Thread: Valheim (video game)

Administrator

England

Valheim (video game)

Any other folks here playing this early access game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4afjS__oo
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    If this game is this good in alpha already. WTF is it going to be like in a year at planned release?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I keep looking at it on Steam and the reviews are all excellent, not committed myself yet though as I have so many other games I need to finish before I start buying more!

Administrator

England
    It's like an RPG light type game. Simple mechanics in a huge world, and very accessible.

My biggest issues so far are the simplicity of the enemies (basically spawn and charge) and the grind/building loop where when you move to a new area, you have to build a new house again, which sort of feels tired after a while..,.
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I gave in and downloaded this at the weekend, I'm just playing it on my own but starting to feel myself getting dragged into it. I've built myself a nice Viking longhouse next to the sea surrounded by a log defensive wall with a central fireplace and a mezzanine for my storage chests, and after a few trips into the black forest looking for dungeons I managed to get enough of the surtling cores to make a smelter and forge. So far I've not really got far beyond smelting enough copper to make a small knife and I found some tin last night that I'll be exploring recipes with next time I play it. As you say the enemies are pretty simple, although those skeletons can be a real pain and there's something creepy about seeing one of those huge blue Trolls wandering about in the forest, even more so if it sees you and gives chase while swinging an enormous club around that fells trees and anything else in its path!
    It's very similar to Minecraft with a Norse theme, the textures are very low res and basic but it still manages to look quite stunning at certain points. There's some surprising detail as well, it didn't take me long after building my house to realise that the smoke from my fire wasn't escaping and I had to fashion a chimney into the roof to let it out!

Administrator

England
    Sorry, missed your post that you'd finally got this

I think I'll play it for a little bit longer, and then put it aside until it's finally released. Hopefully then there will be more exploration, enemy and more involved enemy AI too...

ps: When you find things like copper, supposedly if you keep digging down, you can find about 100% more of it... Not tried it myself yet
    -Carl Sagan