Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreaded Days of the Dead

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Dreaded Days of the Dead

I was a major fan of Dawn of the Dead 04. I thought the running zombies was an excellent new concept and I looked forward to and hoped there would be a Dawn of the Dead 2. When I heard of Day of the Dead I was originally overwhelmed. But now that I see Ving Rhames being casted as Captain Rhodes, it has filled me with despair for this movie.

First off, this is not a direct sequel to Dawn 04. This is like Zombie 2 and 3 by Fulci and Zombie 4 by Fragasso. Same name, no relation, different rules (what rules?) nothing! And I wouldn't be turned off by the fact that it's not a direct sequel. What turns me off is that this film is being done by the same company that released Day of the Dead 2, an effete piece of **** indie film that Ancher Bay deliberately tried to deceive the fans into believing it was a relation to Day by using the name, font and design of the original when it has no ties to the story or to its director and made no attempts to at least TRY and pay homeage. Where is the morale in that? Where is the respect?

Day of the Dead is going to have Ving Rhames in it "to try and connect the two films." Judging by past discretion does that mean that Rhames' appearance is going to be the only connection because of his face? To dupe people into believing it's a direct sequel? I loved Rhames character and his role in Dawn. But for the love of christ if he's not going to play the same character then he shouldn't be in it at all. I could understand a Bub kind of character, it would be a let down for me but I could understand that.

Fact of the matter is that I am skeptical when this project involves Robert Franklin Dudelson and James Glenn Dudelson, two guys who ****ed all over Day by making that sequel. It's seems reason to suspect all they care about is capitalizing on a name or image without caring who they dupe, deceive or disrespect.

I'm going to hope, but it is probably futile, that Ving Rhames will be playing a captain rhodes character, not exactly captain rhodes the sequel. That is one thing the news isn't clear on. Reason why this may be a possibility is that Nick Cannon (black) cannot play a character named Miguel Salazar (unless the Dudelson's totally have no respect for common sense and realism).

If I had my way, it would follow the original Day, have Rings (character from Dawn) in charge of the group a la Rhodes but not exactly the central focus. The zombies need to run, and continue on with the story. Whether Anchor (Ankle Grip) Bay wants to acknowledge this fact or not, Dawn 04 came out and people who are not hardcore fans would expect to see the same rules apply, same actor-same character, same rules-running. Instead if this mess this up it is going to fall into the cesspool is confusion that has come to spawn 3 NOTLDs, 2 DawnOTDs, 2 DayOTDs, and one unrelated sequel.

A Day of the Dead remake by Anchor (Ankle Grip) Bay? They already duped us with a horrible sequel, if they dupe us again with a horrible remake the company should be audited, the bulding burned, the creators of this film taken out and shot, the Dudelson's horrible tortured in a Hostel-style demise. A message needs to be sent to Hollywood and filmmakers, respect fast films! Don't try and capitalize on originals solely for profit! That's why I loved Dawn 04, lax story, not exactly an epic, but they tried! New story, new characters, new imaging, new rules! That's what I call a remake! A damn good one! I hope and prey Day of the Dead will follow in its footsteps but I fear my prayers will be answered similar to the many souls that perished on the Titanic following their prayers in the final hours.

Australia
    Thanks for sharing but I don't exactly share your sentiments.

DAY is a remake of DAY, not a sequel to DAWN04, just as DAWN04 was not a sequel to the remake of NIGHT. The rights for each movie are held by different parties and, conceivably, if the DAY remake followed the DAWN remake too closely, it could be accused of plagiarism.

Mind you, that didn't stop the DAWN remake from being the MC Poach-A-Lot sample re-mix of zombie (and infected) movies.

Yeah, its cheeky that they're casting Ving Rhames in what seems to be an underhanded attempt to connect the two films but personally I feel as though we got f*cked over big time with DAWN04 so should the DAY remake have dubious intentions, it comes as no surprise to me.

If DAWN04 can be praised for completely eschewing the mythology laid out by Romero then, similarly, the DAY remake should be entitled to do whatever the hell it wants, including introducing the much-touted and highly anticipated flying zombies as an excellent new concept in cinematic terror.

That the film is attracting some B-list talent (as opposed to Z-list) suggests that the creative control has been taken away from the boobs who made CONTAGIUM (which will be what, now? Still a prequel to the original or a predecessor to the remake?) and given to someone with a slightly better idea of how not to bore the pants off of even the most undemanding of audiences.
    Last edited by Griff; 28-Jul-2006 at 08:55 AM.
    "28 Days Later came out after we started (Dawn 04). Our zombies were running before we knew what their zombies were." - Zack Snyder, LIAR.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Actually don't blame Anchor Bay for the title on Day 2. That was all Taurus Entertainment and some dumbass with Adobe Photoshop.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

United States
    I'm still pretty hopeful. I see Day as the weakest of the original trilogy and, Howard Sherman aside, there's a lot of room for improvement on the acting.

The three primary pitfalls that the new Day can fall into are:

1) Bad FX: Zombie and gore efects were the major strong point of the original Day. While I don't expect the new Day to be as good, or as gory, as the original, I do hope they put out enough gore and keep the quality of the make up and effects up to at least appease people.

2) Lack of Dread & Tension: Even the bad acting and over the top performances of the GIs and Rhodes actually managed to lend the original Day a sesne of frenetic, chaos. I know I felt like I was on a runaway train the first time I watched the film and started identifying with the last few reasonable survivors in the bunker. A feeling of helpless, dread and overwhelming tension is well-cultivated in Day, so this is another area of potential downfall for the remake. Somehow, I feel if the acting is at all sub par, then we will not be reaping a brilliant windfall of tension and miasma, as we did in the original Day. Instead, we could be rolling our eyes.

