Thread: Coming to America 2 (Amazon film)

Administrator

England

Coming to America 2 (Amazon film)

Be interesting to see how well the formula works 30yrs on.

Being launched March 5th.

It'll also be interesting to see in this PC era when the likes of Jenette Goldstein is criticised for darkening her skin colour in the 1980s (Aliens) to appear hispanic, to see Murphy white face as a Jew (again) with no similar scrutiny...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY8gUtyeAKE
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Maybe some Twitter warriors will kick off about Murphy donning the Jewish make-up once the film has actually released.

I did think it was curious that nobody has really said anything about that in the current climate. I never found it offensive in the original film myself, but I'm also not Jewish either. Do Jewish people care about him portraying that character? They should really only be the people to have an actual opinion on the matter - but it certainly is strange, especially when even a voice has to match up now (what happened to Carl's voice on The Simpson's? That was a surprise, watching an episode the other day ... shite episode, actually, Lisa daydreaming she was Leondaro DaVinci or some bollocks.)
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-Feb-2021 at 05:03 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Maybe some Twitter warriors will kick off about Murphy donning the Jewish make-up once the film has actually released.

I did think it was curious that nobody has really said anything about that in the current climate. I never found it offensive in the original film myself, but I'm also not Jewish either. Do Jewish people care about him portraying that character? They should really only be the people to have an actual opinion on the matter - but it certainly is strange, especially when even a voice has to match up now (what happened to Carl's voice on The Simpson's? That was a surprise, watching an episode the other day ... shite episode, actually, Lisa daydreaming she was Leondaro DaVinci or some bollocks.)
    Little/none of the stuff the PC mob get their pitch forks out for is truly offensive, and nothing people shouldn't be able to simply tolerate (now there's a word from my childhood). It's seemingly just used as a tool to silence/cancel/control folks they don't want speaking So the double standards simply underline this IMHO...

So will be interesting to see the tumbleweed while Murphy white faces and culturally appropriates...

Anyhoo, I was speaking to my other half about this film last night and the first thing she said was, '...will that style of film work today?'
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    The amount of time that has passed since the previous film will be the main thing - literally decades - it won't feel the same, that's for sure, and certainly so with a completely different director at the helm. So it'll definitely feel different straight out of the gate, but I think the sheer amount of time that has passed will also skew perceptions of the film ... or it simply won't be able to live up to a film that has been in people's lives for, again, decades at this point.

Belated sequels - or very belated sequels - usually have a tendency to not quite feel right, or struggle to gel with what came before.

Even times when they do get it right (e.g. Sin City 2 - released too long after the iron had cooled off), then it gets slagged off for being 'more of the same'. It's a sequel - what do you expect?!

Administrator

England
    The amount of time that has passed since the previous film will be the main thing - literally decades - it won't feel the same, that's for sure, and certainly so with a completely different director at the helm. So it'll definitely feel different straight out of the gate, but I think the sheer amount of time that has passed will also skew perceptions of the film ... or it simply won't be able to live up to a film that has been in people's lives for, again, decades at this point.

Belated sequels - or very belated sequels - usually have a tendency to not quite feel right, or struggle to gel with what came before.

Even times when they do get it right (e.g. Sin City 2 - released too long after the iron had cooled off), then it gets slagged off for being 'more of the same'. It's a sequel - what do you expect?!
    Talking of belated sequels, we have Top Gun 2 and the latest Bill & Ted film to see
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Maybe it's the makeup but both Eddie Murphy (59) and Arsenio Hall (65) look great. Eddie Murphy was really, really young when he broke in.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    Maybe it's the makeup but both Eddie Murphy (59) and Arsenio Hall (65) look great. Eddie Murphy was really, really young when he broke in.
    For 59 and 65, they do look good!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Talking of belated sequels, we have Top Gun 2 and the latest Bill & Ted film to see
    I've heard that B&T #3 is good, but not up to the standards of the original films - but I was expecting that. I still really want to see it, but will temper expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    Arsenio in particular - he looks fantastic. Murphy's got a bit more timber on him these days, but yeah, he was so damn young when he hit the scene and he ain't doing at all bad these days either - he looked very good for his age in My Name Is Dolemite.

Ireland
    Looking "good" won't make for a good film though.

And neither have been in anything worthwhile for a long, long, time. Although Murphy has a slight edge on Hall.

And I can't see a sequel to 'Coming to America' working. The irreverent nature of the comedy in the first movie just won't travel today.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    And neither have been in anything worthwhile for a long, long, time. Although Murphy has a slight edge on Hall.
    My Name Is Dolemite was excellent. Written by the same guys who did Ed Wood and The People vs Larry Flynt.

Ireland
    My Name Is Dolemite was excellent. Written by the same guys who did Ed Wood and The People vs Larry Flynt.
    That was the "slight edge" I was referring to.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    That was the "slight edge" I was referring to.
    I'd argue it's more than "slight", as that movie was awesome ... mind you, I'm not familiar with Hall's recent output, so I may very well be doing him a disservice.