Thread: Joseph Pilato nearly starred in 'From Dusk til Dawn'

Administrator

England

Joseph Pilato nearly starred in 'From Dusk til Dawn'

Thought I'd upload this to the new HPotD youtube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX0K5bdXQu0
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Never liked 'From Dusk til Dawn', but I'd have liked to see Pilato in it. Wonder why he didn't get the gig.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Never liked 'From Dusk til Dawn', but I'd have liked to see Pilato in it. Wonder why he didn't get the gig.
    https://www.homepageofthedead.com/fi...erviews_1.html

You know originally From Dusk till Dawn was written for me? But it didn't happen... It happened for George Clooney! It had to be about '88 and I got a call from Bob Kurtzman and he wanted me to read the script and write a letter of intent. So I went to a party and there was Quentin and he was like, "Oh wow! Captain Rhodes!" Anyway, months go by nothing, nothing, nothing! Then one day I wake up and two words 'Reservoir Dogs' were all over the place. Apparently he had taken the money from writing Dusk to start up Reservour Dogs. So the next thing you know Quentin is like the next Orson Welles. Still Dusk can't get made. From what I understand Kurtzman was trying to unload it. The next thing you know Quentin buys it back and makes it and I didn't even get an audition! <Laughs> It's a sad story! I was in the original trailer. Maybe I should put that out on the website and sell it for like ten bucks a copy? <Laughs> There's me, before Reservoir Dogs came out, in the black suit with the white shirt and black tie, the whole Tarantino thing!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    When Pilato was onboard the project was probably a real low budget and low risk affair, something around 5 million I'd guess. When a studio finally picked it up and greenlit a budget of 19 million they probably had a shortlist of actors they considered acceptable in the lead role. Clooney being one of them. Pilato did not have the star quality required.

Happens all the time.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 18-Nov-2020 at 10:20 AM. Reason: weqqwe

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    When Pilato was onboard the project was probably a real low budget and low risk affair, something around 5 million I'd guess. When a studio finally picked it up and greenlit a budget of 19 million they probably had a shortlist of actors they considered acceptable in the lead role. Clooney being one of them. Pilato did not have the star quality required.

Happens all the time.
    Agreed. But it seemed clear to me when I spoke to him, he saw that as a moment his career went down route A instead of B...
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Poor Joe. That would make you a bit bitter all right.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I'm with ya not caring for film. Though Selma Hayek's scenes..........

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Though Selma Hayek's scenes..........
    Why's that?

Just a coincidence Tarantino wrote himself into that role?
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

United States
    The most though provoking scene and element in that film will always be the East Asian son.
    The part where George's character goes "what's up with y'all? gay?" (paraphrasing) will always be, tarantino's way of having Clooney, for that moment, speak for the audience.