny little sister of an equally irritating nutjob.

Ireland
    Fuck...

...ing...

...hell...

What is it with this show? Just when I am coming around to it, and even thinking that it's getting more entertaining than 'The Walking Dead', it pulls these doped up moves.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    and even thinking that it's getting more entertaining than 'The Walking Dead'
    I will never understand that train of thought ever.

Apparently the actor wanted out a while ago. This show simply cannot retain its cast, so they're always having to write people out. What is it? Someone running it making for a shitty environment? The material? The general vibe and downwards trajectory?

It's still stunning that Alicia of all characters is the one who remained from the original family. Strand and Daniel - obviously, they're intriguing characters (Daniel especially, Ruben Blades absolutely kills it every time he's on screen), but Alicia? Christ on a bike, she's dull as ditchwater and such a fucking drag - that whole 'painting trees' bullshit from a while back? Fuck right off.

And what is it with some of these villains, just resorting to the whip an the bullet at the drop of a hat and never learning that that shit don't work in the long run. Same old shit over and over again. They rarely ever have a decent reason on this show to act the way they do. The coolest characters are either written out quick or have to be written out 'cos the actor's shit-canning the show.

My favourite character - one who I'd have strongly welcomed on the main show - and nope, gone.

Even considering how patchy FearTWD is, it still shits all over World Beyond from a great, great, great height. I was shocked at how bad TWD:WB was. I couldn't stomach more than two episodes. Just dreadful.

United States
    Great episode but not a fan at all on how **** went out. Nothing else to say, I’m mad af.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 12-Apr-2021 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Edit

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I will never understand that train of thought ever.
    'The Walking Dead' is just dull now. I just couldn't care less about anyone on the show. Even Carol is boring the fuck out of me. It really died when Lincoln left and that whisperers stuff was just a load of bollocks. I haven't even bothered finishing out the last few episodes and I'm in no real hurry. The whole Negan thing is just bloody absurd too. There's no way a guy like that would be let live after what he's done to the characters we know. Psychopathic creep baseball batting people's heads in? Stupid nonsense.

That being said, I don''t think 'Fear the Walking Dead' is any "better" as it were. I just found it more entertaining over the last while. Plus, it actually had people in it worth watching, like Dilahunt and Elfmann's characters. Morgan is there too.

Agree on Alicia. Pretty to look at, but my god and absolute snore.

At present, neither show is one that I am eager to see each week.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    I limped on to the end of the season (I ended up playing the episodes on my computer sped up to 1.57x to better crank through them ) ... again, far too much 'meh' stuff going on, too much filler, another generic bad guy, another annoying idiot character ... but at least the season finale had some cool stuff...

The nuclear warheads dropping. Great to see feckin' Dakota get nuked, haha!

Otherwise the show continues to feel like a bit of a mess. It's never had solid ground beneath its feet with constantly shifting directions and losing cast members like nobody's business. The whole purpose of the show was dispensed with at the end of season one, and just having yet another group of civilians made it all rather pointless on another layer as TWD already had that covered. They had a chance to do something different with it, but in the end they just did 'the same but worse'.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 15-Jun-2021 at 09:52 AM.

Administrator

England
    I actually gave up on it
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I actually gave up on it
    I was struggling to keep going, but it's kind of that "I've watched them all this far, so I don't wanna waste that time" sorta deal (if that makes sense). There's usually something in there somewhere that I can enjoy, but boy-oh-boy was I struggling with the back-half of this season. I had the episodes kicking around for two or three weeks before getting to them (and, as said previously, actually watching them sped-up just to crank through!)