Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So the Dawn of the Dead "Complete Cut" (ie: XT Video's version) - 155 minutes

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I have the Dawn of the Dead "Extended Mall Hours" cut that runs at ~155 minutes. Personally, I like all the added / combined footage.

I have the Ultimate Edition DVD set, too. I've watched the Director's Cut the most. I watched the Italian cut at least once, but am not a fan. Too much important stuff missing, and the soundtrack was weird and annoying from what I remember. I don't think I've watched the Theatrical Version since I had it on VHS.
    Yeah ... not a fan of the Argento Cut, either ... it just misses so many marks, removes any depth, and shoves in too much Goblin in a typically jarring Italian manner (they weren't known for delicate music editing). It's a curio that I have watched (twice - but once with commentary), but it's a decidedly inferior version of the film.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I have the Dawn of the Dead "Extended Mall Hours" cut that runs at ~155 minutes. Personally, I like all the added / combined footage.

I have the Ultimate Edition DVD set, too. I've watched the Director's Cut the most. I watched the Italian cut at least once, but am not a fan. Too much important stuff missing, and the soundtrack was weird and annoying from what I remember. I don't think I've watched the Theatrical Version since I had it on VHS.
    So the Mall Hours version must be much the same as this "Complete Cut" then...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Personally I've never seen the Argento-cut. I just never got around to it. My old VHS was the Theatrical cut and when I bought the DVD it had the Cannes Cut and Argento cut (but not the theatrical one!). Just never popped it in. Actually kinda looking forward to it this time around.

Oh and I'm in Team-Goblin camp. I think the library music used in Dawn is only to its detriment.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Oh and I'm in Team-Goblin camp. I think the library music used in Dawn is only to its detriment.
    You're quite mad.

I think the library stuff works wonderfully in Romero's edits, he had a good ear for picking the right piece for the right moment, as well as juxtaposing those pieces of music. I've just listened to both CDs of the De Wolfe music in the snazzy new Second Sight doorstopper release. There's the odd slightly iffy track, but almost all of it is so tied to Dawn in my mind that I couldn't possibly watch it without it.

I was pleased that they had that bit of classical sounded music they put on during that last supper scene. I don't recall it being on the single CD De Wolfe Dawn soundtrack CD (the one with the black and yellow cover art), so was chuffed to hear it on the full beans version.

The Goblin stuff that Romero does use works really well, true, but he also uses it just enough without over-doing it (unlike in Argento's edit of the film, which goes too hard on the Goblin stuff, and makes some oddball choices ... mind you, I was quite keen on "Zaratozom" (IIRC), which (IIRC), Argento used during the biker invasion ... ... that said, I think the music did distract from the thunderous racket of the bikers invading the mall, which is much more threatening.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So the Mall Hours version must be much the same as this "Complete Cut" then...
    I don't know for sure, but I would assume so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    You're quite mad.

I think the library stuff works wonderfully in Romero's edits, he had a good ear for picking the right piece for the right moment, as well as juxtaposing those pieces of music. I've just listened to both CDs of the De Wolfe music in the snazzy new Second Sight doorstopper release. There's the odd slightly iffy track, but almost all of it is so tied to Dawn in my mind that I couldn't possibly watch it without it.

I was pleased that they had that bit of classical sounded music they put on during that last supper scene. I don't recall it being on the single CD De Wolfe Dawn soundtrack CD (the one with the black and yellow cover art), so was chuffed to hear it on the full beans version.

The Goblin stuff that Romero does use works really well, true, but he also uses it just enough without over-doing it (unlike in Argento's edit of the film, which goes too hard on the Goblin stuff, and makes some oddball choices ... mind you, I was quite keen on "Zaratozom" (IIRC), which (IIRC), Argento used during the biker invasion ... ... that said, I think the music did distract from the thunderous racket of the bikers invading the mall, which is much more threatening.
    I completely agree. I think the library music works very well. Dawn just isn't "right" to me without it.

Luckily, if I remember right, the Mall Hours version has most, if not all of the library music. There are a couple hiccups from the combined footage, but not too awful at all when you consider what was done.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’m with Nick on this one - as much as I love Goblin, the DeWolfe library music is almost another character in the movie and helps make it the masterpiece that is!

