Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMA: I Saw Romero's Lost Film Amusement Park

Fresh Meat

United States

AMA: I Saw Romero's Lost Film Amusement Park

Hello there HPoTD:

I live in Pittsburgh which you can imagine has some perks if you're Romero nerd such as myself. Hell I even live about two streets away from Tom Savini. About a year back I had tickets to a screening of Day of the Dead which was kickass as it had a Q&A with Lori Cardille and John Amplass. If I recall Russ Striener was also there. More notably though this was the premier screening of The Amusement Park which was filmed in 1974 and mostly unseen since that night. Might have some pics to prove it if you need it but I can take some Qs from the curious.

Super Moderator

Germany
    What did you think of Amusement Park?

Fresh Meat

United States
    I really dug it! It's not like a normal Romero movie, I'd saw its closer to a Twilight Zone episode. Maybe more properly a Tales from the Dark Side episode. I'll saY my girlfriend who attended and isn't much of a Romero/zombie fan came with me and said it was his scariest work.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'm looking forward to it, but the amount of hype that's been built up around it means I'm bound for a disappointment. Still - as I said - when there's a way to see it I will do it. Kind of into a Romero-groove at the moment.

Administrator

England
    Odd to think nearly 50yrs on most of us (still) haven't had the chance to see it!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Like Ned, as soon as there's a way to see it, I wanna see it.

I presume, being that it was made in 1974, it's got that mid-70s Romero vibe in terms of the cinematography and editing in particular? I've always been a big fan of Romero's editing.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

I presume, being that it was made in 1974, it's got that mid-70s Romero vibe in terms of the cinematography and editing in particular? I've always been a big fan of Romero's editing.
    His editing style was awesome. One of the big reasons why his newer films never fully clicked with me. Felt like everything else once other editors touched his work.

I wanna see Amusement Park just like everyone else. Hopefully one day!
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 07-Dec-2020 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Boo boo
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Fresh Meat

United States

I can tell you it felt very Crazies/Martin in the looks department

Rising

United States
    @0:56 is that one of the bikers from Dawn?

United States

It’s on Shudder June 8th!

Edit: Thanks, MZ!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 03-Jun-2021 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Don’t know why my pics are always small plz help
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    I'll watch it sans hyperbole. If this film is a masterpiece.....HA....whatever.

I'm going in expecting shit like 'Season of the Witch" or "There's Always Vanilla."

I don't really like this crap as much as I once did nor am I as tolerant of "low budget" film making as I once was. Life just keeps changing you.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    I'll watch it sans hyperbole. If this film is a masterpiece.....HA....whatever.

I'm going in expecting shit like 'Season of the Witch" or "There's Always Vanilla."

I don't really like this crap as much as I once did nor am I as tolerant of "low budget" film making as I once was. Life just keeps changing you.
    I love Season of the Witch lol

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I love Season of the Witch lol
    First time I saw it I was quite disappointed, but was also going in expecting something entirely different - and I was a snotty teenager at the time - hardly the right audience or mindset for it, although I did find the home invasion sequence to be thrillingly edited and shot.

Fast forward many years to, well, last year, and I checked it out again in its longer form (although I think I might have seen that version all those years ago on Channel 4) and found it to be a really fascinating film. The daughter is of the new generation and has all these freedoms that the mother has just missed out on, not quite young enough for but still not quite old enough to completely miss out on. It's a really interesting look at suburban women of the 1970s, especially against the backdrop of the time and what all happened with the ERA etc. There were some really sly ideas in there too, such as when she's buying all this witchcraft stuff with a credit card, and there's some really nice bits of dream/reality melding going on.

I also ended up enjoying, albeit to a slightly lesser degree, There's Always Vanilla. I saw it for the first time last year, and would have no doubt hated it if I'd seen it when I was a teenager just as I was getting started on Romero's filmography. It's a really scruffy film in some ways, having been kind of cobbled together, but it's a great time capsule movie - of Pittsburgh in the very early 1970s - and to see Romero experimenting with his craft. Again, there's some really interesting sequences, such as the scene where they get to know each other and the whole thing is just questions and no answers. It's also a nifty and no doubt quite authentic glimpse inside the world of regional TV advertising. In some ways it makes quite a good thematic double bill with Season of the Witch.

I did a review of SOTW here - https://deadshed.blogspot.com/2020/1...-1972-blu.html

And I also did a review of There's Always Vanilla here - http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2020/08...ge-romero.html
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 03-Jun-2021 at 04:37 PM.

United States
    I haven't seen Season of the Witch since I was in my teens around 20+ years ago. I HATED it. I have it, but I doubt I will ever watch it again. There's Always Vanilla was a turd too, but I did get slightly more out of it. Seeing shots of Pittsburgh and picking out the folks involved in making NOTLD were honestly the most interesting things about it, though. The fact that the beautiful Judith Ridley starred in it made it a little better, too.

I'm sure I will give The Amusement Park a watch eventually. I don't have super high hopes for it, but it does look kind of interesting.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 03-Jun-2021 at 09:28 PM. Reason: .