Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost my cat Mina today

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    We have some coyotes in this area, too. I think it is pretty much open season on killing them. Before he died, my Dad saw one in the back yard through his bedroom window. He opened the window, poked the shotgun out, and took it down. I haven't seen any, but would not hesitate to do the same. I do hear them at night sometimes.
    Once they stake a claim to a territory, they become a pest. They will hunt down just about every living thing they feed on until they deplete the area, then move on to greener pastures. They are dangerous as well, and not only to cats and dogs, they have been known to even attack people sometimes. The set of choppers on the one I killed today is enough to make you want to keep a cautious distance from them, and not to lay your hands on them until you are certain that they are dead.
    Last edited by JDP; 10-Nov-2020 at 12:35 AM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Good job! Nice shot.
    Of course, never happy to see a life go. But don't hate the player, hate the game... And he was playing it.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Good job! Nice shot.
    Of course, never happy to see a life go. But don't hate the player, hate the game... And he was playing it.
    Under normal circumstances, I certainly do not go out of my way to hunt and kill anything, coyotes included. But these ones have been "playing it", as you say.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Really sorry for your loss, but dang man....you’re a beast!

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Really sorry for your loss, but dang man....you’re a beast!
    Thanks. But trust me, if a coyote or wolf killed your cat or dog, and to add insult to injury the son of a bitch stuck around the area continuing this routine (meaning that if you have more cats or dogs they might also be the next in line), you wouldn't take it lightly either. Damn thing had to be stopped. He paid a heavy price for what he did. I am quite sure that I did an immense favor to all the cats & dogs around here. My only regret is not to have done it earlier (I had no idea that this a-hole was around this area and making the neighborhood's cats & dogs his daily "dinner", otherwise I would have exterminated him sooner. Mina most likely would still be alive if that bastard was not prowling around when she accidentally found her way out to the bayou )

And the hunt for his "buddy" continues... He better not come back to this area ever again, if he knows what's good for him. I have a 20 inch broadhead crossbow bolt with his name on it

Attached Images

Administrator

England
    Jesus! That's looks terrifying!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Jesus! That's looks terrifying!
    To quote the late great Charles Bronson in Death Wish 3: "It makes a real mess!" (of your innards)

If someone or something gets hit with those broadheads shot from a 150lb draw weight crossbow, he/she ain't going to be getting up again, even if he/she somehow manages to survive for a while. Guaranteed.

Administrator

England
    The barbs/blades almost look like they're sprung loaded so can push down a bit into the head for penetration, and then spread out to lodge in the target? But they are fixed in position aren't they?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    The barbs/blades almost look like they're sprung loaded so can push down a bit into the head for penetration, and then spread out to lodge in the target? But they are fixed in position aren't they?
    Yes, they are fixed. But there are other broadheads that do perform like you describe

The blades on the back are designed to open after the target has been penetrated.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp View Post
    yes, they are fixed. But there are other broadheads that do perform like you describe

the blades on the back are designed to open after the target has been penetrated.
    omg!!
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    omg!!
    Yes, wicked!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Whatever happened to the second coyote?

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Whatever happened to the second coyote?
    I've seen him a few times prowling around, but the clever mofo eluded me. As soon as he spotted me, semi-hidden behind fences or vegetation waiting for him to get close enough, he would not come anywhere near within range of the crossbow. I have even been trying an electric decoy that imitates the motions of a cat, this one:

In order to lure him in within range, but he would not bite the bait. But I will nail him down. It's only a matter of time. One day he will be hungry enough that he will toss caution out the window and get close enough to the food and/or decoy I leave for him.

Rising

United States
    Spent the late night and early morning hours stalking the bayou, crossbow loaded and ready, but no signs of the SOB. Maybe he's moved on to another area by now, or someone else shot him down, or he got hit by a car (in order to get to this area from the nearby wilderness they dwell in, coyotes have to cross several transited roads.) I will keep the infrared surveillance cameras on, just in case he (or another one) comes back.