3) Bub: If the makers mishandle the original idea of Bub they will let a lot of people down. If they go in a different direction from Bub that isn't well thought out they will let a lot of people down. If they try the same old hat with a different actor, they will let a lot of people down. It's a hard situation for the film makers and, as with anything involving a fanbase, and fanboys in particular, they will be ****ing people off no matter what.

Meh. I'm still hopeful. Several aspects of Day can be improved upon, so I guess we'll see.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Banned User

United States
    Personally, I think that if this one has runners, and the film as a whole does as well as Dawn '04...then that's probably the last we'll see of shamblers for a while.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by cinda
    Reason why this may be a possibility is that Nick Cannon (black) cannot play a character named Miguel Salazar (unless the Dudelson's totally have no respect for common sense and realism).
    Maybe you have never heard of Dominicans. Many are African descent with Spanish names, speak spanish etc.
    Look at any Baseball team. There are Lots. Like half the Mets.
    this is in no way meant to excuse the doodle d*cks

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    If DAWN04 can be praised for completely eschewing the mythology laid out by Romero then, similarly, the DAY remake should be entitled to do whatever the hell it wants, including introducing the much-touted and highly anticipated flying zombies as an excellent new concept in cinematic terror.
    Yeah, Flying Zombies!
    ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
    You will believe a messed up corpse can fly
    "they're dead, there all messed up and flying around like superman"

"shoot em in the head"
    "I can't he flew away"
    AWESOME

Btw, MY feelings on 04 are the exact opposite of cinda's.
    Last edited by coma; 30-Jul-2006 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Undisclosed
    You know, we were never given the last names of any of the characters from Dawn '04. What if Kenneth's (Rhames character) last name was Rhodes? And while Ken thought his brother (twin maybe?) was still at Ft. Pastuer, he had actually been tapped for the 'mission' in the Day remake? I know it's cheesy, but it could connect the two movies without being 'a oh ving is in the movie rip off' and still explain why the two characters look the same.

That said, I liked Dawn '04. No it's not as good as Dawn '78 but it's still a fun zombie movie. Personally I'll reserve judgement on the Day remake until I see more of it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog
    You know, we were never given the last names of any of the characters from Dawn '04. What if Kenneth's (Rhames character) last name was Rhodes?.
    Nice idea and all....but he was wearing a police uniform throughout most of the film. Just look at his name plate. I'm sure it's visable at some point.

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    if Rhames is in there without a connection to Dawn 04, it will increase the suckiness of this movie exponentially
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Undisclosed

wtf

I have been in love with GR and I love all the movies. The first Horror/Zombie movie I sat through and loved was Day. I have probably seen it over 100 times since I was a kid. I made all my friends watch it, girlfriends, now ex-wife, my kids and even people I didn't like. This movie even promted me to join the EMS squad in my town. To do so you first had to become an interior fire fighter for the public safety center. I pushed and strived to do so. I put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears just to get first hand gore. I ran with the ambulance for 10 yrs. I've seen it all and been covered in everything from blood to brains to body parts. I must have been under a rock because I am now just hearing about a remake. WTF!!!!! If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Has anyone remade, the Sistine Chapel, the Mona Lisa, the statue of David or last but not least...the Leaning Tower of pisa (and it is broken)? Why have these things been left alone? Because you can't mess with perfection. If anyone is listening to this, I am begging you...I'm even on my knees. Stop now while there still is time. Please don't ruin a huge part of my growing up as well as millions of others.
    THE DEAD WALK!

Martin, LA (the sticks). I'm writing a zombie script to be filmed in this area with cheap DVs!
    United States
    dude, you're supposed to work in emergency response to help people; you're not supposed to work in that field because you want to get off on their bloody demise.

Fictitious movie gore = Cool
    People Dying = Not Cool

What the hell is wrong you?
    I Corinthians 1:18-31 18For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. 20Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. 22For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: 23But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; 24But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God. 25Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by garjo
    WTF!!!!! If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Has anyone remade, the Sistine Chapel, the Mona Lisa, the statue of David or last but not least...the Leaning Tower of pisa (and it is broken)? Why have these things been left alone? Because you can't mess with perfection.
    Interesting point, though all the things you mentioned have had an immense impact on Western culture, AND have been copied, paid homage to and, yes, even reinterpreted in many respects, usually in the form of pop art. If Dawn of the Dead is truly so great that it honestly deserves comparison to the above mentioned hallmarks of Western civilization, then surely it could stand up to being compared to derivtaive works.

Also, it sounds like you're throwing a hissy fit

PS--Welcome to the boards

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights
    Interesting point, though all the things you mentioned have had an immense impact on Western culture, AND have been copied, paid homage to and, yes, even reinterpreted in many respects, usually in the form of pop art. If Dawn of the Dead is truly so great that it honestly deserves comparison to the above mentioned hallmarks of Western civilization, then surely it could stand up to being compared to derivtaive works.

Also, it sounds like you're throwing a hissy fit

PS--Welcome to the boards
    my thoughts exactly

Harvester Of Sorrow Deadman_Deluxe's Avatar
    ViP

England
    Quote Originally Posted by cinda
    I was a major fan of Dawn of the Dead 04. I thought the running zombies was an excellent new concept

Sorry, but i stopped reading at that point ... have a nice life etc etc

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Does anyone have any hope for DAY 2007?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*