More on topic, I have a German blu-ray of the complete cut, extended cut - whatever you wanna call it - and just watched it last year for the first time. It’s absolutely crazy how much footage is in it that I’ve never seen before. Sure a lot of it is just a combination of all 3 official cuts, but there is a serious amount of little extra b It’s of dialogue or shots here and there, that I was super excited over because it was footage I had never seen before. From what I remember, the biker scene in particular had a lot of new stuff added to it. It’s a must-see for die hard fans like us!

Also... HELLO BOYS, I’M BAAAACK!

Super Moderator

UK
    I've never watched this "complete cut" fan edit before, I think I saw a bit, but the editing was too choppy and jarring and it kinda put me off. But then again, I would be intrigued to see the unseen bits of footage - are these bits of footage that have appeared in no other version of the film?

Also - hi, Mike!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've never watched this "complete cut" fan edit before, I think I saw a bit, but the editing was too choppy and jarring and it kinda put me off. But then again, I would be intrigued to see the unseen bits of footage - are these bits of footage that have appeared in no other version of the film?
    I don't think this is to be confused with a fan cut? ie: The impression I get from this "Complete Cut" is it doesn't appear to be stuck togethor, with differences in quality/colouring etc etc... At least from the reviews I've read.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    The XT Video blu ray did a pretty great job with making it as least jarring as possible, but remastering the different sources to look very similar. Every now and then you can tell when a scene will add in a bit from a different source, but it’s not often and it’s not that bad at all. They also reworked a bunch of the audio so that helps too - from what I remember, there aren’t any sharp audio cuts or anything. Overall, it feels like an official cut, not a fan edit.

There is a lot of footage that I have no clue where they got it from. I guess somehow they got their hands on reels of unused footage. Most of it comes in the form of a few extra seconds on shots of zombie kills, or an extra line or two at the end of a scene. But there are some entirely new zombie kills, shots of zombies roaming the malls, and a couple of entire scenes of dialogue that we never saw before such as Flyboy and Peter talking about what to do if Fran gets bitten.

I can’t recommend it enough!
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 03-Dec-2020 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Forgot some stuff.

Ireland
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeh, so:-
    I would say is the ‘Extended Mall Cut’ / ‘Ultimate Final Cut’ was rough around the edges; there was colour and sound distortion which was noticeable on the ‘deleted’ scenes which had been added. Those issues are not present on the ‘Complete Cut’, the scenes are combined seamlessly and there is no noticeable disparity while watching the film, everything looks fine in that regard.
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    The XT Video blu ray did a pretty great job with making it as least jarring as possible, but remastering the different sources to look very similar. Every now and then you can tell when a scene will add in a bit from a different source, but it’s not often and it’s not that bad at all. They also reworked a bunch of the audio so that helps too - from what I remember, there aren’t any sharp audio cuts or anything. Overall, it feels like an official cut, not a fan edit.

There is a lot of footage that I have no clue where they got it from. I guess somehow they got their hands on reels of unused footage. Most of it comes in the form of a few extra seconds on shots of zombie kills, or an extra line or two at the end of a scene. But there are some entirely new zombie kills, shots of zombies roaming the malls, and a couple of entire scenes of dialogue that we never saw before such as Flyboy and Peter talking about what to do if Fran gets bitten.

I can’t recommend it enough!
    This must be that obscure "German cut" (it seems like it is actually Austrian) of the film that I heard about years ago, which was said to have some additional scenes not found in any of the other known cuts. Always wondered where in blazes did they get that extra footage from.

United States
    I have no idea where the "Extended Mall Hours" .iso disc image I have was originally sourced from. It's been a while since I watched it, but I thought it was pretty well put together. It's not perfect, but it's enjoyable.

The dialogue about what to do with Fran if she got bit was in there, but if i remember correctly, that was from the Argento cut.

This might be the version I have. I only watched a few minutes of it.

Edit: There appear to be some fairly rough transitions in there. Oh well. Whaddya want for free?
    Last edited by beat_truck; 04-Dec-2020 at 04:28 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    This must be that obscure "German cut" (it seems like it is actually Austrian) of the film that I heard about years ago, which was said to have some additional scenes not found in any of the other known cuts. Always wondered where in blazes did they get that extra footage from.
    You are correct! It’s that German cut.

United States
    Looks like there is still so many versions I’ve never seen. Was never a fan of the Argento version. I prefer the original music. Extended cut was cool.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."