Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Second Sight Dawn of the Dead 4k Ultra HD Limited Edition Set

Super Moderator

UK
    Mine's on-the-way, hooray!

Gonna try and watch it tonight and check out the sexy new restoration.

Does Xbox play UHD discs? I thought it was just a normal Blu-Ray player drive in there? Or is that the brand new Xbox that does it?

**edit**

It's arrived, huzah! Turned up literally just after I posted the above.

This thing's a beast, a proper door stopper of a thing. You could bash a zombie's head in with it.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Nov-2020 at 10:14 AM.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Mine's on-the-way, hooray!

Gonna try and watch it tonight and check out the sexy new restoration.

Does Xbox play UHD discs? I thought it was just a normal Blu-Ray player drive in there? Or is that the brand new Xbox?
    I had a one x which was a mid generation upgrade and that was UHD.
    The new series x is as well
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by kidgloves View Post
    I had a one x which was a mid generation upgrade and that was UHD.
    The new series x is as well
    Do you mean the Xbox One S (came out about 2016 IIRC)? That's the one I've got (the better and considerably less bulky version of the console).

England
    Do you mean the Xbox One S (came out about 2016 IIRC)? That's the one I've got (the better and considerably less bulky version of the console).
    No MS released an upgraded console called the Xbox one x a few years back. Its nearly 5x more powerful than the Xbox one. Real 4k and ran some games at 60fps
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Super Moderator

UK
    Watched the Cannes Cut last night on the new Blu-Ray set - film looked gorgeous.

They've done a nice job of cleaning the film up while retaining the original film grain, yet also making it look spanking new. There were numerous shots that were clearer with more depth and detail, so certain details that were once lost in murk or total darkness are now revealed. Just little details. And the clarity helps you see further into the shots (e.g. backgrounds), but also in terms of the notes written at the airport, or what Stephen types on the typewriter (seems to be "Now is the time").

The film looked beautiful and I was reminded all over again why it's my favourite of the Romero zombie films. While Day of the Dead is the better made film, and one that has aged more gracefully, Dawn always captures my heart. Watching it again reminded me of all these years here on HPOTD talking about zombie movies, talking about Dawn, about how you'd better block the doors or that doorway they covered with a fake wall etc.

Gonna dive into the new extras later on. Looking forward to that!

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Hello, got mine monday and watched the theatrical cut last night. Interestingly I have the Anchor bay anniversary edition dvd from 1999 (i think) and the music at the start of the film is much louder than the new blu-ray. I actually thought it was a completely different score but it seems like it is just 'quieter' at the start

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by steders View Post
    Hello, got mine monday and watched the theatrical cut last night. Interestingly I have the Anchor bay anniversary edition dvd from 1999 (i think) and the music at the start of the film is much louder than the new blu-ray. I actually thought it was a completely different score but it seems like it is just 'quieter' at the start
    Interesting, must be a mix thing.

Super Moderator

UK
    Does anyone else, whenever they watch the movie, keep hoping that Roger will chill the fuck out and not get bit, or that Stephen will survive this time around? I always get so invested in our quartet that when the inevitable happens I'm always hoping it had gone a different way for them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Does anyone else, whenever they watch the movie, keep hoping that Roger will chill the fuck out and not get bit, or that Stephen will survive this time around? I always get so invested in our quartet that when the inevitable happens I'm always hoping it had gone a different way for them.
    Haha, for sure. I totally relate. I keep hoping for Roger to calm the fuck down and for Stephen to just act rationally. Every single time...

United States
    Word, dude

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So are the scenes in the extended cut more seamless this time around? If I remember correctly, the old Ultimate Edition always bothered me because there was an obvious drop in quality going from theatrical scenes to the extended cut scenes.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    So are the scenes in the extended cut more seamless this time around? If I remember correctly, the old Ultimate Edition always bothered me because there was an obvious drop in quality going from theatrical scenes to the extended cut scenes.
    Interesting ... I don't really recall that myself with the same copy.

Anyway - the extended scenes do come from a different source than the footage from the theatrical cut, but I didn't really notice any major differences or anything. All felt pretty seamless unless you would be really hunting for it ... then again, I'm fuzzy on what was the difference between theatrical and extended cuts for the most part, just off the top of my head, as the extended cut has always been the version I've gone to as it was my first experience of Dawn. It was years before I saw any other version.

Speaking of versions - the 8mm 'digest' version is a really interesting watch. It's about 45 minutes long!

Ireland
    Interesting ... I don't really recall that myself with the same copy.

Me neither, I have to say.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I never noticed that with the Ultimate Edition, but then again, I still watch an older TV.

The Extended Mall Hours fan edit has some obvious quality differences, mainly from scenes from the Argento cut being not as good.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Got the bluray today and popped in the Argento-cut. First time for me, never seen it before.

It's definetly one of my favorite films of all time. The first half hour is brilliant and few things I've seen really come close to depicting all the nuances, depression and panic of societal collapse in such a down-to-earth manner. Maybe Threads or something like that. But the apocalypse in this film is really one I've found so very horrifying from the very first time I saw it (as a teenager). The dead coming back to life. All of them. Zombies, man. They creep me out.

Romero is also one of my favorite filmmakers. I really do think he is an excellent director and writer. His characters are always well rounded and play very realistically. The reactions always seem like they're coming from the character and not some forced screenwriter who's setting up a scene and moving the plot along. Really a great writer / director. And I appreciate pretty much all his work, not just the zombie schtick.

Equally, I'm a fan of Romero. He's all the things that Romero isn't, and vice versa. Argento is style and doesn't really care about characters or script. His ability to edit and bring out suspense is second to none. Unlike Romero, Argento is very stylized. Not grounded in reality, but much more interested in the heightened sense of the fantastic. While I do miss some of the scenes that are missing in the Argento cut, overall I feel the action and suspense scenes are much better edited in this than in the Theatrical version. He doesn't linger on shots but moves on to the next and his sense of direction has always been impeccable. As it is here.

Is it my preferred version? Probably not. After all - I want Romero to go all out Romero, and that's what the Theatrical version is. But out of the three (or four?) this is probably my second favorite. I prefer it over the Cannes cut which I feel drags. I've also never been a fan of the library music, so I'm glad to see it gone in this version. But it does lose a bit of Romero's affinity for character study.