Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Down for the last 24hrs...

Administrator

England

Down for the last 24hrs...

The site was down for the last 24hrs as my provider detected a malicous file.

The ANNOYING thing is, that 'malcious file' was from 16yrs ago, when a true attack occured on the site, and an affected page (with nothing more than an insult written in it) was renamed out of the way. It's sat there for 16yrs, quite rightly being no problem, but yesterday, my provider decided some naughty words in a backed up file was a sign of a malicious attack, so disabled the entire site.

I immediately just deleted that 16yr old file, and then it took them nigh on 24hrs to reenabled it.

Sigh!

More hassle and stress! Great!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    It had an incubation period of 16 years.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    It had an incubation period of 16 years.
    Question: Did you visit while it was down, so you got the warning page? If so, did you just happen to retry today (ie: 30 mins ago), and voila the site was available? Did you do a reload on the warning page? Eg: An F5?

Or did you not visit while it was down?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I never got a warning page, just a page from the provider saying the site was down temporarily. Saw that yesterday and today - only came here 'cos I had email notifications of responses to threads.

Glad HPOTD's back online!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I never got a warning page, just a page from the provider saying the site was down temporarily. Saw that yesterday and today - only came here 'cos I had email notifications of responses to threads.

Glad HPOTD's back online!
    Yeh, by warning page, I mean the page saying the site was down temporarily. Thing is that warning page can be cached for some people, so unless they keep coming back, or happen to refresh (F5), they may not get back to the site, instead their browser will show them that cached warning page.

The fact some of you are getting back to the site, after having had that warning page, without any faff is a good sign though!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yeh, by warning page, I mean the page saying the site was down temporarily. Thing is that warning page can be cached for some people, so unless they keep coming back, or happen to refresh (F5), they may not get back to the site, instead their browser will show them that cached warning page.

The fact some of you are getting back to the site, after having had that warning page, without any faff is a good sign though!
    I logged into the site on my laptop now and it first showed the cached "warning page". I then F5:d and the main page showed up.

Administrator

England
    I logged into the site on my laptop now and it first showed the cached "warning page". I then F5:d and the main page showed up.
    Which is crap! The number of people who wouldn't refresh like you did, would just keep getting the warning page for days? Weeks? How long!?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I was wondering what happened Neil. I tried getting onto the site a few times and got the "the site is not available" thing.

It was then I realised that I've probably logged onto here every day for the past few years.

I have no life.

Seriously though, kinda funny that the provider bot would view a 16 year old "malcious" file as a problem. But at least it shows they're being thorough.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I was wondering what happened Neil. I tried getting onto the site a few times and got the "the site is not available" thing.

It was then I realised that I've probably logged onto here every day for the past few years.

I have no life.

Seriously though, kinda funny that the provider bot would view a 16 year old "malcious" file as a problem. But at least it shows they're being thorough.
    I bet there are more things you've done every day for the last 16 years. Checking this site takes me like 4-5 minutes tops. Most people spend way more time than that on Facebook.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    And all that 16yr old file contained was some dubious comments and questions of the lineage of 'jews'... ie: Not deadly code.
    -Carl Sagan

Being Attacked

United States
    So weird, for me when I came on here, it showed me a page that stated HPOTD became public domain?

Ireland
    I bet there are more things you've done every day for the last 16 years.
    Nah. Drinking and HPOTD...often at the same time.

That's pretty much been it.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    I'm actually surprised that some of you have been accessing the site for the past week or so. Where I am, this is in fact the first day that the site has become available again after almost 2 weeks of the "site not available" message.
    Last edited by JDP; 25-Jan-2021 at 06:12 PM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I'm actually surprised that some of you have been accessing the site for the past week or so. Where I am, this is in fact the first day that the site has become available again after almost 2 weeks of the "site not available" message.
    That's disconcerting. Did you try to refresh at any one time?

Rising

United States
    That's disconcerting. Did you try to refresh at any one time?
    I tried accessing the site every day for the past almost 2 weeks since it first gave that message, to no avail until today. Always the same "not available" screen, every day.